Assembling Lowers

I have two Ar lowers that I've had sitting around for years and I'm starting to aseemble them.

what steps do i need to ensure that i do everything by the law?

any help is appreciated.

Just use any lower parts kit you like for the ar-15. After you assemble the whole rifle the only 3 things you need to consider to keep compliant is the muzzle device (brake) needs to be pinned, bayo lug needs to be shaved off and the stock if adjustable needs to be fixed. Also keep in mind the barrel needs to be at least 16" if building a rifle. Hope that helps.

If you are building two its probably a good idea to google tools that make building easier. They will not break the bank but make the process faster and less chance of damaging the finish.

Above posts already cover the legal stuff. Are you in Mass? If so, be sure to register via the EFA10 portal within 7 days of completing the rifle. If you can load bullets and it will go boom when you pull the trigger, you have 7 days to register.

As a side note- when you do the detents & springs, expect those little M-Fers to go flying across the room. Be in a room where you can find them after they bounce off the ceiling. Been there done that, and when I move out of this house I'm going to find a dozen of the little buggers in the basement.

Above posts already cover the legal stuff. Are you in Mass? If so, be sure to register via the EFA10 portal within 7 days of completing the rifle. If you can load bullets and it will go boom when you pull the trigger, you have 7 days to register.

As a side note- when you do the detents & springs, expect those little M-Fers to go flying across the room. Be in a room where you can find them after they bounce off the ceiling. Been there done that, and when I move out of this house I'm going to find a dozen of the little buggers in the basement.

And wear safety glasses

You can also assemble those parts in a large bag or pillowcase to catch the little suckers if they launch.

Brownell's also has a bunch of videos for those new to building their own and will take you though most of it

As mentioned above to build it in MA:
  1. Stock must be fixed or pinned
  2. No bayonet lugs
  3. No flash hider/suppressor
  4. If you use a muzzle break it must be pinned and welded
  5. FA-10 seven days after completing rifle to a point it can fire a round
Good luck!

Depends on how long is long that these lowers been sitting/made. Pre94 post 94 is a big question
Meh I wouldn't care. I'm in the process of building a SBR with a "post Healey" lower as many others have done without issue. Can't speak to the risk with dealers selling post Healey lowers, though I know a few that are...

Just use any lower parts kit you like for the ar-15. After you assemble the whole rifle the only 3 things you need to consider to keep compliant is the muzzle device (brake) needs to be pinned, bayo lug needs to be shaved off and the stock if adjustable needs to be fixed. Also keep in mind the barrel needs to be at least 16" if building a rifle. Hope that helps.

If you are building two its probably a good idea to google tools that make building easier. They will not break the bank but make the process faster and less chance of damaging the finish.

OP, the 16" barrel length requirement includes that pinned muzzle brake, which is why you see a lot of 14.5" barrels on the market.

Brownells does make a fancy tool for the front takedown pin. After you launch 40 detents into orbit you'll wonder why you didn't just spend the $12.

I just grow my thumb nail long for a week before I'm going to build a lower. Then its a piece of cake. Ha.

In all seriousness. I start it with a hemostat, then press plunger in with my thumbnail, then insert pin. I never seem to lose any. (now Ive cursed myself)

i saw the brownell tool too, but i just use an allen wrench to hold it while i push the allen wrench out with the pin

If you don't want to hand Brownells $12, next time you're at Home Depot, or Lowe's, or Ace....

1/4 in. x 2 in. Zinc-Plated Universal Clevis Pin-815418 - The Home Depot

metallics-pins-rings-clips-815418-64_1000.jpg

i just need to borrow someone's vice, torque wrench and armor's tool to get the barrel nut torqued down after the last of the parts come in saturday

you need to specify which law though, the law of the Land, unconstitutional ban, edict 1 and/or 2.

also you don't need to file ef10 until 7 days since it can discharge bullets or something. I haven't figured a way to do that with just lower though.

you need to specify which law though, the law of the Land, unconstitutional ban, edict 1 and/or 2.

also you don't need to file ef10 until 7 days since it can discharge bullets or something. I haven't figured a way to do that with just lower though.

What exactly are are we filing out on the EFA. There section on manufacturer?

You have to hold the round very firmly in your fingers right in front of the hammer, which you'll need to glue a small ball bearing to. The good news is that you'll have a true multi-caliber setup, but the bad news is that accuracy is awful. I haven't been able to get any rounds on paper yet.

You have to hold the round very firmly in your fingers right in front of the hammer, which you'll need to glue a small ball bearing to. The good news is that you'll have a true multi-caliber setup, but the bad news is that accuracy is awful. I haven't been able to get any rounds on paper yet.

...and you're running out of fingers.

When you do a registration, you DO NOT!!!!! enter a source for the firearm. Leave all seller sections blank.

Since a lower is not a firearm per MA law, you did not receive a firearm from whoever you bought the lower from. (remember we are dealing with MA law here, not fed. Fed law, the lower is a firearm). You received an unregulated gun part per ma law.

What About a Ar pistol build?

???

Same assembly procedures are involved and it's not a firearm until it can go bang. Registration per the requirements of your state. Free state- make sure it's a pistol and not SBR, which requires ATF tax stamp. Otherwise make what you want. Mass? Simple answer is it needs to be fixed mag lower 10 rounds or less. There are a number of threads regarding AR pistols, check them out and read carefully to filter out any nonsense.

Brownell's also has a bunch of videos for those new to building their own and will take you though most of it

As mentioned above to build it in MA:
  1. Stock must be fixed or pinned
  2. No bayonet lugs
  3. No flash hider/suppressor
  4. If you use a muzzle break it must be pinned and welded
  5. FA-10 seven days after completing rifle to a point it can fire a round
Good luck!

New to 80 % scene- what would someone do WRT serial # on the the E-FA 10?

(Lank then ran for cover from NES replies)

Back
Top Bottom