• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

At what distance do you zero your rifles?

Speak in USA terms not European. We speak in inches,feet and yards in this country.
So so sooo misguided... The metric system is an international system of measurement. THIS country also uses both systems. ESP the US Military. And it's only used out of necessity. So it's not just European, outside of Burma, and Liberia, we are the only ones who have not adopted the SI

I prefer cables and nautical miles, myself.

I do wish we used the metric system more in this country. The English measurements (inches, feet, etc) are just retarded. Metric actually makes sense.
I use both with equal fluency at work and play - eh' they are just number systems. Typical European non-sense to try to fit the entire universe into their abstraction of base 10... [laugh]

It's like saying German is more logical, has fewer words and simpler more consistent grammar so we should all speak German... Oh wait, some guy tried that... [laugh]

Yeah, but I speak 'merican... [wink]

I use both with equal fluency at work and play - eh' they are just number systems. Typical European non-sense to try to fit the entire universe into their abstraction of base 10... [laugh]

It's like saying German is more logical, has fewer words and simpler more consistent grammar so we should all speak German... Oh wait, some guy tried that... [laugh]

Yeah, but I speak 'merican... [wink]

Not to imply that I wish Hitler got away with his Third Reich BS, but English as a language is pretty retarded too. From a purely technical standpoint, most of the European languages make a hell of a lot more sense. Like, you know....there aren't more exceptions than rules [laugh]

The metric system is 100% better in all ways, however I have no choice but to use the english system in my line of work.

The metric system is 100% better in all ways, however I have no choice but to use the english system in my line of work.
Oh c'mon you can't tell me that a "Newton" is a 100% better unit of measure...

Some Roman soldier's foot for distance or Issac for force - 6 of one 0.5*12 of the other... [laugh]

It's definitely better in some ways, but its a language - a lot of it is subjective and based on our affinity for base 10 numbers which is generally theorized to be related to the number of digits on our hands...

Now, when you get into garbage like "stone" and "hands" I'm with ya - now you are measuring with crap that isn't the same... FAIL! [laugh]

Horse power is a fun one, but its no fun talking about heat/energy consumption (joules/watts) when you are talking about cars - you need something pointless, like a horse pulling weight off the ground... [laugh]

Last edited:
Screw the metric system...And wile you're at it, screw the European system of any kind. This is America - land of men. The metric system is for European girlie men...
Men you can multiply and divide by 3, 12, 32.2, and other strange numbers - not just add and remove trailing zeros and call it math... [laugh]

Men who can handle units of measure called "slugs"...

Someone queue the "real men of genius" music for me... [laugh]

Horse power is a fun one, but its no fun talking about heat/energy consumption (joules/watts) when you are talking about cars - you need something pointless, like a horse pulling weight off the ground... [laugh]

hahahahaha this is a good point. Displacement is better the american way also.

What sounds better "6.0 F*cking Vortec!!" or "5998 cc's"

I'll take litres over cubic centimeters anyday of the week, same with horsepower.

3rd and goal on the 4-yard line is for men...3rd and goal on the 4-meter line is for femmes... [cheers]

I don't know man. In the movie "aliens", the colonial marines used meters on their radar machines when the aliens where getting close right before they went ape-sh*t shooting everything. They were pretty badass too.

Colonial marines that fight aliens use meters. 50 meters and closing, we're all going to die but f*ck that sh*t I'm gonna kill tons of aliens in the process. And they do free fall drops in upper atmosphere spacecraft while wearing no G-suit....I'd say pretty badass

Colonial marines that fight aliens use meters. 50 meters and closing, we're all going to die but f*ck that sh*t I'm gonna kill tons of aliens in the process. And they do free fall drops in upper atmosphere spacecraft while wearing no G-suit....I'd say pretty badass

But, at what distance did the Colonial Marines zero their rifles at?

yes, but we were talking how europeans measure car output.

American vs European. They use CC's and K/W J, we use Litres and horsepower

Funny, I always thought that we used CID and then for some stupid reason we started to use the liter system that our "over seas" metric friends already used.

FWIW, The liter system for engines is FUBAR. A Chevy 305, 307 and Ford 302 are all a 5.0 Liter yet Chevy 302 is a 4.9. Also Chevy 350 is a 5.7 and Ford 351 is a 5.8

Last edited:
yes, but we were talking how europeans measure car output.

American vs European. They use CC's and K/W J, we use Litres and horsepower

Europeans use liters and cubic centimeters interchangeably. 1 liter = 1000 cc.

Also, the metric unit of power measurement is the watt. A joule is a measure of work. Torque is (rotational) work.

1 joule = 1 newton-meter

Back
Top Bottom