• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

At the doctor's office yesterday ....

... and was asked the requisite list of prying questions. I was so tempted to respond to "Do you feel safe at home?" with "Well, honestly, no, because I'm getting concerned about running out of ammunition." just to see what the reaction would be.

On a more serious note, they're really ladling on the mental health questions ("Do you feel sad?", "Do you ever feel depressed?", etc.). I would bet one of the kids (admittedly the one I don't like) that someone is going to get red flagged some day and those replies will end up on the record, HIPPA or not.
there has been an increase in mental health issues because of the lockdowns so I understand the increased questioning regarding mental health. You are at a doctor's office after all.

the ladies who do bp and the med confirmation at my docs office always look down at their feet when they get to the psych questions. they start with "we have to ask these questions." i'm pretty sure they've taken a ration of crap from the more scrappy old patients. i figure that in the few years they've been asking the questions they have heard all the cliché answers several times a day.

Mine are a check-box form to fill out. Has been for a few years. I guess it makes it more nomnominous and possibly get more honest answers.

Answering in the affirmative to a mental health question or acknowledging you are feeling depressed makes you "an idiot"?

It makes you a prohibited person
FALSE.. please don't spread misinfo for any newbies. You are prohibited if you have been "adjudicated as a mental defective or has been committed to any mental institution".

Simply answering to a doctor that you're depressed about whatever shit might be happening in your life does not make you a PP. Sometimes shit's going downhill and you need a professional to help right the ship, before it sinks. Nothing wrong with seeing a therapist or getting the meds you might need to get back to a better place. Neither makes you a PP.

Granted, the wrong Dr. could cause some serious firearms issues for you.. but I would think that misdiagnosing you to that point would cause a world of harm for him or her as well.

FALSE.. please don't spread misinfo for any newbies. You are prohibited if you have been "adjudicated as a mental defective or has been committed to any mental institution".

Simply answering to a doctor that you're depressed about whatever shit might be happening in your life does not make you a PP. Sometimes shit's going downhill and you need a professional to help right the ship, before it sinks. Nothing wrong with seeing a therapist or getting the meds you might need to get back to a better place. Neither makes you a PP.

Granted, the wrong Dr. could cause some serious firearms issues for you.. but I would think that misdiagnosing you to that point would cause a world of harm for him or her as well.
OK, I agree, you wouldn't be a prohibited person.
But I think the way the red flag law is written, I believe that the police can confiscate your guns if you tell a Dr. that you are depressed.

OK, I agree, you wouldn't be a prohibited person.
But I think the way the red flag law is written, I believe that the police can confiscate your guns if you tell a Dr. that you are depressed.
yes.. ERPO can be a very dangerous thing in the wrong hands... and there are many levels of depression..

I didn't mean to come across crass. The "prohibited person" phrase has a legal definition... newbies (which there are lots lately) might get confused and think they're prohibited because they previously sought help or might be a bit down and fail to get help.. lots of shit gets us down.. failing relationships, jobs, money.. life in general.. If you suspect your doc might be that much of an activist to ERPO you, time to find a new doc.

I work for a living and wear Carhart's with the indispensable side pockets. I keep a small knife clipped there. I was in for a pre-op visit recently and the female doc was checking me over. She jumped back like she found something contagious on my back and said:
"Is that a knife?!"
me: um, yes it is
her: I don't understand. Why do you have a knife?
me: Because I came from work. I am going back to work. I use it hundreds of times a day. I pay no more attention to it than the keys in my pocket.

She oscillated back and forth for a few minutes trying to decide what to do. "Well don't ever bring it in here again!"

I felt like asking her if she ever forgot that she had a stethoscope around her neck when she left the hospital. You could choke someone with that!

Yes today you would not be a PP but who knows the future and these records do not get deleted. Unless you have a immediate mental issue the hospital or your primary care is probably not going to be very helpful

yes.. ERPO can be a very dangerous thing in the wrong hands... and there are many levels of depression..

I didn't mean to come across crass. The "prohibited person" phrase has a legal definition... newbies (which there are lots lately) might get confused and think they're prohibited because they previously sought help or might be a bit down and fail to get help.. lots of shit gets us down.. failing relationships, jobs, money.. life in general.. If you suspect your doc might be that much of an activist to ERPO you, time to find a new doc.
There may be no choice. If some anti-gun bureaucrat starts combing through the doc's records, perhaps because your Karen neighbor complained to the local cops, the red flag law will ensnare you no matter what the 4473 says. Don't imagine this isn't exactly what the DemComs are trying to do. Remember their motto: BAMN (by any means necessary).

I had to dig this up...from my son's pediatrician visit a couple of decades ago. nothing's changed

From a 2008 Post:

when my now 9yo son was 1yo, we took him a a local Ped for a checkup. after the usual stuff, he starts asking about if we drink, how much, etc. I'm getting a little pissed....as he's writing all this down. Then he asks if there are any guns in the house..."that's none of your F'ing business"...him: 'well, we just want to make sure that any weapons are stored securely and not available to children" me: "again, that's none of your F'ing business"..him: "are your weapons secured properly?" me: (as I stand up and lift my sweatshirt displaying my G23) "yeah, I think it's pretty secure"
he shit a football and that was the end of the questions.....as we're leaving my wife says.."you always have to be a showoff don't you?'

