ATF Audits Reveal 1 in 4 NH Gun Line Background Checks Are Wrong

I'm shocked [hmmm]

Also color me shocked. The NH gun call-in line is one slow process. Sitting in a gun store for an hour or more. The second word in NICS is "instant" so I would imagine NICS is an instantaneous or damn near close process.

Also color me shocked. The NH gun call-in line is one slow process. Sitting in a gun store for an hour or more. The second word in NICS is "instant" so I would imagine NICS is an instantaneous or damn near close process.

I'm no fan of NH having a separate process for handguns, I know the history that created it but now it's just a waste of taxpayer money. But NICS is far from instant, I've waited an hour for a NICS. And sometimes the NH check is quick, I bought a Mark III at SO not long ago and was amazed by a 15 minute approval, sometimes it's just in the timing.

I'm no fan of NH having a separate process for handguns, I know the history that created it but now it's just a waste of taxpayer money. But NICS is far from instant, I've waited an hour for a NICS. And sometimes the NH check is quick, I bought a Mark III at SO not long ago and was amazed by a 15 minute approval, sometimes it's just in the timing.

Probably is somewhat random as I've never had a NICS hangup but NH was always more than an hour.

Did you say SO?
[pot]

I've never waited over an hour.

NH House Bill 109 – calling for Universal Background Checks for every purchase of a firearm – will wrongfully deny even more Granite Staters their rights! It is sponsored by NH Democrat Representative Katherine Rogers [yes, the same Democrat Rep who pleaded guilty to assault the day before Christmas 2017].

THAT's the one that looks like Grimace!

maxresdefault.jpg

iu

I need to do a better job of keeping my Donks straight in my head.

So is that shit getting shut down? NICS is only supposed to be used by FFLs at the point of sale of a gun, not by anyone else, at any other time, including by state level LEOs, correct? That kinda nonsense never made sense to me. I believe PA also has a similar system in place...

Did you say SO?
[pot]

I've never waited over an hour.

For the record, it wasn't at SO that I had to wait an hour, and the wait time has nothing to do with the shop. I was just commenting on the short time for that purchase because even the guy at the counter thought it was quick.

So is that shit getting shut down? NICS is only supposed to be used by FFLs at the point of sale of a gun, not by anyone else, at any other time, including by state level LEOs, correct? That kinda nonsense never made sense to me. I believe PA also has a similar system in place...

NH has a NICS POC for handgun transfers instituted around the time of the brady bill. It was a wallhack to get around the mandatory 3 day wait at the time. (ATF allowed states to do this, and in turn if they did it, it allowed them to waive the mandatory brady wait for their resident handgun buyers. ) . It was a good idea, back then, but
then once the brady bullshit was nullified, its entire purpose was also nullified, but NH law was never amended to revert the handgun checks back to federal only control.

Basically the NH NICS POC is just legacy garbage at this point. There were some bills to get rid of it but they never went anywhere. The GOP squandered its opportunity to fix this
problem on a few occasions.

-Mike

NH has a NICS POC for handgun transfers instituted around the time of the brady bill. It was a wallhack to get around the mandatory 3 day wait at the time. (ATF allowed states to do this, and in turn if they did it, it allowed them to waive the mandatory brady wait for their resident handgun buyers. ) . It was a good idea, back then, but
then once the brady bullshit was nullified, its entire purpose was also nullified, but NH law was never amended to revert the handgun checks back to federal only control.

Basically the NH NICS POC is just legacy garbage at this point. There were some bills to get rid of it but they never went anywhere. The GOP squandered its opportunity to fix this
problem on a few occasions.

-Mike

Typical... An obsolete and useless bureaucracy attempting to justify its existence in the face of overwhelming evidence that it is, in fact, obsolete and useless...

I've pointed out for years that NH should not be a POC state, and should leave federal issues to the feds.

I got yelled out, denounced, called anti-2A and anti-gun, by the victim of Katherine Rogers' assault.

I've pointed out for years that NH should not be a POC state, and should leave federal issues to the feds.

I got yelled out, denounced, called anti-2A and anti-gun, by the victim of Katherine Rogers' assault.

Yes, she can be rather, shall we say, acerbic but she is in our camp on so many other things. Maybe that's why I'm fairly quick to give her a pass. What was her reasoning why coming out against leaving it to the feds would be considered anti-2A, or did she give you one.

This has been one big NH drawback thus far.
I think the fastest response I've gotten is 30 minutes, usually 45 to 75 minutes, it's insane to sit around that long.

Please read this and consider there are some NH residents who need the NH POC. Search for Penny Dean, an NH attorney who specializes in gun rights, see what she has to say (there are comments from her about it online)..

