• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Assembling A Stripped Lower

On the below Youtube.com videos, this guys assembles the stripped lower in about 15 min, with common tools (except a Castel Nut tool). Would the only problem I’d run into if I follow his instruction be some scratches to the finish from missing with the hammer? Would all you need to do to finish the build is snap a complete upper on it? I might give it a try if I all I have to do is follow the video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iA_Vkb2UB1w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jq4KfUaVp8M&NR=1

Hi BullieBred,

I just did this myself last week. Bought a lower at ACME ARMAMENT then went home and put it together. I did follow the videos on YouTube and it's actually pretty easy. It took me about 45 min total. All I used was a small brass Jeweler's hammer and some punches I bought at Harbor Freight. Use electrical tape to cover any areas that may get impacted by the hammer. You can also use pliers with tape on the jaws to push in some of the pins. Once it was assembled I simply attached my upper and it seemed to function fine. Took it to the range a few days later and it performed flawlessly. I was proud I built it myself and couldn't believe how simple it really is. Just take your time and make sure you have enough room so that if a spring goes flying off you can find it easily.

It's fun to assemble.
Just use some electrical or masking tape to protect the finish...or not because it's a gun and it's meant to get dirty.

If you're not mechanically inclined, give it about an hour and a half or so.

Hi BullieBred,

I just did this myself last week. Bought a lower at ACME ARMAMENT then went home and put it together. I did follow the videos on YouTube and it's actually pretty easy. It took me about 45 min total. All I used was a small brass Jeweler's hammer and some punches I bought at Harbor Freight. Use electrical tape to cover any areas that may get impacted by the hammer. You can also use pliers with tape on the jaws to push in some of the pins. Once it was assembled I simply attached my upper and it seemed to function fine. Took it to the range a few days later and it performed flawlessly. I was proud I built it myself and couldn't believe how simple it really is. Just take your time and make sure you have enough room so that if a spring goes flying off you can find it easily.

Looking to do the same thing. Scott can you please send me a PM on where you got your upper or some links to help me finish my build. My lower parts kit should be in this week want to get this thing shooting asap thanks.

It's a piece of cake....and yes you just snap a complete upper on it. Realistically your first one will take an hour or so, after that you can probably do it in a lot less time.

Some electrical or thick masking tape like already said above will help keep marks off the build.

Just to add one suggestion that has helped me in the past. When assembling those really tiny detents and springs, assemble them in a large plastic storage bag. If the little missile decides to launch, you'll catch it in midflight. Trust me. They disappear forever!

Rome

Looking to do the same thing. Scott can you please send me a PM on where you got your upper or some links to help me finish my build. My lower parts kit should be in this week want to get this thing shooting asap thanks.

Hi Blindndead.....I see you are going to Acme on Saturday....that's where I got my lower...not sure if Adam has anymore but if you call him ahead of time he may be able to get you one. If not I believe they have some at Village Sports in Westport as well. As for tools all I picked up was the small brass hammer and punch set at Harbor Freight in Fall River.

Thanks for all the replies, I am going to order up the parts and swing by my local shop to see if they have any lowers in stock.

Blindndead, I got my lower (Roggio) from Zero Hour. You could try them.

Bulliebred, it really is pretty easy if you follow the video carefully.

Does a DPMS parts kit on a RRA stripped lower and a Stag Arms Model 4H 20in upper sound ok?

Last edited:
Ar15.com is a great site for builds. I have been using their site for about 3 years. There is a lot of info about were to buy parts. Last year I bought 2 lowers from DS Arms for $60.00 ea and that included the shipping to my local FFL dealer for the transfer which cost $25.00 per lower. There is also many classified ads for used parts like stocks and barrels and complete uppers.

Building an AR-15 is a pretty straight forward and rewarding project. I'd suggest that a builder invest a few bucks in the right tools. They'll be useful over the life of your AR. I think that at least a set of good roll pin punches and roll pin starters is in order. The good roll pin punches have a little nib in the middle of the driving surface that keeps the punch from slipping off the pin while you are driving it home. Here's a link to a site about building a complete AR-15 rifle including assembling the upper from parts.

http://ultimatereloader.com/2010/12/11/ar-mpr-tool-inventory-for-ar-15-build/

This link has some info on the recommended tools. Note the further links for the build in the left panel of the web page. The videos are very informative.

Foggy65

I assembled my first lower about 2 weeks ago and used the instructions from ar15.com. Took about an hour but it is very easy and fun to do and after you have a nice feeling of satisfaction.

Brownells & I believe Midway have assembly videos also.

That's what I used along with "The AR-15 AR15 Complete Assembly Guide Manual" by Walt Kuleck.

Total time was about an hour and a half as I really took my time. I'm putting another together soon and expect to take abot 45 minutes.

Hi Blindndead.....I see you are going to Acme on Saturday....that's where I got my lower...not sure if Adam has anymore but if you call him ahead of time he may be able to get you one. If not I believe they have some at Village Sports in Westport as well. As for tools all I picked up was the small brass hammer and punch set at Harbor Freight in Fall River.

Hi folks,
Yes we do have some AR Lowers in stock. We also have Daniel Defense Lower Parts KIt in stock. See you on Saturday. [grin]

Please call me if anyone needs build information. I will be happy to answer any questions you might have.
Thanks
John
413 579 1994

also get yourself a little aluminum rod that matches the diameter of the takedown pin holes, drill a hole in it to accomodate the PITA detent pin and you'll figure out the rest... this little "tool" has saved me some time and a headache.

Back
Top Bottom