• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

ATF eForm 1 mega thread. Process and approvals!

My first "amnesty" form got approved earlier in the week. It was one of two submitted at the same time at the end of January. Identical forms with two different guns so not sure where the second one is. I celebrated by giving the SBR formerly known as Braced Pistol a proper stock and a VFG. The third one was last week so not expecting miracles there.

Place holder for now.

Filed a form 1 last night for a MKE AP5 (MP5 clone).

This morning I filed a form 1 for a 12.5” AR.

Tuesday I’ll send out the cover letter and fingerprint cards as well as the CLEO notification.
What is the CLEO notification?

Last edited:
What isnthr CLEO notification?

Could be chief of police for your town, county sheriff, head of state police, or state/local district attorney.

Could be chief of police for your town, county sheriff, head of state police, or state/local district attorney.
Is this for SBR?

Paid Eform 1 SBR (12.5” AR)
Trust with 2 responsible parties.
Submitted 6/19/23
Prints mailed 6/20/23
Prints received by ATF 6/22/23
Approved 7/18/23
Approved by: Carol S. Ripley

30 days total.

Last edited:
Amnesty EF1 submitted 5/25, still waiting in 'SUBMITTED' status. Must have put these in the slow pile?
Makes no sense (not that I expected it to make any sense). I submitted two of them one right after the other, within 20 minutes, only difference was a description and serial number, one is approved and the other is still floating around in the AFT Black Hole.

Maybe we aren't paying them enough.

Question for those who went through the SBR process in MA.

I submitted my eForm 1 on 6/27 and submitted EFT prints with my application (Copy of LTC included). I immediately then mailed the CLEO copy to the Colonel of State Police, as I had been advised to do by others who had gone through the process on other MA gun forums. Reason I was told to go through them was because MSP supposedly sends you mail back after receiving the CLEO notification saying that they don’t want it and for you to send it to your local licensing authority instead. This serves as perfect proof of CLEO notification since you’re not required to send the CLEO copy to one specific CLEO, and the chosen CLEO can’t do anything about it.

However, the problem is that I haven’t received this mail back from MSP telling to me to pound sand yet. It’s been over a month now and I haven’t heard anything back from them. I was wondering if anyone else recently went through this process with the same CLEO and also not gotten anything back? I know I don’t necessarily need proof, but it’d still make me a little bit more comfortable (at least, until I can move out of MA and actually have an AR pistol with a brace and not a stock). Does it just take them a while to send that correspondence? If so, is there a time frame I can expect a response?

Who cares. They’re probably not going to send it back because it’s a waste of time to respond and a wast of money on postage.

You did your due diligence and notified one of the CLEO’s that the ATF has deemed suitable for the purpose. There is no burden of proof required.
If you did want proof you could always send it certified mail with signature receipt. But that only shows that you mailed something, not necessarily the CLEO copy.

Ultimately, stop giving a f*** what the king likes. You already got a background check for your LTC, any guns you already bought and now with a form 1 for the ATF/FBI. The rest is just bullshit paperwork to make the process harder and more stupid.

Question for those who went through the SBR process in MA.

I submitted my eForm 1 on 6/27 and submitted EFT prints with my application (Copy of LTC included). I immediately then mailed the CLEO copy to the Colonel of State Police, as I had been advised to do by others who had gone through the process on other MA gun forums. Reason I was told to go through them was because MSP supposedly sends you mail back after receiving the CLEO notification saying that they don’t want it and for you to send it to your local licensing authority instead. This serves as perfect proof of CLEO notification since you’re not required to send the CLEO copy to one specific CLEO, and the chosen CLEO can’t do anything about it.

However, the problem is that I haven’t received this mail back from MSP telling to me to pound sand yet. It’s been over a month now and I haven’t heard anything back from them. I was wondering if anyone else recently went through this process with the same CLEO and also not gotten anything back? I know I don’t necessarily need proof, but it’d still make me a little bit more comfortable (at least, until I can move out of MA and actually have an AR pistol with a brace and not a stock). Does it just take them a while to send that correspondence? If so, is there a time frame I can expect a response?
Never read such instruction and have not seen something similar on this forum. I simply dropped off my CLEO notification at the local PD. I have to go there anyway to renew my LTC, so I really don't see a reason to avoid them as a recipient for the form 1.

What's the logic of not informing your CLEO? City is hostile to 2A? Didn't Bruen curtail all that?

Never read such instruction and have not seen something similar on this forum. I simply dropped off my CLEO notification at the local PD. I have to go there anyway to renew my LTC, so I really don't see a reason to avoid them as a recipient for the form 1.

What's the logic of not informing your CLEO? City is hostile to 2A? Didn't Bruen curtail all that?
I didn’t read it on this forum but on Reddit. The only logic of not informing the local CLEO was just for the proof of notification that supposedly gets sent. Ultimately it doesn’t matter which CLEO you send it to, I just wanted that small extra layer of protection. If I’m not going to get that, it’s alright.

I didn’t read it on this forum but on Reddit. The only logic of not informing the local CLEO was just for the proof of notification that supposedly gets sent. Ultimately it doesn’t matter which CLEO you send it to, I just wanted that small extra layer of protection. If I’m not going to get that, it’s alright.
Gotcha- I follow that now. I wouldn't worry about it- I certainly don't worry about dropping off to my local PD w/o a receipt.

Back
Top Bottom