• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

At the doc's office, today.

Took my wife to her OB/Gyn today and confirmed that she's totally pregnant. Hooray me, I totally had a ton of sex! [smile] Anyway, during her Q & A session where the nurse was asking our family history and lifestyle, the dreaded "do you have firearms in your house?" question came up. I answered truthfully, and then asked her why she asked us, thinking she was going to say "oh, guns are dangerous and scary and evil and they will murder your baby after it's born a horned, racist conservative!"

Instead, she somewhat shocked me and said "I just wanted to let you know the dangers of indoor shooting while pregnant, because the air quality can be harmful, and a lot of people don't realize just how toxic things like reloading can be if you don't wash up and change your clothes before handling a newborn." I was quite satisfied with her answer. [grin]

Congratulations to you and your wife.
It sounds like the nurse knows-something about shooting. Maybe she is a shooter herself or grew up around them.

First off, congratulations!! Second, I have a five (almost six) year old and they have tried to pry that info out if me. I ignore the question. They don't push for the answer.

I thought about saying no, but the office is full of genuinely nice and knowledgeable people, who don't preach about anything.

Congratulations ![cheers]

...or that's her pat answer dreamed up when questioning those crazy "gun nuts" [laugh]

If that's her pat answer then who cares. Since she's probably required to ask the question it's at least a good reason for asking. You think she dreamed that up herself? Reloading etc? Either she shoots or she actually has some knowledge. Good for her.

Took my wife to her OB/Gyn today and confirmed that she's totally pregnant. Hooray me, I totally had a ton of sex! [smile]

First, Congrats as soon to be "Dad" status. But I do have to regretfully informed you that your "ton of sex" moment will be going down hill. [wink]

If that's her pat answer then who cares. Since she's probably required to ask the question it's at least a good reason for asking. You think she dreamed that up herself? Reloading etc? Either she shoots or she actually has some knowledge. Good for her.

I agree. Most people have no idea that cartridges can be reloaded or that many people do so in their basement.

Congrats. Enjoy the ride. BTW, college 18 years from now will cost half a million. Start saving.

Took my wife to her OB/Gyn today and confirmed that she's totally pregnant. Hooray me, I totally had a ton of sex! [smile] Anyway, during her Q & A session where the nurse was asking our family history and lifestyle, the dreaded "do you have firearms in your house?" question came up. I answered truthfully, and then asked her why she asked us, thinking she was going to say "oh, guns are dangerous and scary and evil and they will murder your baby after it's born a horned, racist conservative!"

Instead, she somewhat shocked me and said "I just wanted to let you know the dangers of indoor shooting while pregnant, because the air quality can be harmful, and a lot of people don't realize just how toxic things like reloading can be if you don't wash up and change your clothes before handling a newborn." I was quite satisfied with her answer. [grin]

Well damn congrats to you and a phat +1 to the nurse talking to you. We still have yet to get that question when at the doctors with our son, but then again I'm not there all the time. Also if you do go shooting, make sure you shower before touching her when you get home and put the clothes in the wash yourself if you are really worried about the exposure.

Charles.

Unless you have a girl - then it will be hell when they hit 13! lol!

Don't listen to this - My daughter is 14 and we have no issues with her at all. However, for truthfulness I need to disclose she is home schooled, has no facebook, twitter or other online BS to influence her.

Home schooling lets you pick the group of children from which your child chooses their friends.

Back
Top Bottom