Answering in the affirmative to a mental health question or acknowledging you are feeling depressed makes you "an idiot"?
Without a doubt.

If someone recognizes they're depressed they need to handle their shit and get it sorted out, not wait X amount of months until the next Dr. visit for affirmation.

As if some jackass in a lab coat asking a simple question suddenly flips a switch and a light bulb appears over the clients head. :rolleyes:

Yep, the questions can be a bit intrusive. Just say no or that you decline to answer. If you feel the need to say yes, say yes. As others have mentioned, adjudicated = PP. You can literally self admit to serious and extended treatment and guess what, you won't be a PP upon discharge.

Yep, the questions can be a bit intrusive. Just say no or that you decline to answer. If you feel the need to say yes, say yes. As others have mentioned, adjudicated = PP. You can literally self admit to serious and extended treatment and guess what, you won't be a PP upon discharge.
Holding out for a story of how someone running their mouth at the doctor's office
can't be found unsuitable.

The problem is , you won't know until the boys show up at the door to take your guns.
We didn't create this problem, but we're damn sure going to have to live with it.
Say the wrong thing to the wrong person at the wrong time and it's all gone.
You can be as pure as the driven snow and still get hosed.
The way the system is set up , your average working class schmuck isn't going to get his guns back unless he wants to sell off his house .

Doctors are becoming very political animals .
I'm sorry if anyone thinks that the answers to these questions are going into a file somewhere never to be seen by anyone again.
The medical profession is a light breeze away from being an arm of the government.
HIPPA will most likely will be gone in our lifetimes.

Suicide is in the top 10 for leading causes of death. And unlike heart disease and cancers there is no blood test for it. As someone who has lost a few friends over the years to suicide- I'm happy we are taking mental health more serious.

Yes today you would not be a PP but who knows the future and these records do not get deleted. Unless you have a immediate mental issue the hospital or your primary care is probably not going to be very helpful

I am pretty sure there are not enough police to go around collecting guns from all the people diagnosed with major depression or anxiety.

Suicide is in the top 10 for leading causes of death. And unlike heart disease and cancers there is no blood test for it. As someone who has lost a few friends over the years to suicide- I'm happy we are taking mental health more serious.

I beg to differ the more the medical profession gets into your head the more people clam up.....self defeating BS

Yea we've all had losses.

I had to dig this up...from my son's pediatrician visit a couple of decades ago. nothing's changed

From a 2008 Post:

when my now 9yo son was 1yo, we took him a a local Ped for a checkup. after the usual stuff, he starts asking about if we drink, how much, etc. I'm getting a little pissed....as he's writing all this down. Then he asks if there are any guns in the house..."that's none of your F'ing business"...him: 'well, we just want to make sure that any weapons are stored securely and not available to children" me: "again, that's none of your F'ing business"..him: "are your weapons secured properly?" me: (as I stand up and lift my sweatshirt displaying my G23) "yeah, I think it's pretty secure"
he shit a football and that was the end of the questions.....as we're leaving my wife says.."you always have to be a showoff don't you?'

... and the entire office started clapping

(sorry, you teed it up and it had to be done)

... and was asked the requisite list of prying questions. I was so tempted to respond to "Do you feel safe at home?" with "Well, honestly, no, because I'm getting concerned about running out of ammunition." just to see what the reaction would be.

On a more serious note, they're really ladling on the mental health questions ("Do you feel sad?", "Do you ever feel depressed?", etc.). I would bet one of the kids (admittedly the one I don't like) that someone is going to get red flagged some day and those replies will end up on the record, HIPPA or not.
It's all tied into the new GunBill from the Witch from Texas. That data is the data they desire.

If you want a concealed carry permit in RI, quite a few towns require a medical / psych release. Guaranteed if you have a depression diagnosis, or any psych hospital admissions, you aren't getting the permit. They are also enhancing the gun purchase process to give your local CLEO a yes/no vote on each gun you try to purchase. That legislation will probably pass this year.

On top of that, the medical establishment is not out to help you, even if they wanted to, they don't know shit. There's no advantage to answering those questions with a YES.

I'm sure MA is in a similar situation with the suitability requirement.

The problem is , you won't know until the boys show up at the door to take your guns.
We didn't create this problem, but we're damn sure going to have to live with it.
Say the wrong thing to the wrong person at the wrong time and it's all gone.
You can be as pure as the driven snow and still get hosed.
The way the system is set up , your average working class schmuck isn't going to get his guns back unless he wants to sell off his house .

Doctors are becoming very political animals .
I'm sorry if anyone thinks that the answers to these questions are going into a file somewhere never to be seen by anyone again.
The medical profession is a light breeze away from being an arm of the government.
HIPPA will most likely will be gone in our lifetimes.
Might be time to start storing the guns off premises. I heard that MA was bad but this type of shit is beyond belief!

Back
Top Bottom