• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Assisted opening knife

wilkoi

NES Member
Are knifes that have an assisted opening blade legal in Ma. ? Not a switch blade of course but knives that you use a thumb stud or tang to start the opening and then a spring bar opens the blade.

Yes, but that doesn't mean an officer will know that. I'm not sure if any cities or towns have specific bylaws or ordinance on it.

I don't think anyone really cares about knives. Last time I was at Moon Island, one of the cops casually asked another test taker why he has a knife in his pocket (painters jeans so knife was in clear sight). Guy shrugged and said "I'm a carpenter" and that was the end of that conversation. I imagine things would've gone different if he was OCing a gun.

I remember being at the Marlborough gun show a couple of years ago and a JBT made one of the vendors shut down his booth for selling assisted opening knives. Claimed they were illegal and threatened arrest. He put a trap over the table with the knives on it for the rest of the show...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I don't really "get" AO knives...I don't like depending on a difficult-to-repair internal mechanism to open a locking blade. I've had a couple that wouldn't open all the way to the locked position every time, which completely defeats the one-handed benefit of the AO. Plus, there are SO many good knives that you can open one-handed just as fast, and without an extra moving part to break.

But, IIRC, it's kind of a gray area. True switchblades under a certain length (I think 2") are MA legal, AO isn't directly addressed, but I'd hate to be in the position of arguing that something is AO and not a switchblade.

What're you looking at getting?

You don't need a mechanical assist, all you need is a Spyderco with the Emerson Wave feature. They are readily available on Ebay.
http://www.ebay.com/dsc/Knives-Swor....TR0.TRC0.H0&_osacat=1401&_odkw=spyderco+wave
I have an Endura. They can be set up for right hand or left hand pocket carry. (Obviously handy if you are left handed or carry your pocket pistol in your right pocket.) Of course the blade is tip up in the pocket so that you can use the wave feature. Spyderco makes at least five other knives with the wave feature. The Delica is smaller but not small enough for full retard city knife ordinances. Matriarch has an interesting s curved blade and is available in a fully serrated version. The Karahawk has a 2.35" blade length that is legal in (2.5") knife length cities. Here is a picture next to a non-waved Endura for size comparison:
050df21a911fd1f0d1e58c6eb18c398f_zps29fde1c5.jpg

If you look really hard, you can find an earlier generation waved Endura with the Spyderedge. Just don't buy one where they cut the hole. Of course many people prefer the plain edge... Here is a short video (not me)where the wave feature is demonstrated:

I love mine:
009.JPG
White Feather

Last edited by a moderator:
I usually carry SoG assisted opening knives. I have a Trident Mini Tanto and an Aegis Mini that I switch between depending on my needs. I let a cop use it once, he gave it back when he was done.

You don't need a mechanical assist, all you need is a Spyderco with the Emerson Wave feature. They are readily available on Ebay.
http://www.ebay.com/dsc/Knives-Swor....TR0.TRC0.H0&_osacat=1401&_odkw=spyderco+wave
I have an Endura. They can be set up for right hand or left hand pocket carry. (Obviously handy if you are left handed or carry your pocket pistol in your right pocket.) Of course the blade is tip up in the pocket so that you can use the wave feature. Spyderco makes at least five other knives with the wave feature. The Delica is smaller but not small enough for full retard city knife ordinances. Matriarch has an interesting s curved blade and is available in a fully serrated version. The Karahawk has a 2.35" blade length that is legal in (2.5") knife length cities. Here is a picture next to a non-waved Endura for size comparison:
050df21a911fd1f0d1e58c6eb18c398f_zps29fde1c5.jpg

If you look really hard, you can find an earlier generation waved Endura with the Spyderedge. Just don't buy one where they cut the hole. Of course many people prefer the plain edge... Here is a short video (not me)where the wave feature is demonstrated:

I love mine:
View attachment 100048
White Feather

And the Wave feature is what will actually get you jammed up in MA. It falls afoul of the wording in the legislation that states that you can't carry any "device or case which enables a knife with a locking blade to be drawn at a locked position". That one could get you in trouble. You could argue that the Wave is a feature, not a device, but I wouldn't want to be in court in MA arguing that point while facing a 2 1/2 year sentence. Assisted openers should be fine, however. There is case law out there stating that they are not switchblades. Don't flip it open in front of a cop with time on his hands and you'll most likely be ok.

