• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Assault Rifle v.s. Assault Weapon Discussion

kevin9

NES Member
Creating a separate discussion as the assault weapon v.s. assault rife definition discussion in this thread was getting to far OT from the OP. As background one can read this, this, this, this, this, this, this and this post

To start I'll repeat my last question: I'm interested in the history of the definition of "assault rifle" in Webster's (and/or Encyclopedia Britannica). For example, what was the definition of "assault rifle" up until 1990 or so, and then during the federal AWB? Same for "assault weapon". When did semi-auto-only rifles become included in the definition of "assault rifle"?

I've got a 1985 Webster's Ninth New Collegiate Dictionary at work that does not define either term. Anyone with different versions/vintages please post those definitions.

Here's the definition from Wikipedia English:
Wikipedia English - The Free Encyclopedia

An assault rifle is a selective fire rifle or carbine firing ammunition with muzzle energies intermediate between those typical of pistol and battle rifle ammunition. Assault rifles are categorized between light machine guns, intended more for sustained automatic fire in a support role, and submachine guns, which fire a handgun cartridge rather than a rifle cartridge. Assault rifles are the standard small arms in most modern armies, having largely replaced or supplemented larger, more powerful battle rifles, such as the World War II-era M1 Garand and Tokarev SVT. Examples of assault rifles include the AK-47 and the M16 rifle. Semi-automatic rifles, including commercial versions of the AR-15, and "automatic" rifles limited to firing single shots are not assault rifles as they are not selective fire. Belt-fed weapons or rifles with very limited capacity fixed magazines are also generally not considered assault rifles.

From Britanica Encyclopedia:

Britannica Concise Encyclopedia: assault rifle
Top Home > Library > Miscellaneous > Britannica Concise Encyclopedia

Military firearm that is chambered for ammunition of reduced size or propellant charge and has the capacity to switch between semiautomatic and fully automatic fire. Light and portable, yet able to deliver a high volume of fire with reasonable accuracy at modern combat ranges of 1,000 – 1,600 ft (300 – 500 m), assault rifles have become the standard infantry weapon of modern armies. Their ease of handling makes them ideal for mobile assault troops crowded into personnel carriers or helicopters, as well as for guerrilla fighters engaged in jungle or urban warfare. Widely used assault rifles are the U.S. M16, the Soviet Kalashnikov (the AK-47 and modernized versions), the Belgian FAL and FNC, and the German G3.

Using the term "Assault Rifle" interchably with "Semi-Automatic Assault Weapon" is a very new concept that I've only seen since the sunset of the '94 Assault Weapons Ban. The term "Assault Weapon" refering to a semi-automatic version of a military assault rifle wasn't even used until the writing of the Assault Weapons Ban. It was selected by the drafters to draw up pubic support for the ban by associating the ban with military assault rifles that most of the public feel there is no legitimate need for civilian ownership and don't realize that these weapons have been highly restricted since 1934.

Assault rifle has a very particular definition -- a selective fire rifle firing an intermediate cartridge. Assault weapon is a pejorative made up by anti-gun people (Brady Center).

Here's the definition from Wikipedia English: ...
In this case Wikipeda gets it right. The problem is Wikipedia generally is not considered an authoritative source because of its very nature.
From Britanica Encyclopedia: ...
This is one of the definitions that's part of the problem. What you quoted was the first part of the definition which is correct. However, the last sentence in the entry clumsily attempts to include assault weapons in the definition:
In those countries where assault rifles can be purchased in the civilian market, their sale is subject to various restrictions, such as the elimination of automatic action and of the capacity to fire high-performance military ammunition.
Using the term "Assault Rifle" interchably with "Semi-Automatic Assault Weapon" is a very new concept that I've only seen since the sunset of the '94 Assault Weapons Ban. The term "Assault Weapon" refering to a semi-automatic version of a military assault rifle wasn't even used until the writing of the Assault Weapons Ban. It was selected by the drafters to draw up pubic support for the ban by associating the ban with military assault rifles that most of the public feel there is no legitimate need for civilian ownership and don't realize that these weapons have been highly restricted since 1934.
Totally agree. I'm in part trying to collect some evidence of this contrived language manipulation via this thread.

The Merriam-Webster on-line dictionary defines Assault Rifle (as of 1972) including rifles that are semi-auto only.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/assault rifle

Main Entry: assault rifle
Function: noun
Date: 1972
: any of various automatic or semiautomatic rifles with large capacity magazines designed for military use

They added the Assault Weapon definition in 1973

Main Entry: assault weapon
Date: 1973
: any of various automatic or semiautomatic firearms ; especially : assault rifle

I checked in my 1981 hard cover version at home and found neither. I have no idea what their source was, so I've submitted a service inquiry asking for the source of their definitions.