There are good people out there, who are 100% legal to own guns but are denied by the FBI, and get a proceed via the state of NH (because when checks are conducted in NH they are much more careful in vetting the data and provide a more consistently correct response, versus jumping to conclusions - such takes time)..

Additionally if you are denied via NH you can actually contact them via a lawyer for a very quick response and review - ie not using the ridiculous FBI appeals process, rather your lawyer can communicate with a real person who cares about 2A and is in charge of the department. They have a simple form they quickly respond to via email and even sit down meetings can be arranged if needed.

The FBI on the other hand, has a ridiculously unfair appeals process that can take years to complete, and sometimes requires actually being sued such that one can excercise this basic right.

NH POC is very important to keep, at least for handguns, and some wish they were used for all checks.

Oh boy, do I know this process well. This is the exact reason I was contacted by the ATF to turn in my firearms [rofl2]

Edit: Forgot to mention, NH SP sent me an apology letter stating the 'denial' is cleared off my record.

Please read this and consider there are some NH residents who need the NH POC. Search for Penny Dean, an NH attorney who specializes in gun rights, see what she has to say (there are comments from her about it online)..

There are good people out there, who are 100% legal to own guns but are denied by the FBI, and get a proceed via the state of NH (because when checks are conducted in NH they are much more careful in vetting the data and provide a more consistently correct response, versus jumping to conclusions - such takes time)..

Additionally if you are denied via NH you can actually contact them via a lawyer for a very quick response and review - ie not using the ridiculous FBI appeals process, rather your lawyer can communicate with a real person who cares about 2A and is in charge of the department. They have a simple form they quickly respond to via email and even sit down meetings can be arranged if needed.

The FBI on the other hand, has a ridiculously unfair appeals process that can take years to complete, and sometimes requires actually being sued such that one can excercise this basic right.

NH POC is very important to keep, at least for handguns, and some wish they were used for all checks.

So thousands of people should be administratively delayed (many for an hour or more, some for days on a gun show weekend) and dozens of gun shops workflows completely disrupted, so like .02% (or whatever the number is) can have a better appeals process? Honest question. On the other hand, if shutting it down isn't the "answer" then
maybe staffing it correctly is a compromise.

Also from the sounds of the article in this thread, it kinda contradicts what you've posted and makes it sound like some of the problems are being induced by the POC itself. Of course where the actual truth lies is anyone's guess.

-Mike

The main issue here is III/NCIC records are either not accurate or not updated, at least in my case, in NH. So when this desk dweller makes the decision to proceed/deny my firearms purchase they are using inaccurate information. Where is if I was purchasing in MA then I can at least use my UPIN to have a better chance (most of the time useless) of not getting delayed.

Point of the story is that it's sad that someone who should be able to purchase and own a firearm could be denied because there is no audit process to make sure information is accurate. It's left to the local CSO agency to audit, not the FBI. Also, with everyone being so scared to apply pressure to these agencies they believe they are prohibited and don't pursue. Remember, they all work for use and sometimes need advice on how to do their job.

This is all states, I know personally 4 states where information is not audited and could contain inaccurate information on any individual, at any time.

Last point. This can also impact your relationship with the local FFL who you were trying to purchase a firearm from. The ATF called that FFL and told them I was a PP. After all the dust settled I made sure the Special Agent called the owner back and made it right as it makes me look like an a$$hole.

Don't let these fools push you around guys. Most of the time I knew more about the systems and laws then these "Government Officials".

In any event, the article's point is we shouldn't be further taxing an already inaccurate system with checks for sales that, if made wrongly today, are already illegal, when that system will wrongfully deny people their rights even further than today. We can discuss the merits of eliminating or up-staffing the NH NICS POC for its current assignment separately but Susan's article correctly points out a key functional issue with this lousy, partisan, national-party-line-driven bill even for those on the other side who support the concept.

Well in an ideal world my preference in order would be:

1. No background checks or at least no background checks for someone that has a permit already..

2. Background checks with a fair legal recourse if denied, ie within 30 days you get to come before a judge for a ruling.

3. Current NH system.

4. System where FBI is the only POC

I question the article and it lacks details, but I know for instance one guy I see at the range bought a glock recently after passing a NH POC check, walked back inside an hour later because he had to have a rifle he had seen there and got denied by the feds... the other way around would be an easy fix but I bet it takes him a year or more to untangle.

Yes, she can be rather, shall we say, acerbic but she is in our camp on so many other things. Maybe that's why I'm fairly quick to give her a pass. What was her reasoning why coming out against leaving it to the feds would be considered anti-2A, or did she give you one.
I think she was still stuck in the Brady Bill waiting period mindset, even though this was years after NICS was solidly in place.

She just kept insisting that state checks made sure that people could buy guns, but NICS didn't.

Back
Top Bottom