• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

ATF Infringement

Would help if you put a little more context/info up. Is this something new? Link to more info?

Would help if you put a little more context/info up. Is this something new? Link to more info?

TL;DR version -- The ATF determined that the Honey Badger was designed to be fired "from the shoulder" and therefore is an SBR and not a pistol.

Cease and Desist Letter:

View: https://www.scribd.com/document/479286241/ATF-Cease-and-Desist-letter-to-Q-Regarding-the-Honey-Badger-Pistol-Brace-Q-LLC-6-02-02814

Whether that ruling extends to all AK- or AR-based pistols I'm totally unqualified to say. I've never shot nor even handled that type of weapon.

TL;DR version -- The ATF determined that the Honey Badger was designed to be fired "from the shoulder" and therefore is an SBR and not a pistol.

Cease and Desist Letter:

View: https://www.scribd.com/document/479286241/ATF-Cease-and-Desist-letter-to-Q-Regarding-the-Honey-Badger-Pistol-Brace-Q-LLC-6-02-02814

Whether that ruling extends to all AK- or AR-based pistols I'm totally unqualified to say. I've never shot nor even handled that type of weapon.

So it’s not something new, it’s just somebody imagining that something bad might happen. 🤷‍♂️🍻

Nope, this is new and further changes in their opinion.
So it’s not something new, it’s just somebody imagining that something bad might happen. 🤷‍♂️🍻
It is new.

If true, I think it's f*cking criminal and unconstitutional, but that's never stopped the ATF before.

waco-siege.jpg

I believe they've backpedaled since and went back to calling it a pistol, or at least went back and said "to be determined"

I'll see if I can find the article on it. It was within the last week or two.

Edit to add-
Wasn't a reversal, it was the justice dept stepping in and puttin a 60 day hold on the a.t.f. action.

Last edited:
I believe they've backpedaled since and went back to calling it a pistol, or at least went back and said "to be determined"

correct
The ATFE issued a stay on their own cease and desist letter until after the election. The newest news, in the video above, is retroactively making ALL ar/ak pistols NFA items.

Last edited:

That was in reference with the Q Honey Badger. This is the ATF saying all pistol variants of rifles (AR, AK, Ruger PC carbine, etc.) are AOW's or SBR's. I would also believe the Mossberg Shockwave will not be spared.

This is a major escalation by the ATF because since the sunset of the federal AWB stuff like AR pistols has been legal to own, you just couldn't put a stock on them and fire off the shoulder. Then these braces came about and the ATF first said still can't shoot off the shoulder, then said you can, now they don't like it.

If I was smarter I'd say this sounds like the ATF is attempting to entrap millions of gun owners, at least on the braces. The classifying pistol versions of rifles like AR's and AK's as AOW's is blatantly unconstitutional because these are categorized as "pistols", some large enough to be categorized as "firearms", and thus subjecting them to the AOW category of the NFA law is... well, illegal.

My guess is the legal reasoning the ATF will use is that the AR pistols are so frequently being shot with the other hand supporting the gun in front of the trigger is constituting as a second vertical grip, which is the only way that the ATF can classify it as an AOW.

The braces being an SBR is difficult to argue, most people are using them against the shoulder as a stock, even tho they're not meant to be buttstocks.

If the ATF wants to open pandora's box, please do, there are 5 SCOTUS justices now and this would be perfect fodder for them to strike down and start chipping away at the NFA act and the ATF.

My fear is with the ATF making all these moves a week before the election is that this is signaling that Trump is not going to be re-elected and this is a perfectly setting the stage for Biden/Harris to Exec. Order that all semi auto firearms violate the machine gun law of the NFA given how easy they can be converted to fire "simulated full auto" via bumpfiring.

If the ATF wants to open pandora's box, please do, there are 5 SCOTUS justices now and this would be perfect fodder for them to strike down and start chipping away at the NFA act and the ATF.

Maybe thats the 5D plan, since this is coming right after getting ACB

Its more effective for an Alphabet Agency to declare or in this states case, "Reinterpret" that "Product A, B, and Chas now changed genders and identifies as extra-killy".
Doing so now puts a stop to a lot of things and leaves it to be tied up in the courts for months or years.
They no longer have to prove that it is, its left to someone else to prove that it isn't.

I believe there is more/recent developments beyond the Q issue. I'm seeing chatter that they basically want to classify imported AR pistol builds as $5 tax stamp AOW, but that if you build your own it would still be a $200 tax stamp as an SBR? But the general vibe I'm seeing is that they are trending towards/indicating they will be reclassifying pistol brace AR's as NFA.

I suspect this won't go as simply as the bump stock ban went....

Trump doesn't give a shit about 2A.

He does when it comes to his base. The ATF pausing the Honey Badger opinion was a direct result of applying pressure to the executive.

With this new change of interpretations, it certainly seems like people at the ATF are trying to mess with the election.

All this said, you’re right that President Trump doesn’t personally care about the 2A. He’s not anti-2A, but he just doesn’t care. When he’s a lame duck president, there’s no telling what he would rubber stamp. Hopefully republicans keep the Senate as a check of power, regardless of who is in the Oval Office.

Um, EVERY AR pistol??? So if I pull the brace off of my tube, it's the same AR pistol they were selling before but no one was buying???? That's suddenly illegal??? Nahbrah.

Back
Top Bottom