Assualt Weapons that are legal?

I was thinking of buying a AK47 and have ran into a snag. What is legal in Ma for sale under the new AW laws? I was interested in a SKS 59/66 with bayonet lug and Bayonet with grenade launcher attachment. And was told that is legal for sale because of the fixed magazine,but a AK47 High cap is illegal.

So can anyone explain under the new laws how one is legal and the other is not. does it have something to do with bayonet lug or flash suppressor?

Rocks are legal. [laugh] Kind of a bad way to state the question; "assault
weapons" aren't really anything except some made up shit in the law.
I'm guessing you mean semiautomatic, magazine fed rifles.

There are no "new" AW laws in MA. The laws effectively mirror that of the
1994 federal AWB... so anything legal under that is generally legal in
MA. You can also have "pre ban" stuff that was made before 9/13/94 as
well. (that has all the "evil" features, bayo lug, etc. ) If you want something new
you'll have to get something that's partially crippled- eg, no bayo lug, no FH, etc.
They still make AKs that are MA AWB compliant, if you look around.
The typical WASR-10 is an example. This topic is covered a bunch of other times
on the board in various threads, if you want more info.

-Mike

That's a misnomer.

Check the gun laws section and/or buy a mass gun laws handbook.
William Cloran writes a good one. There are others.

Last edited:
So if I find an older manufactured AK47 on the Net like gun broker, I can legally have that shipped with a high cap mag to Mass. Because it was made prior to 1994 and is not a newer manufacture.

Then why do some gun stores tell me they wont transfer older manufactured AK47 or SKS rifles with high caps.

MauserFreak, I sure hope you're a GOAL member. If you aren't, you really should be.

Call the GOAL office at (508) 393-5333 to join us!

Darius Arbabi

I am a Goal Member and Life NRA, So is it illegal to bring the older High cap AK47 Rifles into the state through a dealer? If I interpret the law correctly any rifle manufactured prior to 1994 is exempt from any of the restrictions in the AW BAN 1994

I am a Goal Member and Life NRA, So is it illegal to bring the older High cap AK47 Rifles into the state through a dealer? If I interpret the law correctly any rifle manufactured prior to 1994 is exempt from any of the restrictions in the AW BAN 1994

Yes, you are correct.

Visit the www.goal.org web site to download some of the materials that will answer your query more fully.

I hope that was mis-typed!

Pre-9/13/94 mfd hi-cap mags/long guns are perfectly legal in MA, assuming that you have at least a LTC-B AND don't live in Boston. Boston has its own ban on guns/knives. All this info (including Boston's by-law) is posted in the Gun Laws forum, in Stickies. You may need to change UserCP to "show ALL threads" to see that stuff however.

SKS was never banned by the AWB as made by the mfrs as it has a fixed mag of 10 rd capacity.

Some dealers do NOT know the laws and "make it up as they go". Best to avoid them completely. Places like Four Seasons, Northeast Trading, Zero Hour Arms (exotics are their specialty), Collector's in Stoneham, etc. are good bets to spend your money and get what you want.

To expand on that, in Boston, FALs, FNCs, ARs, AKs, SKSs, and several other types are banned. Oddly enough, the ban does not include HKs, AR70s, PS90s, FS2000s, etc. They banned specific guns by name but not by the same features list that the national and Mass AWBs did. Also banned is any semi auto with a fixed capacity of over 10 rounds, and all hicap rifle/shotgun feeding devices. Handgun mags over 10 rounds ARE NOT BANNED.

Knives over 2 1/2 inches cannot be carried except for hunting/fishing activities and transport to and from such activities.

Last edited:
Be extremely careful that any standard capacity (so called "large capacity") magazines that you get are really pre-ban, since they're the easiest way to slip up and spend the the next 10+ years as somebody's bitch at Cedar Junction.

Ken

Back
Top Bottom