At least 60, incl. children, injured after Boeing 777 dumps fuel on elementary school outside Los Angeles

Reptile

NES Member
Rating - 100%
107   0   0
Sixty people, including at least two dozen chidlren, have been reported injured after a Boeing 777 returning to Los Angeles International Airport dropped fuel on five elementary schools.
The plane performed an emergency fuel dump after experiencing mechanical problems taking off from LAX. About 70 firefighters and paramedics responded to Park Avenue Elementary School in Cudahy after children at the school complained of skin irritation and noxious fumes.

While initial reports indicated that only one school found itself at the receiving end, it later emerged that a total of six student facilities were affected by the mishap, including five elementary schools. At Park Avenue Elementary that bore the brunt of the incident, 31 patients, including 20 children, were treated for minor injuries.

Zappa

Road Warrior
NES Member
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
I remember that happening in Newton back in the mid 70's.
It was in the Winter, the day after a snow storm.
We got out of school and saw the snow on the lawns and field had turned a blotchy pinkish color, it was even up in the trees. It was really strange, nobody had ever seen anything like it before, everybody was talking about it. The next day the teacher told us it was fuel from a plane that had to make an emergency landing.

Spanz

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
on these long overseas flights especially, the takeoff weight allowed is MUCH greater than the landing weight. if you suddenly turn around and have to land, there is a good chance the gear will collapse unless you lighten the load

looser38

NES Member
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
on these long overseas flights especially, the takeoff weight allowed is MUCH greater than the landing weight. if you suddenly turn around and have to land, there is a good chance the gear will collapse unless you lighten the load
...over 5 elementary schools!

GaryO

NES Member
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
We got out of school and saw the snow on the lawns and field had turned a blotchy pinkish color, it was even up in the trees. It was really strange, nobody had ever seen anything like it before, everybody was talking about it. The next day the teacher told us it was fuel from a plane that had to make an emergency landing.
Watch out where you go, don't you eat that pink jet fueled snow.

EJFudd

NES Member
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I know it’s like 5:30 in the morning as I am typing this and I’m not fully awake. That said, are the only things hit were schools? If so, how can that be? Besides coffee, what I missing?

Dave
It's because it makes the story much more dramatic (i.e., a "crisis") for the MSM. [thinking]

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
non story. Plane was heading to China and just took off. Had to turn around and make an emergency landing. Was heavy with fuel and needed to dump fuel before landing or the gear could have collapsed and the plane could have burst into a huge fire ball on the runway. I guess that would have been better than a few dozen illegals taking advantage of American tax dollars for a free education having their anchor babies getting a little splashed. Supposedly if a fuel dump is done at a higher altitude the fuel evaporates before it hits the ground. (according to the MIT engineer on the tv news last night).

This plane never got the altitude. Had to dump the fuel anyway.

EMS went to every school. Not one single person had to be taken to the hospital. They only needed a rinse.

So if there is any story here it is that a plane had to turn around and make an emergency landing and it was successful.

Yes it was a Boeing aircraft but it was owned by Delta. And Delta took full responsibility prior to the story airing last night.

appraiser

NES Member
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
that's basically 5 mass school bombings ... thank a lot Boing retards.
It has ZERO to do with Boeing, it has to do with permissible landing weights being less than permissible take off weights.

It is assumed if a plane takes off fully fueled it will burn off fuel in flight and be under the allowed landing weight

If a Captain declares an emergency immediately after take off and needs to return to the airport, they need to make every effort to reduce the weight, fuel is dumped.

Many times if there is a problem, and it is not dire emergency but the plane needs to return or divert to the closest airport, they will go off somewhere and fly in circles for an hour to burn the fuel rather than dump it.

I am not advocating dumping Jet-A on the population, although it is not like we are dropping Napalm, the stuff evaporates.. but dumping fuel is preferable over a collapsed landing gear and subsequent loss of life and loss of hull

DPR

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Why simply dump when you could put on a good show? A 777 flying low over LA shooting trails of fire would cause epic hysteria.

GlockJock

NES Member
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
For some reason (my geezer brain?) this brought back the memory of the time a passenger jet accidentally dumped the entire contents of the on-board toilet drains onto a quiet residential neighborhood off of the Fellsway in Medford.
("Hey, what's this lever for, Captain?"...
"No! Don't touch that it will - oops. Never mind..Turn right and increase to cruising altitude...")

Yuck.

Boris

Son of Kalashnikov
NES Member
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
did you guys light it on fire? We as kids would.

Top Bottom