"Assault Weapons" Ban survey

DispositionMatrix

NES Member
The creator of the survey, Eagle694 on Reddit, is supposedly pro-RKBA, and question 1 of the survey _does_ offer a rudimentary definition of "assault weapon" for the purpose of getting through the survey. I instinctively asked Eagle694 what an "assault weapon" is prior to reading the survey.
https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/RJY875Z

Here is his explanation:
https://www.reddit.com/r/SampleSize/comments/3xmsag/academic_assault_weapons_ban_survey_any_and_all/
Greetings. I am conducting research on the prevalence of ownership of assault weapons, who owns them, and what they are used for, as well as other data relating to gun ownership in America.I've put together a very short, 10 question survey on the subject. The average time to complete the survey is under 2 minutes.
To maintain a fair, diverse sample, the survey is being shared on subreddits which promote gun rights and gun control.
The goal is to have a sample size of at least 500 responses. If that goal is met, I will have a sufficient sample to write a scientifically valid paper analyzing the data, which will be sent to legislators involved in gun rights/control debates.

tumblr_n6nakdWjgW1rf7pebo1_500.gif

Any survey that asks me what I own won't be something I'll take

Last edited:
done - nothing personal in the questions. Mass already is aware of what firearms I own.

It's surveymonkey, not a government conspiracy.
foil_guy_1920_2.jpg

Pasting your personal information across the Internet is a personal decision. I don't expect anyone to take my advice on it, I simply choose to publish that information at my own discretion. When I'm asked if I think I own weapons classified as assault weapons, I'm done. Carry on!

Last edited:
yeah, i wasn't comfortable with it either so i left it on the table, my choice. but glancing quickly at the first couple of questions, he kind of wants the nut balls, felons, and mental defectives to out themselves.

I've thought about making a survey that has people identify 10 legally defined "assault weapons" yes/no followed by a question on their support for the ban. Id hypothesize that very few who knew what "assault weapons" were would support a ban.

Mike

Sent from my cell phone with a tiny keyboard and large thumbs...

I didn't actually take the survey because I thought it was moronic, even if its author meant well.

It is always easier to criticize than to do (destroy versus build, etc). Maybe if we give him constructive feedback on why the questions are less than ideal he will do a better job next time.

See how I avoided saying "At least he is doing something" and falling into that libtard trap?

There's no way "Eagle694 on Reddit" can get a scientifically valid paper out of a survey based on self-selecting participants.

This.

It is always easier to criticize than to do (destroy versus build, etc). Maybe if we give him constructive feedback on why the questions are less than ideal he will do a better job next time.

See above - the quality of the questions doesn't matter when the sampling method is invalid.

Even though it's fun to hammer those newspaper polls with pro 2A responses.

You don't have to answer all questions to submit. I only answered that I thought an AWB would increase all crime and that "universal background checks" would not limit illegal access.

I left all other questions unanswered.

"What do you do with your assault rifle, check all that apply"

Other:
By changing my rifle a bit I can do the following: shot 20ga shotgun shells for small birds? Check; Shoot skeet/trap? Check; Swap it out for .22lr for plinking? Check, Varmint hunting? Check; 'nother swap for .223/5.56 to compete with? Check; Swap to .300blk to hunt deer/boar/whatever I want? Check, LR precision shooting? Check- The better question isn't what DO I do with my assault weapon, it's what can't I do with my assault weapon: Own it in peace.

Answered as a non-owner pro 2A... might provide him with some interesting results...

1. Do you own any type of firearm which some consider to be an "Assault Weapon"?
No

2. If you answered "Yes" to question 1, was/were your firearm(s) acquired in a legal manner?
Does not apply (I answered "No" to question 1)

3. Are you a person who is prohibited to acquire, possess or carry a firearm
No

4. Have you ever used such a weapon (as described in question 1) to commit, or attempt to commit, any murder, felonious assault, or any other crime?
No

5. What is your reason(s) for owning such a firearm?
Self-Defense and/or protection of home, family/friends, business or other real property
Hunting
Casual Target Shooting
Competition (sanctioned by a recognized shooting sports organization- NRA, NSSF, IDPA, etc)
Casual Competition (such as among friends, within a private club, etc)

6. Do you currently, or have you ever held any type of license
No

7. If you answered "Yes" to question 6, since receiving your permit, have you committed any crime
Does not apply (I answered "No" to question 6)

8. What effect do you believe a federal Assault Weapons Ban will have
Increase in gun crime

9. What effect do you believe a federal Assault Weapons Ban will have on the total crime rate?
Increase in crime

10. Do you believe expanded federal background check requirements (such as requiring checks for private sales) will effectively cut off access to firearms by prohibited persons?
No

If you participate in this survey you legitimize the term "assault weapon" which is a total fabrication of the gun grabbers.

That is what I was thinking -- the surveyor presupposes that there is legitimacy to this buzzword and its application to modern sports firearms.

It is infuriating to listen to TV reports and taking heads parrot the term "assault weapon" day-in-day-out as a means of hyperbole.

Of course I am not telling you guys anything you do not already know -- but this surveyor is fishing with the wrong bait for me.

Don't bother with it. Seriously. The person running it doesn't have even the slightest understanding of statistics. You can tell that when they say:

The goal is to have a sample size of at least 500 responses. If that goal is met, I will have a sufficient sample to write a scientifically valid paper analyzing the data, which will be sent to legislators involved in gun rights/control debates.

A self-selecting survey is, by its very nature, not representative of the population as a whole. And as such, it is not predictive, in any way, of the population as a whole. It is completely and utterly worthless, just like those "polls" on newspaper web sites. Anyone who has taken a single probability/statistics course (and paid attention) would realize this.

The way I look at it. He is going to publish the results anyway, regardless of whether we choose to respond or not. So, why not direct the results as best we can. I thought about putting in the comment refuting the definition of assault weapon, and have a rather lengthy response drafted. I decided against it because it would flag me as an owner posing and a non-owner, and would get my response thrown out.

Back
Top Bottom