"Assault Rifle" Problem? FBI Stats for Massachusetts

rigel

NES Member
I'll be putting a letter together using the following information and sending it to every Legislator and the Governor by Tuesday asking them to please clarify the "We must ACT NOW!" mantra and if they support our gun rights, I'm fortunate to have a Rep and Senator who do, to have their colleagues explain the crisis to them. I know the anti gun crowd does not like to "confuse the issue with the facts". Just though folks on the forum would have an interest in these numbers if they did not already know them.

The compiled totals for Massachusetts from the '05 to '11 FBI Crime in the USA annual reports are as follows

Murders 1,263

Of that total commited by Rifle 8; Shotgun 10; Knives/Sharps 262; Hands/Fists/Feet 54

Hmmm... no one should end up a murder stat; but 8 of 1,263 by Rifle? I really don't see a crisis here. How "many" of the 8 were "evil issue"? Obviously, somewhere between 8 and 0. I'll vote for 0 since the "evil ones" are in the decided minority of the rifle pop in the US.

My two cents for now.

I'll be putting a letter together using the following information and sending it to every Legislator and the Governor by Tuesday asking them to please clarify the "We must ACT NOW!" mantra and if they support our gun rights, I'm fortunate to have a Rep and Senator who do, to have their colleagues explain the crisis to them. I know the anti gun crowd does not like to "confuse the issue with the facts". Just though folks on the forum would have an interest in these numbers if they did not already know them.

The compiled totals for Massachusetts from the '05 to '11 FBI Crime in the USA annual reports are as follows

Murders 1,263

Of that total commited by Rifle 8; Shotgun 10; Knives/Sharps 262; Hands/Fists/Feet 54

Hmmm... no one should end up a murder stat; but 8 of 1,263 by Rifle? I really don't see a crisis here. How "many" of the 8 were "evil issue"? Obviously, somewhere between 8 and 0. I'll vote for 0 since the "evil ones" are in the decided minority of the rifle pop in the US.

My two cents for now.

That's great. Those "facts" that you are talking about are what has really been pissing me off.

Honestly I think the "facts" are what we can use to tear down the gun banners arguments - because the facts are so diametrically at odds with what they are claiming it's to the point of being completely ridiculous.

Honestly - instead of just sending letters to legislators and the governor - I think we need to start some sort of viral internet campaign - go door to door - sell T-shirts - something - anything - the facts bury the gun banners arguments completely. We need to make sure people know this.

Here's some more great info to add to the FACT list.

You are at a higher risk of dying of genocide - than you are of being murdered with a firearm in the United States:

Last edited by a moderator:
why form coherent thoughts and arguments out of hard facts when you can fabricate anything you want to meet any gaol you have in 1/10 the time

- because the facts are so diametrically at odds with what they are claiming it's to the point of being completely ridiculous.

Now if only people could hear these facts and process them instead of the mainstream propaganda crap spilling into there ears 24/7.

We need to talk to the people around us and give our opinions, I've brought over 20 guys from my work with no firearm experience down to the range the past couple years,
a few of them are there more than me now. I think that's the best thing you can do, get people involved.

Murders 1,263

So... where the other 929 all handguns, or were there other things like baseball bat/golf club/chain?

Murders 1,263

My two cents for now.

But, but, it's only because we can't have flash suppressors and collapsible stocks..

But moonbats aren't capable of rational thought and they make up their own facts. [rolleyes]

Oh yeah, and we're not trying to appeal to moonbats anyway. Because as you pointed out - they're just going to make shit up. The people you're looking to appeal to is all the people "in the middle" who may not own guns at all - but are being a plate full of lies by the left and the gun banners.

You're looking to discredit completely everything the gun banners say.

Appeals to Molon Labe and even dramatic pictures of Minutemen with AR-15's hoisted over their heads - will have no effect on these people.

Show them the FACTS so they can form an opinion that isn't based on lies.

It's all in how a person chooses to interpret the statistics! Here in MA a person is 8 times more likely to be killed by hands and feet, and 40 times more likely to be stabbed than killed with a rifle. Given these numbers, it only makes sense to propose legislation banning steak knives, and to limit citizens to a combination of two feet and one hand or two hands and one foot. [smile]

Paul

I would like to see some statistics on how many guns are used in crime that can be traced back to LTC holders. Or non-Federally prohibited persons vs. PP persons. I'm sure the numbers are low.

Also, would be interesting to know many gun-related charges are dismissed/reduced (along the lines of no more laws, just use the ones you have).

I'd be interested in knowing the number of handgun murders. Unfortunately, that one is likely a bit higher. Man-o-man, it would be great to know legally owned v. illegally owned guns.

For those of use in MA, I wonder if ANYONE has been killed with a bayonet in recent history. Kills me that bayonet lugs are a banned item.

So... where the other 929 all handguns, or were there other things like baseball bat/golf club/chain?
Exactly right. You know that many were handguns. These stats are great to support "assault rifles" but will likely backfire viz. handguns.

And, per post from paulleve, the unknown firearms don't help; someone could assume they were all rifles, someone else that they were all handguns. Without knowing, the argument that the 8 named rifles is de minimus becomes specious.

Last edited:
It is likely the Anti's leadership know facts are not on their side and they've flanked 2A using "urgency".
Translation: we know facts don't support our cause but if we hurry we can use emotion to ram these laws through anyway.

We need to also challenge the claim of urgency.

2 examples:
1.Tuesday's NY legislation. Why did that need to happen in one 8 hour day? Some of the legislators claim they were given 3 minutes to
read the bill before being asked to vote on it. Most legislation in NY is subject to a minimum 3 day public review. If there was something
magic about needing it on Tuesday, why couldn't the Legislature by called back 3 days earlier to allow for public comment? Cuomo's claim
was he didn't want to spark a buying frenzy. We all know there's nothing left to buy!!

2. If we need to "fix what happened in Newtown" why are we proposing laws before the final report from that investigation is in? The
report will be released sometime in March. Shouldn't any new legislation proposed respond to "causes" cited by this report? If
it's that important to act quickly why can't more urgency (manpower, etc) be attached to publishing that report sooner?

Sorry to put on my tinfoil cap, but who is to say we will get a "non-doctored" version of the report that DoJ has not influenced? Just asking.

I'm not suggesting the report will necessarily help the 2A case, but it is valid to ask why we don't wait for it. More time equals less emotion.
The message that "we should wait" may find a more receptive audience than "which new laws should we pass now", allowing more time
to sway people willing to listen to reason.

But, but, if it saves just one child...

States should start by putting money into seatbelts for school buses, as those still are not an option for our kids to wear, yet vehicle crashes still well outweigh gun stats.

Last edited:

Murders 1,263

My two cents for now.

Where are you finding the actually breakdown of Murders?

Back
Top Bottom