At the doctor's office yesterday ....

I was once being admitted to the hospital for a routine test when the question "do you feel safe at home" was posed to me. I shot my wife a sideways glance then whispered to the nurse, "she makes me say yes." I paid for that one for a while.

I just burst into laughter when they ask me. If they ask the Mrs and I'm in the room I stick my fingers in my ears and go "la la la la la la" so I don't hear her answer

Doctors. and their questions.
In 1982 I was killed in a car accident, on the day before release from the hospital, my father is visiting me, when the Hospital shrink comes in. Starts asking me questions, basically about what I can recall from my everyday life...addresses, phone numbers, etc. I answer each correctly, then he asks.."do you know what year it is?" I answer, 'it's '82 and Ronnie's President'.
The doctor motions for my Dad to come out of the room with him.. Dad comes flying back in the room and yells to me: "Stop F*cking around with these guys!!! He asked me if you were like this BEFORE the accident!!" [rofl]

You're in remarkably good shape for someone that was killed 40 years ago...

the ladies who do bp and the med confirmation at my docs office always look down at their feet when they get to the psych questions. they start with "we have to ask these questions." i'm pretty sure they've taken a ration of crap from the more scrappy old patients. i figure that in the few years they've been asking the questions they have heard all the cliché answers several times a day.

A couple of years ago I had a nurse ask if I felt safe at home. I said yes. She looked at a snapped "Do you know what that means!?" I think she was disappointed when I calmly answered yes.

Died twice. DOA at Boston City Hospital, died again on the table during 11hr surgery.
I look at things from a completely different perspective

I would imagine so. Were you able to collect on your own life insurance?

I hope that's taken as amusing and not provocative - I've never met anyone that had died. I came sooooo close several times. A near drowning as a kid. A heart attack as a grown up. Some other near misses but no direct hits...

I work for a living and wear Carhart's with the indispensable side pockets. I keep a small knife clipped there. I was in for a pre-op visit recently and the female doc was checking me over. She jumped back like she found something contagious on my back and said:
"Is that a knife?!"
me: um, yes it is
her: I don't understand. Why do you have a knife?
me: Because I came from work. I am going back to work. I use it hundreds of times a day. I pay no more attention to it than the keys in my pocket.

She oscillated back and forth for a few minutes trying to decide what to do. "Well don't ever bring it in here again!"

I felt like asking her if she ever forgot that she had a stethoscope around her neck when she left the hospital. You could choke someone with that!
I dont clip knives to pockets. I always carry a good, lightweight, folding hunter concealed within the right front trouser pocket or sometimes the right rear pocket. In fact, I always remove the clips from these knives. Less wear on the pocket and nothing to irritate the palm of my hand during use. The less the sheeple see, the better.

I just write in NA and move along. As for my son, his pediatrician is a long time family friend so we had that discussion at the beginning and they never ask anymore.

I work for a living and wear Carhart's with the indispensable side pockets. I keep a small knife clipped there. I was in for a pre-op visit recently and the female doc was checking me over. She jumped back like she found something contagious on my back and said:
"Is that a knife?!"
me: Because I came from work. I am going back to work. I use it hundreds of times a day. I pay no more attention to it than the keys in my pocket.

She oscillated back and forth for a few minutes trying to decide what to do. "Well don't ever bring it in here again!"

I felt like asking her if she ever forgot that she had a stethoscope around her neck when she left the hospital. You could choke someone with that!
"Fear"...the great equalizer.

Up here in Maine we usually discuss shooting in the docs office, too. But it's like "any new calibers lately?" I can not tell you how refreshing it is to be living in a state where firearms are not the bain of life but accepted as part of daily life. My Doc bragged to me he shoots high-power in his back yard. I do too, as a matter of fact. So, to all those mamby pamby limp-wristed linguiny spinned nosey medical professionals, MYOB.
How far out can you get in your backyard?

"Is that a knife?!"

Did she somehow manage to get an MD without learning to use a scalpel?

Then again, my doctor saw the clip on my knife and thought I was carrying a pager. :) I declined to correct him, since he's pretty old school.

