• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Assisted Knives

I agree that assisted opening knives are great. My only requirement when buying one is it must lock when closed and the lock/unlock operation along with opening has to be possible with one hand. I like ones specifically that lock and unlock with the thumb. I've had a non locking knife open in my pocket before, and I keep them razor sharp. Scary situation.

I have an all black Kershaw Leek that I used to carry every day: it's nice and small and US made. I found I was beating it up a little too much at work, so I bought a little beefier Kershaw Clash for work. It's not as nice(Chinese made) but it was cheap enough (about thirty bucks on ebay) that if I lose or break it I won't be too upset. the leek lives in the sleeve pocket of my Condor Tactical fleece jacket now.

I agree that assisted opening knives are great. My only requirement when buying one is it must lock when closed and the lock/unlock operation along with opening has to be possible with one hand. I like ones specifically that lock and unlock with the thumb. I've had a non locking knife open in my pocket before, and I keep them razor sharp. Scary situation.

I do like that feature on my Leek. My Clash doesn't have a lock. I had a tanto bladed Timberline years ago and I almost ruined myself and a car interior accidently with it when it opened in my pocket, resulting in the blade pointing up. Weird feeling to have something sharp and metal poke the inside of your wrist when you don't expect it.

I like the lanyard you put on your zt. What kind of braid is that?

- - - Updated - - -

Forgot to quote the post I was referencing. [thinking]

I've carried the ZT350 knife for a few years now and love it. It's a smaller version of the 300/301 series ZT knives. Keeps a sharp edge, no play in the blade/lock mechanism. A good size knife but yet small enough to carry everyday.

zt350.jpg

Zero Tolerance and Kershaw are owned by the same parent company (Kai USA): ZT knives are the higher-end version of Kershaws in some cases. They are very good knives, extremely well-made using top quality material, right here in the USA. I would actually contend they are the best bang for your buck production knives being made right now, but a case could also be made for Spyderco. It's just a personal preference.

Zero Tolerance and Kershaw are owned by the same parent company (Kai USA): ZT knives are the higher-end version of Kershaws in some cases. They are very good knives, extremely well-made using top quality material, right here in the USA. I would actually contend they are the best bang for your buck production knives being made right now, but a case could also be made for Spyderco. It's just a personal preference.

I used to buy Spyderco years ago and then they changed the grade steel they used. And I really like the assisted open over the thumb hole. I didn't realize that ZT was related to Kershaw. I had almost bought a ZT before but having never actually handled one wasn't sure what to expect.

Most of the folks here are not trusted by thier masters with such impliments as we citizens of New Hampshire are.
Even if they were legal in MA, I would not waste my money purchasing one. Call me old fashioned but I appreciate rugged reliability. That is why I stick with rocker-locked folders. I can draw my Cold Steel "Voyager" folder from my right front trouser pocket and snap it open within two seconds. Fast enough for me. Do not need extra springs to take a set and/or fail when I need the knife the most.

I personally have never seen one with a good functional lock for the closed position. I say "functional", because in my mind it would have to be able to be released in the same motion as opening the blade, otherwise it would be too cumbersome to be effective in an emergency or self defense situation. I carry a Kershaw Leek as my edc knife, and have for about 10 years now. In that time I have never had it open in my pocket, or accidentally at all. There is a lock, but it holds the tip of the blade, which I find cumbersome and useless to employ one handed, so I tightened the screw so that it can not accidentally lock the blade, but I never actually use it either. For those talking about something else to go wrong, I once felt that way, but this Speed safe mechanism has me sold on it's durability as I have had several over the years in all conditions and never once has any of them failed me. If it did break, then the knife would still function as a regular one hand opening knife, so I don't see you have anything to lose even if the spring breaks.

but I appreciate rugged reliability. That is why I stick with rocker-locked folders. I can draw my Cold Steel "Voyager" folder .

When rocker locks/lock back wear they fail easier and easier. When a frame lock wears, it locks in harder. Plus you don't want the release mechanism on the top of the handle that you are pushing down hard on.

You want rugged reliability, dump cold steel and lock backs.

I've carried the ZT350 knife for a few years now and love it. It's a smaller version of the 300/301 series ZT knives. Keeps a sharp edge, no play in the blade/lock mechanism. A good size knife but yet small enough to carry everyday.

zt350.jpg

If I carried an assisted this is where I would go. Great blade and lockup.

