• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

ATF gets several at a gun show

Pilgrim

NES Member
RETIRED, at home or wherever I want to be
http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/ne...86F6551147F74051862572440014F2FA?OpenDocument

from the article................

Shown here are some of the more than 1,000 firearms that were seized or purchased by undercover agents from the Rutledge Flea Market.
(Huy Richard Mach/P-D)

Wednesday's announcement of a crackdown on gun sales at one of Missouri's largest outdoor flea markets puts fresh attention on the distinction between who needs a firearm dealer's license and who doesn't.

Officials say an individual may sell a gun without a license so long as it is not done as a for-profit business.

Some sellers crossed that line at the Rutledge Flea Market in Knox County, prosecutors in St. Louis said as they put more than 1,200 seized firearms from the case on display.

there there is this..............................

Manager Bob Sands said the market, founded in 1948 to swap guns and hunting dogs, now covers roughly 90 acres — so big it rents out golf carts so the thousands of shoppers can get around.

The line about, "It's legal to sell a gun at a flea market or gunshow without an FFL so long as it isn't for profit" is ironic.

I guess, according to the ATF, it's OK to sell guns privately so long as its at a loss! (grin)

Sounds like more ATF thuggery to me. Problem is the private sale
stuff is so grey that a lot of people go ape with it and get themselves
in trouble.

Yeah, some of these guys are probably out and out criminal types, but I
bet some of the "dealers" were just plain folk, too. The ATF is
notorious for harassing people like little old ladies selling off their dead
husband's gun collections at shows and the like.

I think the problem is eventually shows aren't going to allow non FFL's
to sell guns at shows anymore (at least not via a table) due to
the issues involved. And frankly, that blows, because for free staters,
a lot of the best deals are from private sellers.

-Mike

I'll give the ATF the benefit of the doubt on this one.

They don't have the resources to chase every "little old lady getting rid of a collection". The guys they busted were most likely people constantly buying and selling guns as a sideline (truly a business) under the guise of private sales.

I've sold a few guns at shows and some over the internet and the JBTs haven't knocked my door down and shot my cats (don't have dogs).

Now this is what I call a gun show!... [smile]

Manager Bob Sands said the market, founded in 1948 to swap guns and hunting dogs, now covers roughly 90 acres — so big it rents out golf carts so the thousands of shoppers can get around. He said the market may be the biggest in Missouri but added, "I haven't been to every one."

The line about, "It's legal to sell a gun at a flea market or gunshow without an FFL so long as it isn't for profit" is ironic.

I guess, according to the ATF, it's OK to sell guns privately so long as its at a loss! (grin)

Good thing they are not looking for people selling Glock's in Ma.

They don't have the resources to chase every "little old lady getting rid of a collection". The guys they busted were most likely people constantly buying and selling guns as a sideline (truly a business) under the guise of private sales.

Agreed that the majority of "busts" they make are most likely
"legitimate." (At least as legitimate as a federal agency which gets a budget
of $600+ million to regulate a constitutional right can be. [rolleyes] ) I'll
agree that I may have overreacted- but every time I hear "ATF" and "Gun
Show" in the same sentence I start thinking of harassment of legitimate buyers
and dealers. It's not just a tinfoil hat thing, either. It's been raunchy enough
that the NRA has brought up the issue with congress. (And we all know how "cuddly"
the NRA likes to get with federal laws... so if the NRA was upset, that means some
serious shit was going on there. )

-Mike

I've sold a few guns at shows and some over the internet and the JBTs haven't knocked my door down and shot my cats (don't have dogs).

Bill Goodman's show in Dayton...

Hell, they always have TONS of tables that are from people that don't have shops...

Well, they used to when I was there. I loved that show. Always found a good deal on SOMETHING at that show.

Back
Top Bottom