ATF decides firing a Sig Pistol Brace From the Shoulder is creating an SBR

But not really... because the ATF opinion letters are not law. They may serve as evidence/testimony/guidance in a defense or prosecution, but ultimately an ATF opinion letter isn't letter of law. At least that is my understanding of it, and IANAL.

Mike
Tell that to Bob Steward of Maadi Griffin fame.

Tell that to Bob Steward of Maadi Griffin fame.

Wasn't he a felon to start with?

you could screw the barrel extension onto the barrel and insert the bolt and hit the striker and fire a round . From what I have read his kits where to easy to make fire and that why he ran into trouble. So in a way he was asking for trouble. I'll admit I don't remember the full story and I knew they played games with him. But I think him and Atkins are bad examples to use against the ATF since they where doing shady shit or flat out lied. Atkins sent one thing in then sold some thing else .

Wasn't he a felon to start with?

you could screw the barrel extension onto the barrel and insert the bolt and hit the striker and fire a round . From what I have read his kits where to easy to make fire and that why he ran into trouble. So in a way he was asking for trouble. I'll admit I don't remember the full story and I knew they played games with him. But I think him and Atkins are bad examples to use against the ATF since they where doing shady shit or flat out lied. Atkins sent one thing in then sold some thing else .

when I was reading up on his adventures, basically an ATF agent could in 80 minutes (eighty) to make gun fireable and hence they claim "readily convertible to a firearm, i.e. it's a gun" ...

#1, 80 minutes for an expert with all the right tools and equipment is a hell of a time. Shit, you can do a lot in 80 minutes.

#2, making a 50 BMG readily to fire and AK ready to fire are two different things. A ****ed 50BMG rifle could blow up with catastrophic results, a chance no sane man would take, so technically it would take more than 80 minutes to make his "receiver" ready.

That's basically it. ATF ****ed him. Case closed. I can see Ares treading more carefully while poking ATF's vagina.

when I was reading up on his adventures, basically an ATF agent could in 80 minutes (eighty) to make gun fireable and hence they claim "readily convertible to a firearm, i.e. it's a gun" ...

#1, 80 minutes for an expert with all the right tools and equipment is a hell of a time. Shit, you can do a lot in 80 minutes.

#2, making a 50 BMG readily to fire and AK ready to fire are two different things. A ****ed 50BMG rifle could blow up with catastrophic results, a chance no sane man would take, so technically it would take more than 80 minutes to make his "receiver" ready.

That's basically it. ATF ****ed him. Case closed. I can see Ares treading more carefully while poking ATF's vagina.

I thought they just put a spot weld on the barrel extension and had a swinging hammer hit the firing pin or some shit .
From the plans I got it would fire like that but not safely lol.
You could do the same with the mosin barrels and stubs. I wouldn't call that a fire arm . Death trap yes.

But not really... because the ATF opinion letters are not law. They may serve as evidence/testimony/guidance in a defense or prosecution, but ultimately an ATF opinion letter isn't letter of law. At least that is my understanding of it, and IANAL.

Mike

You're right: they aren't law. They are, however, a strong signal that enforcement action may soon follow. And if you're arrested for violating the NFA, even if ultimately vindicated, during the interim, you've lost your liberty, along with thousands of dollars spent defending yourself.

Ask Aaron Schwartz what its like to be charged with bullshit by the Feds (he was charged by Boston US attorney Carmen Ortiz for stealing free documents). That didn't turn out well and he had thousands of people on his side.

I thought they just put a spot weld on the barrel extension and had a swinging hammer hit the firing pin or some shit .
From the plans I got it would fire like that but not safely lol.
You could do the same with the mosin barrels and stubs. I wouldn't call that a fire arm . Death trap yes.

exactly, there is no clear definition of what "readily convertible" is and ATF shies away from explaining anything, just like the process of approval is shrouded in mystery unless you are licensed builder and have big bucks at the stake. All this translates into ATF selectively coming down on people at their own pleasure, i.e. pure tyranny by a an unconstitutional, bipolar agency.

Ask Aaron Schwartz what its like to be charged with bullshit by the Feds (he was charged by Boston US attorney Carmen Ortiz for stealing free documents). That didn't turn out well and he had thousands of people on his side.
Funny thing he didn't steal any thing he just downloaded too much each day. Was it Harvard or mit that asked for it to be dropped

exactly, there is no clear definition of what "readily convertible" is and ATF shies away from explaining anything, just like the process of approval is shrouded in mystery unless you are licensed builder and have big bucks at the stake. All this translates into ATF selectively coming down on people at their own pleasure, i.e. pure tyranny by a an unconstitutional, bipolar agency.

I really want to send them a box of dildo shaped muzzle breaks and get a ruling on then lol .

Funny thing he didn't steal any thing he just downloaded too much each day. Was it Harvard or mit that asked for it to be dropped

Both actually and MA dropped the case but Ortiz wouldn't let it go. I wrote "steal" in a sarcastic way as I don't think it is ethically possible to "steal" free documents. He simply downloaded most of their db because he could.

The point is that he really did nothing wrong, had public opinion on his side, the parties involved asked for the case to be dropped, and the Feds still ruined/ended his life. IDK what I would do in his/that position but I don't want to find out.

This example isn't some "pie in the sky / what if scenario": This happened, it happened in Boston, and it happened to one of the most brilliant programmers of the modern era who had overwhelming support. None of us will/would be that lucky.

I really want to send them a box of dildo shaped muzzle breaks and get a ruling on then lol .

probably not gonna happen. Unless you are licensed and have a special ATF line for questions, ATF can simply ignore you. There is no official process for ruling requests for us peons.

Back
Top Bottom