At home internet speeds

General question here: what would make my Linksys WRT32X wifi router all of a sudden not push out fast internet speeds? I'm sure there is a megaton of possibilities but just curious if anyone would like to opine.

The router is about 2 or 3 years old. They still sell it on their website. Has the latest firmware. Never had any issues with it until Netflix started becoming choppy so I checked.

My Fios speeds are 200/200, but wifi is only pumping out 25/30. When I connect an ethernet cable to my router I still only get 25/30.

When I connect the Verizon ONT to my laptop via ethernet cable I get like 320/320. So I know its at my router.

Thanks for listening.....

Hey guys, thanks for the responses. I have powered off the router manually and also through the router interface. Here is what I get when I run the test through the router. I get the same results when I plug in the ethernet cord direct from the ONT as well.
1609708609998.png

When I check my speed connected wired or wireless to my router I get:

1609708749295.png

Doesn't make much sense to me. I don't know of any settings I could have changed to be honest. Doesn't mean I didn't.... Is there a way to throttle speed somehow in IT/tech terms I can look for in my router settings?

What does that 'prioritization' page look like in your router settings?

What does that 'prioritization' page look like in your router settings?
Thanks sHORTY. I actually figured it out by you asking the question! Appreciate it.
My router was prioritized to 25MB..... its now pushing out full speed. Not sure if that will fix the Netflix issue.... about every 2 minutes it lags..... Thought maybe it was my speed but maybe its something messed up with the new Sony Android TV Update....
1609709784919.png

That should definitely help with your Netflix issue, as well. I've found QoS (what your router is calling prioritization) largely useless with the speeds that most people (including you) have at home, these days. If you continue to have issues, I'd try disabling that system entirely - it's unlikely that it's actually doing anything advantageous.

The theory, and why that bandwidth setting is so important, is that if your router sees traffic approaching the defined cap, it will start to inspect all of the packets going through it and only allow a certain amount through at a time (based on the priority settings), to avoid saturating your connection and slowing everything down. In theory, this would prioritize things like VOIP (phone) or other latency-critical applications over less-critical things, like Netflix.

In practice, however, it's implemented so poorly on most equipment that what ends up happening is more similar to what you just experienced.

That should definitely help with your Netflix issue, as well. I've found QoS (what your router is calling prioritization) largely useless with the speeds that most people (including you) have at home, these days. If you continue to have issues, I'd try disabling that system entirely - it's unlikely that it's actually doing anything advantageous.

The theory, and why that bandwidth setting is so important, is that if your router sees traffic approaching the defined cap, it will start to inspect all of the packets going through it and only allow a certain amount through at a time (based on the priority settings), to avoid saturating your connection and slowing everything down. In theory, this would prioritize things like VOIP (phone) or other latency-critical applications over less-critical things, like Netflix.

In practice, however, it's implemented so poorly on most equipment that what ends up happening is more similar to what you just experienced.
Appreciate the explanation!

I just turned this crap off on my Verizon router and speeds increased significantly... TY.

Hey guys, thanks for the responses. I have powered off the router manually and also through the router interface. Here is what I get when I run the test through the router. I get the same results when I plug in the ethernet cord direct from the ONT as well.
View attachment 431035

When I check my speed connected wired or wireless to my router I get:

View attachment 431037

Doesn't make much sense to me. I don't know of any settings I could have changed to be honest. Doesn't mean I didn't.... Is there a way to throttle speed somehow in IT/tech terms I can look for in my router settings?
I would hide bodies for speed like that

I would hide bodies for speed like that
I don't know if it's where I live or what but I only pay $39/mo. I only have internet. No phone or TV. I also am only supposed to get 200/200. I've been paying 39 bucks a month for the past 8 years or so. I have to call every year to get the promo though.

Even my XR500 sucks for QoS. The last thing I want it to be doing is DPI. Turned QoS off completely. It wasn't obvious how to do that either, which was doubly annoying.

QoS is hot garbage in all but enterprise equipment. Those little netboxes you get from BestBuy don't have the bus speed or memory to do anything intensive. If you want to play around with QoS I recommend pfSense and a used Cisco 2900 switch.

Back
Top Bottom