• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Assistance purchasing quality workhorse 1911

... There is also the issue of galling, which can be mitigated with quality steel and manufacturing and proper lubrication. Regraining can also be done with 600 grit wet sandpaper and oil, using a file to keep the sandpaper square to the flats of the gun - but only if you really know what you are doing.

I don't think the galling issue is a major one the way it was in the day when the first stainless 1911's came out, think AMT Hardballer, or Randall's. After 40 some odd years of stainless 1911's most makers have figured out how to make stainless guns with the right alloys to avoid that problem. IMO, though Rob I respect your opinion of things so YMMV.

Yeah as a machinist I was like yeah f that , not dealing with the chance with galing Main reason why I went with a r1.
90% of the job I fix at work are broken stainless screws in stainless plates.

I've narrowed it down to either a Springfield armory, a smith and Wesson 1911sc e series, or something custom. I'll need to shop around a bit more but those are my three options as of now. Looking for the 4.25 commander model. Anyone see any of these around I can go see first hand?

Ya. I know this. I've seen them in classifieds here and there, but I know they're few and far between. I know if I looked hard Anouilh in the right spots, one will pop up. Just not sure if the difference between one and say a e series is worth the wait and the money.

Where do you live? If you live in MA, you'll have a hard time finding a Springfield Armory.

Can I ask how you decided on Springfield Armory over S&W? I have a SA 1911 myself and it's nice, but the S&W's seem just as nice and are a lot easier to find.

Personally, I'd get a Colt National Match.

You are better off getting a Ruger SR1911 or Remington R1 than overpaying for a Springfield Armory. I've got a Springfield Armory 1911 and, frankly, I'm seriously unimpressed.

I concur with most of the opinions expressed here. I've never owned a Para but I've heard things.... not good things. A local, popular, established shop close by said Para was the only brand of 1911 they wouldn't carry. When they did, something like 90% of the ones sold had feeding issues. This being said, they also mentioned that the ones that sold new, came back, and was sent back to Para for warranty service seemed to function well on return.

SA has a decent reputation and their quality goes up with the price, S&W quality is infamous. I'd steer away from a high-end boutique 1911 unless you're really serious about it.... These days you can get a quality made, US manufactured, 1911 for about $650 to $1000. The Ruger and Remington are great choices. See what you can find, what you like, and what deal you can afford. Go name brand and you won't get hurt.....

Just my 3 cents. (inflation, you know....)

Les Baer or Ed Brown if money is expendable. Entry level price wise, Remmy R1 or Ruger. Higher up the food chain, E series Smiths are nice, pretty guns. I own 2 E's, the 1911 5" and 1911sc bobtail. Both work like champs. If it were me, I'd find a Colt 1911 full size or a Commander to carry. I own a Series 80 Commander too, plain looking comparied to the Smiths but a work horse just the same.

Back
Top Bottom