ATF Is Not Approving NFA submissions from MA

Well boys and girls, time to grab the ankles and hold on. I've had an SBR app in for 9 months (submitted on 4/7) and after a number of calls and emails, finally got this back from the ATF (talking about the AWB notice):

"The notice makes clear that the guidance will not be enforced against gun owners who bought or sold these weapons prior to July 20, 2016. However, it is unclear whether State law permits the possessor of such an "assault weapon" to make an NFA firearm out of the assault weapon after this date, or whether State law would prohibit this action. Because 26 U.S.C. 5822 requires that ATF deny any application to make an NFA firearm if the making “would place the person making the firearm in violation of the law,” ATF is seeking guidance from the Massachusetts Attorney General before it acts on any applications."

UPDATE: 1/20/2017 - Flood gates have opened. Stamps now being approved!!

I saw someone else got the same and posted in the long wait time thread but wanted to call it out. Its the real deal. [crying]

Last edited:
Ok so does the Fed's use the actual law or what the AG thinks the law is.
Seems odd to me that the fed had it wrong all these years?

Ok so does the Fed's use the actual law or what the AG thinks the law is.
Seems odd to me that the fed had it wrong all these years?

Because 26 U.S.C. 5822 requires that ATF deny any application to make an NFA firearm if the making “would place the person making the firearm in violation of the law,” ATF is seeking guidance from the Massachusetts Attorney General before it acts on any applications."

I believe that explains it. I'm sure "Her Majesty" will clear this up quickly 035.gif

Last edited:
this is so incredibly frustrating. I know Healey is using this position to her advantage and delaying a clarification as long as possible. As long as the ATF is unclear they will keep our applications on hold.

We need to bombard Healey to make some judgement call here. AFAIK, her latest decree does not address NFA items at all and unless she further wants to amend her decree (wouldn't be very surprised) there should be no reason why we can't get our SBR's.

"The notice makes clear that the guidance will not be enforced against gun owners who bought or sold these weapons prior to July 20, 2016. However, it is unclear whether State law permits the possessor of such an "assault weapon" to make an NFA firearm out of the assault weapon after this date, or whether State law would prohibit this action. Because 26 U.S.C. 5822 requires that ATF deny any application to make an NFA firearm if the making “would place the person making the firearm in violation of the law,” ATF is seeking guidance from the Massachusetts Attorney General before it acts on any applications."

Great, more guidance. (i.e., "made up shit")

This reads to me like it shouldn't be an issue converting any pre-ban (like pre '94) rifles, since they're clearly not "banned assault weapons"

It would be nice if the ATF stopped cooperation with the AG until their questions were answered in writing. After all she is refusing to respond in a timely manner and thus obstructing the duties of a federal agency.

What about brand new, not even remotely AR or AK or other named rifles?

Like maybe a short M14?

this is so incredibly frustrating. I know Healey is using this position to her advantage and delaying a clarification as long as possible. As long as the ATF is unclear they will keep our applications on hold.

We need to bombard Healey to make some judgement call here. AFAIK, her latest decree does not address NFA items at all and unless she further wants to amend her decree (wouldn't be very surprised) there should be no reason why we can't get our SBR's.

Mark my words, she isn't "delaying a clarification", she will NEVER give any clarification to BATFE or anyone else. Meanwhile everything is in legal limbo and her goal is achieved . . . stop all legal activity with those firearms.

Sad that she can get away with it, but she certainly can.

I'm not sure how the relationship works between US AG and state AGs, but does the incoming US Attorney General Jeff Sessions (assuming that he is approved) have any input into the bullshit Maura is dealing out?

I'm not sure how the relationship works between US AG and state AGs, but does the incoming US Attorney General Jeff Sessions (assuming that he is approved) have any input into the bullshit Maura is dealing out?

State AGs are completely separate. But pissing off your federal counterparts is never a good idea if you want cooperation and sharing of resources.

Mark my words, she isn't "delaying a clarification", she will NEVER give any clarification to BATFE or anyone else. Meanwhile everything is in legal limbo and her goal is achieved . . . stop all legal activity with those firearms.

Sad that she can get away with it, but she certainly can.

I remain utterly baffled by all of this. Massatwoshits is awash in textbook arbitrary and capricious... and manage to get away with it. Why hasn't this reached a federal court for a GTFO?

Maura is too busy working with the Texas lawyers she hired at our expense to write her brief scheduled for submittal by 2/1/17.

Find a lawyer that's willing to take case and/or someone to finance it. Let us know how it turns out and what the total bill is at the end

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Find a lawyer that's willing to take case and/or someone to finance it. Let us know how it turns out and what the total bill is at the end

Judging by somewhat similar circumstances of AG's run amok in other states, there's only one recourse. And that involves a ballot.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Depending how the awb lawsuit progresses, or if it fails.in 1 year i may hire a lawyer.
It wont help you guys much if any because mycase will be about machine guns.
Ive got a third of my networth tied up in transfers at this point, so i don't really see any alternative..

I just hope it doesnt come to that.

Getting a refund on my stamps and going to go about it another legal way. This AG nonsense will take forever.

Suggestion from the cheap seats?

Keep your stamp application in while pursuing any other avenue. That way if there's any type of action taken against Maura, or the ATF reviews and changes their "mind", your application is still queued.

Back
Top Bottom