Last edited by a moderator:
And the Wave feature is what will actually get you jammed up in MA. It falls afoul of the wording in the legislation that states that you can't carry any "device or case which enables a knife with a locking blade to be drawn at a locked position". That one could get you in trouble. You could argue that the Wave is a feature, not a device, but I wouldn't want to be in court in MA arguing that point while facing a 2 1/2 year sentence. Assisted openers should be fine, however. There is case law out there stating that they are not switchblades. Don't flip it open in front of a cop with time on his hands and you'll most likely be ok.

What am I missing about the Wave?

It looks like the knife exited the pocket and he was able to open it instantly. I put a pull tab on my SOG and as soon as the end clears my pocket I can have it open.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What am I missing about the Wave?

It looks like the knife exited the pocket and he was able to open it instantly. I put a pull tab on my SOG and as soon as the end clears my pocket I can have it open.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On a wave-type knife, simply removing it from your pocket opens and locks the blade. MA says that's a no-no. [thinking]

An assisted opening knife requires the user to actuate the blade with a thumb or finger. See the difference?

I've been carrying an SoG Trident for the past six years in MA and have shown it to LEO after being pulled over and asked about it on my bike, never anything but - cool knife!. I thought the only knife issue that applied was the blade length (3.5''?)

There's an AWESOME knife shop in faneuil hall cant remeber the name but its about 100 feet past Cheers. They sell TONS of assisted opening knives and have some of my favorites ; http://www.microtechknives.com/

On a wave-type knife, simply removing it from your pocket opens and locks the blade. MA says that's a no-no. [thinking]

An assisted opening knife requires the user to actuate the blade with a thumb or finger. See the difference?

Citation please?

I'll give you a clue. MGL C. 269 S. 10 has the ban on automatic knives. Be very careful quoting exact words as they have meaning. I think many here (and many LEOs) like to read between the lines and "interpret" intent when they say that something is illegal.

This is absolutely correct.

The big problem with knives in MA is that the knife laws are, if its even possible, less clear than the gun laws are. There are also tons of people out there who work at places that sell knives who willingly spread information that is just absolutely wrong.

Think about this one: my wife works in Beverly and occasionally I have to go pick her up from work. I can carry my pistol with 10 rounds of 9mm loaded in it with absolutely no concerns. I cannot, however, legally carry my Spyderco Delica at the same time. That is a very odd deal.

This is absolutely correct.

The big problem with knives in MA is that the knife laws are, if its even possible, less clear than the gun laws are. There are also tons of people out there who work at places that sell knives who willingly spread information that is just absolutely wrong.

Think about this one: my wife works in Beverly and occasionally I have to go pick her up from work. I can carry my pistol with 10 rounds of 9mm loaded in it with absolutely no concerns. I cannot, however, legally carry my Spyderco Delica at the same time. That is a very odd deal.

Citation please?

Citation please?

I'll give you a clue. MGL C. 269 S. 10 has the ban on automatic knives. Be very careful quoting exact words as they have meaning. I think many here (and many LEOs) like to read between the lines and "interpret" intent when they say that something is illegal.

"Whoever, except as provided by law, carries on his person, or carries on his person or under his control in a vehicle, any stiletto, dagger or a device or case which enables a knife with a locking blade to be drawn at a locked position, any ballistic knife, or any knife with a detachable blade capable of being propelled by any mechanism, dirk knife, any knife having a double-edged blade, or a switch knife, or any knife having an automatic spring release device by which the blade is released from the handle, having a blade of over one and one-half inches, or a slung shot, blowgun, blackjack, metallic knuckles or knuckles of any substance which could be put to the same use with the same or similar effect as metallic knuckles, nunchaku, zoobow, also known as klackers or kung fu sticks, or any similar weapon consisting of two sticks of wood, plastic or metal connected at one end by a length of rope, chain, wire or leather, a shuriken or any similar pointed starlike object intended to injure a person when thrown, or any armband, made with leather which has metallic spikes, points or studs or any similar device made from any other substance or a cestus or similar material weighted with metal or other substance and worn on the hand, or a manrikigusari or similar length of chain having weighted ends; or whoever, when arrested upon a warrant for an alleged crime, or when arrested while committing a breach or disturbance of the public peace, is armed with or has on his person, or has on his person or under his control in a vehicle, a billy or other dangerous weapon other than those herein mentioned and those mentioned in paragraph (a), shall be punished by imprisonment for not less than two and one-half years nor more than five years in the state prison, or for not less than six months nor more than two and one-half years in a jail or house of correction, except that, if the court finds that the defendant has not been previously convicted of a felony, he may be punished by a fine of not more than fifty dollars or by imprisonment for not more than two and one-half years in a jail or house of correction."

