ATF immediately discontinues accessory classifications

DispositionMatrix

NES Member
Effective Immediately: Discontinuance of Accessory Classifications
The Firearms Technology Industry Services Branch (FTISB) classifies firearms as defined by the Gun Control Act (GCA) and National Firearms Act (NFA) based on the configuration and the design features of the firearm as submitted by members of the industry.

Effective immediately, any requests for a determination on how an accessory affects the classification of a firearm under the GCA or NFA must include a firearm with the accessory already installed. Except in cases of conditional import determinations, FTISB will not issue a determination on an accessory unless it is attached to the submitted firearm.

If you have previously submitted a sample accessory for classification, FTISB will be returning your sample without classification. FTISB will contact you in the near future with further instructions to facilitate the return of your sample.
ATF DISCONTINUES ACCESSORY CLASSIFICATIONS
Simply put, if an individual or company submits an accessory to ATF for classification and it is not attached to a firearm, they won’t be rendering any decisions on it. Some readers inquired what would happen in a case where the accessory made the firearm subject to the control of the NFA. In the past, ATF has returned those items to individuals or companies that hold the appropriate type of SOT. If the individual or company lacks the appropriate SOT, ATF has not returned the item. To the best of my knowledge, ATF has not previously charged any individuals with GCA or NFA violations for seeking a determination.

With ATF and DOJ expected to take regulatory action in the future, one has to wonder if this is in anyway related.

Technically, can you ship firearms to the atf? I mean the law only states manufacturers and gunsmiths right? Not governmental organizations.
I know it's a non issue but I hate it when the government ignores laws when they are inconvenienced under the "well we won't charge them" concept.

This is the same as police departments "in the business" of buying firearms "with the intention of giving them to a 3rd party"...

One thing is for sure. The ATF has a knack with expanding “gray area” guidance.

Of any fed .gov agency, the ATF has zero constitutional basis for existence.

This looks like some kind of sweating based on that supreme court case referenced in the other thread.... like they are cleaning house in a vain attempt to maintain power in case a ruling came down.... clearly, only ruling on an “accessory” is far beyond their purview.

In most cases the receiver is the firearm, and the receiver can exist with no barrel, barrels being accessories. No barrel is equivalent to a 0" barrel, and 0" < 16", therefore every firearm is a SBR and owners must have a tax stamp for every receiver they own.

Show me the person and I'll show you the crime.

Could it be a move towards banning bump stocks and trigger cranks?

Once it’s installed it effectively converts the firearm into a machine gun, etc....

Bob

ETA:

Didn’t see Whaers’ post.

...and police depts. Both are pretty useless. Their only uses are to generate income for gov't entities, and to protect said entities. What else do they really do?

Come to New Orleans to see what its like with no LE presence. Save you the trip, get two streets outside the quarter and you are on your own. Chicago gets the press, but NO is a warzone.

Come to New Orleans to see what its like with no LE presence. Save you the trip, get two streets outside the quarter and you are on your own. Chicago gets the press, but NO is a warzone.

Oh there is LE presence, just that when it sees something bad happening outside that area it runs away.... [rofl]

-Mike

In most cases the receiver is the firearm, and the receiver can exist with no barrel, barrels being accessories. No barrel is equivalent to a 0" barrel, and 0" < 16", therefore every firearm is a SBR and owners must have a tax stamp for every receiver they own.

Show me the person and I'll show you the crime.

Well not in MA A firearm must be able to fire a projectile so the frame itself or the barrel itself is not a firearm. This is why we have “frame transfers”....

My interpretation is that all of this is not good. We need to abolish the ATF (which will probably never happen). This is clearly directly related to "bump stocks" but could be twisted into anything really...

When good guys aren't treated like bad guys when they defend themselves, bad guys tend to diminish in numbers.

Until cops, DAs, and judges STOP attacking good guys, you'll have war zones like NO, Chicago, etc. Yes, I said it: cops are part of the problem, not the solution.

Oh there is LE presence, just that when it sees something bad happening outside that area it runs away.... [rofl]

-Mike

Running would require effort. How many NOPD have your encountered? Believe me, you'd know it, can't miss them.

I need to edit this a bit:
To be fair, NO is under a consent decree. Every LE encounter requires 3-4 pages of BS paperwork, so the good ones are stuck doing paperwork instead of patrolling. The lazy ones are out in the field because no paperwork.

Back
Top Bottom