At least nine Americans killed in Mexican highway ambush

So I'm keeping it simple. Either they were targeted by the Cartel or a case of mistaken identity. Me... I'm guessing they were the intended target.

The Cartel was somehow pissed off bad.

Maybe the Mormons have been making life difficult for the drug cartel? Honestly I kinda doubt that as the Cartel owns everyone down there. Who would you be loyal to? A local religious group from a foreign country or a drug Cartel who uses violence and death to achieve their goals? I doubt the Mormons have that kind of power down there to be a problem.

So... I'm wondering what the Mormons did to piss off the Cartel? @mibro mentioned the Mormons had dual citizenship. Any chance the Mormons were running drugs across the border. Or the Cartel saw them as perfect drug mules and demanded they run drugs? Or the Mormons screwed the Cartel on something similar? Now that'll get ya killed very publicly.

There's more to the story. This does not add up.

So I'm keeping it simple. Either they were targeted by the Cartel or a case of mistaken identity. Me... I'm guessing they were the intended target.

Maybe the Mormons have been making life difficult for the drug cartel? Honestly I kinda doubt that as the Cartel owns everyone down there. Who would you be loyal to? A local religious group from a foreign country or a drug Cartel who uses violence and death to achieve their goals? I doubt the Mormons have that kind of power down there to be a problem.

So... I'm wondering what the Mormons did to piss off the Cartel? @mibro mentioned the Mormons had dual citizenship. Any chance the Mormons were running drugs across the border. Or the Cartel saw them as perfect drug mules and demanded they run drugs? Or the Mormons screwed the Cartel on something similar? Now that'll get ya killed very publicly.

They've gotten in gunfights on several occasions and the mormons at least helped in arming the autodefenas and other anti cartel militia groups like them in southern mexico back in 2012ish. There is definitely no love lost between either group. So there's no doubt that the cartels would like to shoot up the mormons, however i dont see any real benefit to them making global headlines and drawing any more attention from the US govt than they already have.

When I first heard about this whole thing I thought it was some sort of mistaken identity thing.

Then I saw that Vice documentary - and I've heard more information about what went down during the attack - and now I think the Mormons did something to piss off the cartel. Given the cartel's behavior - it might not even have been that much. One of the descriptions of the incident said one of the women came out of her SUV after they started attacking - and they just shot her down. At that point - if it was a case of mistaken identity - you'd think somebody would go "oh shit - white woman - wrong people" and maybe break it off. But that's not what they did.

This could be about something like the cartel wanted the Mormons to grow pot for them or something (the Vice documentary shows one of them running a relatively large farm) - and the Mormons refused. So now they killed some of their women and kids. Maybe they figure if they kill off some women and kids the Mormons will freak and just leave. Then the cartel takes over all their land and grows drugs on it.

Maybe they figure if they kill off some women and kids the Mormons will freak and just leave. Then the cartel takes over all their land and grows drugs on it.

Well if that's the plan, I hope the Mormons stored plenty of salt.

Did you just say, ummm, white men bad?

Interestingly, the Puritans were primarily descended from Mongols, but AFTER the Mongols had spent hundred of years conquering Europe and mixing their bloodlines with the Caucasoids. If you look at the phenotypic traits, such as epicanthic folds, sino- or sundadonty and neoteny, the Puritans had more in common, genetically speaking, with the indigenous populations of southeast Asia.

Everything I typed above is BS. Yes, White man bad (along with all other varieties, though)

Shocked!!!

Shocked!!!

good lord, it's worse than any movie. Mexico is truly a failed state.

One year later, families of Americans massacred by Mexican cartel say next to nothing has changed
Despite declarations of war and a commitment on both sides of the border to hold perpetrators accountable, families lament the lack of justice and accountability against cartel killers

Well THAT certainly comes as a surprise (to nobody)

Well THAT certainly comes as a surprise (to nobody)

Now that we are one year further along - maybe it's become more obvious to people why nothing has happened in this case.

I mean seriously - look at THIS COUNTRY. People are looting , robbing, and burning - and the "government" doesn't do phuckall about it. Now that you've been exposed to that dynamic for however many months it's been - it should be much more clear why in a place like Mexico nobody is going to "do anything about it". Mexico is a failed state. The US seems to be trending that way in some areas.

In the end - when the state goes down the shitter like that - YOU........ ARE ....... ON.........YOUR........... OWN.

Nobody is going to ride in and save you.

That means if the Mormons can't muster up the military force to take out the drug dealers - then they're just going to have to suck on it when their mothers and children get killed.

One year later, families of Americans massacred by Mexican cartel say next to nothing has changed

Despite declarations of war and a commitment on both sides of the border to hold perpetrators accountable,
families lament the lack of justice and accountability against cartel killers
4kj6y5.jpg

Mexico is a more modern Afghanistan with the cartels playing the part of the Taliban and various regional warlords. The government is too weak and corrupt to control territory. Columbia was able to turn itself around in a way which I don't think Mexico can culturally. They just don't have the cohesive civil society necessary short of breaking the country up into smaller countries to isolate the civilized areas from those controlled by essentially Narco Warlords.

Mexico is a more modern Afghanistan with the cartels playing the part of the Taliban and various regional warlords. The government is too weak and corrupt to control territory. Columbia was able to turn itself around in a way which I don't think Mexico can culturally. They just don't have the cohesive civil society necessary short of breaking the country up into smaller countries to isolate the civilized areas from those controlled by essentially Narco Warlords.
I bet that most of the territory that the government doesn't control
has been relinquished in exchange for bribes.

And I hear that "government" means "ruling families".
There's a standard term, but I can't find the EMail with the exact phrase -
"One Hundred Families", "Five Hundred Families" -
some number in that range.

Definitely Mormons. Haven’t they been beefing with the cartels for years now? Just move back to Utah guys. Mexico will only get worse.
They have been. And the cartels are empowered by U.S. drug policy, not the Mexican government.

For most working people not in drug zones, Mexico is far freer than America. La mordita is open and honest and has competition, unlike the closed system of very expensive bribery in America.

There's a reason why a lot of American ex-pats choose Mexico.

Back
Top Bottom