• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

ATF Director Unable To Define "Assault Weapon" Despite Biden's Call For Ban

Reptile

NES Member
At a House Appropriations subcommittee hearing, Rep. Jake Ellzey (R-Texas) asked Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms (ATF) Director Steve Dettelbach a simple question: "In 15 seconds, would you define an 'assault weapon' for me?"

Dettelbach, who is supposed to be an expert in all things firearms and explosives, appeared before the subcommittee hearing on Tuesday. He responded to Ellzey by admitting he could not answer the question because he isn't a "firearms expert."

"I'll go shorter than that, because honestly, if Congress wishes to take that up, I think Congress would have to do the work, but we would be there to provide technical assistance. I, unlike you, am not a firearms expert to the same extent as you maybe, but we have people at ATF who can talk about velocity of firearms, what damage different kinds of firearms cause, so that whatever determination you chose to make would be an informed one." Dettelbach answered.

Despite years of advocating for assault weapon bans, the head of the ATF has never provided a clear definition of what qualifies as an assault weapon.

Firearms blog Bearing Arms had this to say about Dettelbach's response:

We're supposed to believe that the director of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives has no earthly idea how to define "assault weapons", despite the fact that his boss calls for them to be banned on a weekly basis and Democrats in states like Michigan, Colorado, and Washington are currently trying to prohibit their sale or possession? Gimme a break.
Dettelbach's response wasn't ignorant, it was political. The truth is that "assault weapon" has no real definition other than "gun someone wants to ban." What's considered an "assault weapon" in New York may not be an "assault weapon" in Ilinois, while California lawmakers have gone back and redefined "assault weapon" on multiple occasions since enacting its first ban back in 1989.
But Dettelbach can't go on the record as admitting that, especially with Biden making his own vague and vacuous demands for an "assault weapons" ban any time a shooting generates national headlines (even when the killer used a handgun). Instead he tried to punt the issue back to Congress, but in doing so he implicitly acknowledged what he couldn't say out loud; an "assault weapon" is whatever anti-gun lawmakers say it is, and whatever convoluted definition they do come up with will most certainly impact millions of law-abiding Americans and some of the most popular and commonly-owned firearms sold today.
... and Rep. Troy Nehls (R-Texas) tweeted:

"Joe Biden's ATF Director just testified in a Congressional hearing that he's not a firearms expert. Wow. Maybe the ATF shouldn't be regulating your firearms then."
Supporters of the Second Amendment can appreciate the ATF head's honesty, at the very least.

View: https://twitter.com/RNCResearch/status/1648353395424608259?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1648353395424608259%7Ctwgr%5E369a0b6dcac7ff59c94e9928a0950749b38e20df%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.zerohedge.com%2Fpolitical%2Fatf-director-unable-define-assault-weapon-despite-bidens-call-ban

Dettelbach, who is supposed to be an expert in all things firearms and explosives,

Why do you say that? Often the directors of these agencies are NOT experts in their areas. They are leaders. In fact, he states in his statement he is NOT an expert.

Look at the last 5 FBI directors.

Wray - Lawyer in private practice
McCabe - actual FBI
Comey - Lawyer in private and AG service
Mueller - AG and private service
Freeh - US Atty.

One guy that was an actual investigator. The rest were either ancillary or not in the same business.

Why do you say that? Often the directors of these agencies are NOT experts in their areas. They are leaders. In fact, he states in his statement he is NOT an expert.

Look at the last 5 FBI directors.

Wray - Lawyer in private practice
McCabe - actual FBI
Comey - Lawyer in private and AG service
Mueller - AG and private service
Freeh - US Atty.

One guy that was an actual investigator. The rest were either ancillary or not in the same business.
While that is true, it’s pretty embarrassing. Particularly for a guy whose already on public record as “banning assault weapons”.

Nowadays they are unable to define a wowan or a man and you expect them to define assault weapon?[rofl]
I guess the next step is for some dude and some tranny to both whip out their dongs in front of a pool of reporters (the whitehouse press corps maybe?) and ask them to report on what they witnessed.

Since “assault weapon” is a politically defined term for a scary looking gun, and the definition changes though the political process, the only valid answer a “firearms expert” could give is “y’all tell us that.”

I guess the next step is for some dude and some tranny to both whip out their dongs in front of a pool of reporters (the whitehouse press corps maybe?) and ask them to report on what they witnessed.
I think there's a Family Guy episode exactly about what you just described

The primary function that makes an aw an aw is capability of fully automatic fire. Don't let them win this attempt at redefining the meaning

Since “assault weapon” is a politically defined term for a scary looking gun, and the definition changes though the political process, the only valid answer a “firearms expert” could give is “y’all tell us that.”

This.

I fail to be outraged. "Assault weapon" is a political term. It has nothing to do with people who actually use firearms. If we have to have an ATF director, and it seems we do, I don't want him mucking around in politics.

This.

I fail to be outraged. "Assault weapon" is a political term. It has nothing to do with people who actually use firearms. If we have to have an ATF director, and it seems we do, I don't want him mucking around in politics.
The best answer would have been: "Yes, absolutely."

And when prompted, reply, "It is whatever the law says it is."

Ellzey needed to follow that up with the statement, "If you are unable to define what an assault weapon is I will need you to find someone and have them here to give testimony as to what that definition entails." I think they need to be pressed until their staff can get up and talk to the stupidity of what it is they are seeking to ban. They can't define it in a way that is consistent with the Bruen ruling,

Back
Top Bottom