I bolded the applicable section of the law you referenced. Is a Wave feature a device? As I said earlier, I would argue that it's a feature, but I also wouldn't want to be in court facing a 2 1/2 year misdemeanor arguing that point. The law as it was originally written was used to address the cases that were briefly popular years ago that allowed one to draw a Buck 110, opening it as it came out of the case. Here's a link to a guy that currently makes those sheaths. It's hard to picture without seeing one in action. http://www.quickdrawsheath.com/Quick_Draw_Store/HOME.html

Reading a couple different threads about the wave feature has made me consider grinding mine off my Emerson just to avoid the potential aggravation. Although, I find just pulling it from my pocket doesn't simply open it. It has to be in a certain position in my pocket and drawn in a specific way and speed to get it to open to a full lock. It's easier to slowly pull it from my pocket without it opening at all than getting it to open to a full lock. It's not hard to draw it to a full lock, you just have to do it with that intention.

Amazing that the wave feature is more dangerous than the firearm that is barley six inches way from it.

The town to town laws are the tough ones. Knowing what each and every town I might drive through has on the books is a non-starter.

"Whoever, except as provided by law, carries on his person, or carries on his person or under his control in a vehicle, any stiletto, dagger or a device or case which enables a knife with a locking blade to be drawn at a locked position, any ballistic knife, or any knife with a detachable blade capable of being propelled by any mechanism, dirk knife, any knife having a double-edged blade, or a switch knife, or any knife having an automatic spring release device by which the blade is released from the handle, having a blade of over one and one-half inches, or a slung shot, blowgun, blackjack, metallic knuckles or knuckles of any substance which could be put to the same use with the same or similar effect as metallic knuckles, nunchaku, zoobow, also known as klackers or kung fu sticks, or any similar weapon consisting of two sticks of wood, plastic or metal connected at one end by a length of rope, chain, wire or leather, a shuriken or any similar pointed starlike object intended to injure a person when thrown, or any armband, made with leather which has metallic spikes, points or studs or any similar device made from any other substance or a cestus or similar material weighted with metal or other substance and worn on the hand, or a manrikigusari or similar length of chain having weighted ends; or whoever, when arrested upon a warrant for an alleged crime, or when arrested while committing a breach or disturbance of the public peace, is armed with or has on his person, or has on his person or under his control in a vehicle, a billy or other dangerous weapon other than those herein mentioned and those mentioned in paragraph (a), shall be punished by imprisonment for not less than two and one-half years nor more than five years in the state prison, or for not less than six months nor more than two and one-half years in a jail or house of correction, except that, if the court finds that the defendant has not been previously convicted of a felony, he may be punished by a fine of not more than fifty dollars or by imprisonment for not more than two and one-half years in a jail or house of correction."

I bolded the applicable section of the law you referenced. Is a Wave feature a device? As I said earlier, I would argue that it's a feature, but I also wouldn't want to be in court facing a 2 1/2 year misdemeanor arguing that point. The law as it was originally written was used to address the cases that were briefly popular years ago that allowed one to draw a Buck 110, opening it as it came out of the case. Here's a link to a guy that currently makes those sheaths. It's hard to picture without seeing one in action. http://www.quickdrawsheath.com/Quick_Draw_Store/HOME.html

, or any knife having an automatic spring release device by which the blade is released from the handle. So this means any assisted knife is illegal in Ma.

It is a safe Queen. EDC is a Yojimbo 2...
White Feather

Back
Top Bottom