This is a semantics battle that has waged on forever on gun boards.

FWIW "Assault Weapon" is easy- it's a piece of crap, fake, made up term by politicians, media, and anti gunners to try to demonize firearms. It has no legitimate use in the industry or in LE/Military terms... it's strictly a political term.

Assault Rifle, on the other hand, I suppose is open to interpretation, depending on who's dictionary it is you're reading.

The one prickly aspect of this debate is that proponents of the whole "we must delineate guns so the public is more aware of the differences" don't realize that ironically by doing so, they're also demonizing guns in the process, even if those guns are ones typically not owned by most civilians in the US- so, to get your point across, you basically have to throw machineguns under the bus in the process. This goes against the whole idea of trying to get people not to fear inanimate objects; and ironically we end up a situation where we're making arguments that sound like what an anti would say- "This gun is less dangerous because it does not have a feature some other gun has. " Or rather- "This gun is different from a (machinegun) and those have been heavily regulated for years and most people can't legally own them. " (but there's still the built in implied notional of "extra dangerousness" ).

-Mike

Last edited:
The Merriam-Webster on-line dictionary defines Assault Rifle (as of 1972) including rifles that are semi-auto only.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/assault rifle

Main Entry: assault rifle
Date: 1972
: any of various automatic or semiautomatic rifles with large capacity magazines designed for military use

They added the Assault Weapon definition in 1973

Main Entry: assault weapon
Date: 1973
: any of various automatic or semiautomatic firearms ; especially : assault rifle

I checked in my 1981 hard cover version at home and found neither. I have no idea what their source was, so I've submitted a service inquiry asking for the source of their definitions.
I think the dates listed are the dates that Webster's considers the word to have entered the English lexicon, not the date for which the listed definition(s) came into being, nor even the date when the word was added into the dictionary. For example, look at the entry for "gay". The date listed is "14 century", yet I'm quite certain the now common definition of that word did come into normal use until well into the 20th century.

Anyone have a Webster's dictionary from 1992 to 2002 that can look up and post the definitions, if any, of assault rifle and assault weapon?

"Assault Weapon" is a made-up term .It's language manipulation in order to make something sound bad in order to pass more laws against it. There was a "study" that i believe was posted on this forum, in which people were persuaded to ban WATER and all products that use water because of many bad things like it's leading contributor to soil errosion, inhaling a small amount of this dangerous chemical is fatal, etc. People can be persuaded to ban anything if you word your arguements right.

As described multiple times here, an Assault Rifle is a select fire rifle that typically can be operated in semi-auto, burst or full auto fire. It's no coincidence that the antis made the term for semi-automatic rifles very close to those of fully automatic military weapons.

"Assault Weapon" is a made-up term .It's language manipulation in order to make something sound bad in order to pass more laws against it. There was a "study" that i believe was posted on this forum, in which people were persuaded to ban WATER and all products that use water because of many bad things like it's leading contributor to soil errosion, inhaling a small amount of this dangerous chemical is fatal, etc. People can be persuaded to ban anything if you word your arguements right.

Ban Dihydrogen Monoxide!

To my mind, trying to draw a distinction between an "assault rifle" and "assault weapon" is an exercise in futility. Most people don't care, and where the English language is concerned, it's majority rule. I also don't think that legislators are quite so narrow-minded and foolish as to be befuddled by mere semantics (although it's a close call).

If it's a rifle, and it's an assault weapon (as defined by law), how is it wrong to call it an assault rifle?

As noted, "assault rifle" is a propaganda term used to paint the picture of an army mowing down a crowd of innocents, and I think the term should be taken as synonymous with "infantryman's rifle."

Last edited:
I believe the media and politicians are in large part responsible for linguistic manipulation to fit their needs. After a distorted term becomes repeated enough through constant exposure, it becomes part of the vernacular. I had always thought of an "assault rifle" as a large capacity, select fire weapon. The MP44 has long been considered the grandfather of "assault rifles". In literal terms, an "assault weapon" is anything that is being used to assault someone, be it gun, knife, rock or whatever. Just my .02

BTW - Has anyone noticed that for the last 150 years, the plural of "cannon" had always been "cannon". Now I see that someone down the line has made is "cannons" and it has stuck. What's up with that?

The whole debate is pointless imo. It shouldn't matter what a weapon is called, its function is what is important. Just about any rifle can be used in the same manner. You can use them to shoot targets, animals, people, etc. Full auto rifles dont' necessarily make hitting anything easier.

Back
Top Bottom