-Gary

My wife has terrible veins. The last time she gave birth they had to fish around in her arms so much, it left her all black and blue.

During her first follow-up the nurse took her alone in a room and asked, "Do you feel safe at home?" She looked at her arms and said, "Yes I don't feel safe here!"

My wife has terrible veins. The last time she gave birth they had to fish around in her arms so much, it left her all black and blue.

During her first follow-up the nurse took her alone in a room and asked, "Do you feel safe at home?" She looked at her arms and said, "Yes I don't feel safe here!"
Back in the day, I practiced karate for a long time. The final test for a black belt took place over 2 days in 3 hour segments. The second day was almost all sparring, either one-on-one or two-on-one. One of my friends in the class was a ~5'3" woman who lacked a lot of the reach of the larger folks. She was good, but took more hits than she could give out due to her limited reach. After the sparring session on the second day, she was concerned she had cracked a rib and went to the ER for an X-ray.

She went through the tests (hadn't cracked a rib, just banged up), had been seen by the doctor, and was wondering why the nurse wasn't back with the exit paperwork when a nursing supervisor walked in "to chat". She was about 3 minutes in when she realized where the questions were leading, so she asked "Has anyone here bothered to look at what I was doing before I came here?"

Almost to a man, no one other than the admitting nurse had bothered to read WHY she was so bruised and were all convinced she had been beaten at home. Her husband later told her he couldn't understand why he was getting the side eye in the waiting room (he hadn't seen her with her shirt off since the class, so he didn't know about the bruising she had picked up).

Fun times.

Uh, NO. The standard is "adjudicated as mentally defective". Adjudicated means that the case against you was presented to a judge or jury and that you were given the chance to confront your accuser and argue in your defense.

Three-Day Involuntary Hospitalization Under Section 12(b)​

Before being admitted for a three-day involuntary hospitalization in accordance with Massachusetts General Laws, you must be given the opportunity to choose conditional voluntary status. The involuntary hospitalization expires after three business days (excluding Saturdays, Sundays, and holidays) unless the hospital petitions the district court for your commitment. A hearing will then be conducted within five business days (excluding Saturdays, Sundays, and holidays) following the hospital’s petition to the court.

If you have been involuntarily hospitalized under Section 12(b), the hospital is required upon your request to contact the Committee for Public Counsel Services, and a lawyer will be appointed to meet with you.
----------

As I recall.. from ,my psych hospital days for the sake of this discussion. We would get patients come in from the local ER depressed. On a "Three Day" typically they would be voluntary. My guess is their section 12 is just filed somewhere and went no where. Most Section 12s were from Medical Providers. Police Officers do fill file them occasionally, but typically don't like to.

This wouldn't be a factor for an LTC probably, unless your well known to the local police department for mental health calls.
Especially if it was say a bad "teenage" crisis you had 20 years ago.

A lot of these cases were placed on simple outpatient style psychiatric medications and sent on their way and then given referral for outpatient services.

The ones that weren't voluntary saw a Judge within three days who has "court" at the hospital even brought her robe, and a white shirt court officer with her. Typically these patients were severely mentally ill. Some were "committed" to the private hospital. Another court hearing was held to determine if they were getting "better". Some of these patients were eventually sent to the State Hospital after a 6 month wait or so. This was back when Commonwealth of MA actually sort of took care of the non forensic severe mentally ill in the State Hospital System. Now it is an afterthought.

One Psychiatrist once said to me. If mental health was a heart attack, it would be treated in the ER with Aspirin x 1 and the patient discharged, starting a never ending revolving door of psychiatric hospital admissions.

I'm married, so of course I don't feel safe.

Sadly, you shouldn't say anything to anybody who you don't trust, or the red flag will be coming for you.

Died twice. DOA at Boston City Hospital, died again on the table during 11hr surgery.
I look at things from a completely different perspective
Wow, gone to the other side and back twice?
Yeah, I guess that would have a profound effect on your perspective.
Welcome back, twice!!!! 👍✌️

Never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever talk to a social worker. They are 150% more batshit crazy and 150% more in love with themselves then MNA nurses.

Back
Top Bottom