• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

ATF eForm 1 mega thread. Process and approvals!

I'm on day 20...the suspense is killing me. I e-mailed them today and they got right back to me within an hour. Said my prints were processed and waiting for the ATF Examiner to review. Hopefully I don't go to the back of the line for inquiring.

There's an email address for this? I thought you had to call?

There's an email address for this? I thought you had to call?
If you go into the "Ask The Experts" tab as below, click the drop down for NFA Questions Form 1,2,3,4,etc... Your email address will show where I washed it out here. If you can't see my image below, it should be self explanatory once you're in there. Like I said, it was scary fast how quickly they got back to me. You should send your permit or control number.

upload_2019-5-3_8-51-31.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-5-3_8-49-23.png
    upload_2019-5-3_8-49-23.png
    22.5 KB · Views: 3
If you go into the "Ask The Experts" tab as below, click the drop down for NFA Questions Form 1,2,3,4,etc... Your email address will show where I washed it out here. If you can't see my image below, it should be self explanatory once you're in there. Like I said, it was scary fast how quickly they got back to me. You should send your permit or control number.

View attachment 282764
Submitted 4/5/19
Approved 5/2/19

Form 1 SBR *Individual submitted via eForms. Longer than usual.

I sent an email this morning, and they got right back to me (like in 5 minutes):

Good Morning,

Your application appears to be ready for review. The application is just awaiting review by an Examiner at this time. We recently received a high volume of responses from FBI and so we have multiple Examiners working to get those applications reviewed/processed as fast as they can. Due to the high volume of applications that have received back an FBI response, it could take several weeks before they can get to your application. It could be sooner but I am not sure who will be processing your application or where they are at on their assigned workload.

We appreciate your patience and ensure you we are working diligently to get this resolved.

Kind of what I got, too. Bad timing, I guess? The waiting is starting to get annoying. Either we are getting fed a line or they are truly overwhelmed.
Like I said before, I'd like to see the actual work-flow. I think it has more to do with it being my first one(?), but I'm probably wrong on that score.

Has nothing to do with being your “first one”. Every Form 1 application is treated the same exact way, first time or 100th. Kind of like buying a gun at a dealer - NCIC check, every time, takes 10-50 minutes on hold with the FBI depending on call volume. High volume = longer wait time (think post Sandy Hook). FBI does the NCIC background check and fingerprint verification for Form 1’s in bulk. BATFE contractors receive the prelim info and verify everything is in order. Examiners verify the gun stuff and make sure the FBI gave the green light on the background prior to sign off. It is a lot of paperwork for the examiners to go through. I take my hat off and give them a nod of recognition. It’s a mountain of work on their end and it is never ending. All we see are calendar days pass by as they perform their due diligence. The wait sucks for us, but a lot goes into the workflow behind the scenes. The BATFE has really stepped up their game and customer service in the last 12 months.

My 2 cents

Has nothing to do with being your “first one”. Every Form 1 application is treated the same exact way, first time or 100th. Kind of like buying a gun at a dealer - NCIC check, every time, takes 10-50 minutes on hold with the FBI depending on call volume. High volume = longer wait time (think post Sandy Hook). FBI does the NCIC background check and fingerprint verification for Form 1’s in bulk. BATFE contractors receive the prelim info and verify everything is in order. Examiners verify the gun stuff and make sure the FBI gave the green light on the background prior to sign off. It is a lot of paperwork for the examiners to go through. I take my hat off and give them a nod of recognition. It’s a mountain of work on their end and it is never ending. All we see are calendar days pass by as they perform their due diligence. The wait sucks for us, but a lot goes into the workflow behind the scenes. The BATFE has really stepped up their game and customer service in the last 12 months.

My 2 cents
This is why I said "I wish I knew the workflow" twice. I love behind the scenes stuff like that.

This is why I said "I wish I knew the workflow" twice. I love behind the scenes stuff like that.

Hope my post answers a few of your questions. The secret sauce cannot be made public in any official capacity (as of now). The process is streamlined on the back end - anything that delays the process creates a bottleneck. Think of the thousands of people who said “no CLEO sign off? EForms? Let’s GGGOOOOO!!!!” And there was a literal flood of eForms as of last week. Patience is the key.

Hope my post answers a few of your questions. The secret sauce cannot be made public in any official capacity (as of now). The process is streamlined on the back end - anything that delays the process creates a bottleneck. Think of the thousands of people who said “no CLEO sign off? EForms? Let’s GGGOOOOO!!!!” And there was a literal flood of eForms as of last week. Patience is the key.
It did, and I get it. You should see the back end for a security clearance. The FBI has a ton of prints to run for those too....

On a side note, for my first upper, I bought a 12.5" carbine set up. A bit on the in expensive side from an outfit in OH. I really don't feel like building, and am looking for something sub $500 for the next one (11.5"). Recommendations?

I submitted 4/12 with a couple of you and got an email asking to upload my LTC (which I didn’t originally) last night at 9 PM, so assuming 4/12 ish submissions are at whatever that part of the process is.

Back
Top Bottom