I personally have never seen one with a good functional lock for the closed position. I say "functional", because in my mind it would have to be able to be released in the same motion as opening the blade, otherwise it would be too cumbersome to be effective in an emergency or self defense situation. I carry a Kershaw Leek as my edc knife, and have for about 10 years now. In that time I have never had it open in my pocket, or accidentally at all. There is a lock, but it holds the tip of the blade, which I find cumbersome and useless to employ one handed, so I tightened the screw so that it can not accidentally lock the blade, but I never actually use it either. For those talking about something else to go wrong, I once felt that way, but this Speed safe mechanism has me sold on it's durability as I have had several over the years in all conditions and never once has any of them failed me. If it did break, then the knife would still function as a regular one hand opening knife, so I don't see you have anything to lose even if the spring breaks.

The knife I carry has a sliding lock button where your thumb rests on the side. To unlock, the slider is moved toward the butt of the knife which charges your thumb for a natural transition to the thumb stud on the blade. This design is extremely fast and secure. I have never encountered an equally suitable lock switch.

When rocker locks/lock back wear they fail easier and easier. When a frame lock wears, it locks in harder. Plus you don't want the release mechanism on the top of the handle that you are pushing down hard on.

I had mine for over a dozen years. Hasn't failed me yet. Lynn C. Thompson sells products that he and his company completely back. My "Voyager" has seen some very rugged use and stills works and looks almost as good as the day it came out of the box. Very easy to re-sharpen and really holds an edge! Hasn't rusted yet, even after more than a decade of riding in my right front pocket, against my sometimes very-sweaty hide. Was exposed to river water and salt water with no ill effects either. Money well spent. Still miss my old Gerber FS II some times though. Sorry I ever swapped it with a friend to settle a small debt so many years ago. Carried it through four years of college and six years after graduation. Like a first love, some things you just never can forget!

This has been my experience as well with regard to lock designs. Not a knock against Cold Steel because they make some nice stuff, but a simple liner lock is about the strongest, most durable lock design, and it feels very natural (to me) for one handed closing as well.

If you like the knife but don't like the assist opening, you can always remove the internal spring and it will just be a regular flipper knife. Lots of people do it and prefer it that way.

There are three major knife companies, all with excellent reputations for quality and many many different styles and price points:

Spyderco
Zero Tolerance/Kershaw
Benchmade

Which you prefer is a matter of personal taste, but there's something there for everyone. Nice balance of quality and affordability.

There are higher end options as well, but then you are talking $400+ folders from the likes of Chris Reeve, Strider, Hinderer--usually know as "mid-techs".

Then you have the customs...some of which can go for more than a custom 1911.

Looking for an assisted opening knife. Any one have any experience with ZT knives? They are pretty expensive not sure if they are worth it.

Any input is appreciated

ZT0200 unasisted but great and relatively cheap for a ZT. Get a blem from Kershawguy online for about $90-$100.

If you really want assisted, ZT0300/301/302 or ZT0350 if you need something a little smaller. Again, if it's a user get a blem from Kershawguy.

If you want new, ask him for his ZT price list. His pricing is all inclusive and he will beat any online knife dealer out there for new ZT's, He also has some pretty good pricing on the Kershaw line.

ZT0200 unasisted but great and relatively cheap for a ZT. Get a blem from Kershawguy online for about $90-$100.

If you really want assisted, ZT0300/301/302 or ZT0350 if you need something a little smaller. Again, if it's a user get a blem from Kershawguy.

If you want new, ask him for his ZT price list. His pricing is all inclusive and he will beat any online knife dealer out there for new ZT's, He also has some pretty good pricing on the Kershaw line.

I second Kershawguy.com You can get some awesome deals there! and his stock is constantly changing so if you don't see one you like this month, you might in a few weeks.

Good knife for small $ (under $50).
Kershaw Cryo, (2.75 inch blade) want something larger look for the new Cryo II (like 3.5 inch blade).
Heavy little knife but it is fast opening, a frame lock, and has the Hinderer lock bar stabilizer previously only available in knives costing much more $$$.
And it has a four way deep carry pocket clip.
It was designed by Rick Hinderer and was a 2012 Blade magazine best buy.
smitty

Last edited:
Good knife for small $ (under $50).
Kershaw Cryo, (2.75 inch blade) want something larger look for the new Cryo II (like 3.5 inch blade).
Heavy little knife but it is fast opening, a frame lock, and has the Hinderer lock bar stabilizer previously only available in knives costing much more $$$.
And it has a four way deep carry pocket clip.
It was designed by Rick Hinderer and was a 2012 Blade magazine best buy.
smitty

The Cryo is a great little blade for cheap. I picked one up a few weeks back.

Back
Top Bottom