Aspiring firearm store owner problems

I appreciate all the Input! I'm wondering if I should just bite the bullet (no pun intended) and see if I can get into the Littleton mill just to start out and then can work on relocating closer to my home. I'm still checking around and haven't given up on a place closer just yet. I reached out to mk tek as you suggested @aeromarine , I also am looking into the Bridgewater space mentioned
You’d have to ask @one-eyed Jack or @EddieCoyle but I thought I remember reading that there were no more open spaces at the mill?

2-1/2 hours of driving for every day you open the shop? Might want to rethink that.

I've had a couple kickass businesses that started out as part-time hobbies. We really do need a South Shore Mill. No offense to Littleton.
I've always commuted for work and am used to long time behind the wheel given my job (HVAC service tech) , it's certainly not most ideal but I've commuted to jobs I've hated I would surely commute to a job I loved especially given I'd be the boss! But I do agree cutting down drive time would be a better bet, and I also wouldn't stay in Littleton forever if I did go that route.

You can't play games with leases. The lease and even simple rental agreements will lnclude the type of activity. Jack.
FWIW, in 22 years of leases for my business, ranging from 1,000 ft2 to 4,000 ft2 in general office and service environments, I have never had my business type mentioned in the lease.

FWIW, in 22 years of leases for my business, ranging from 1,000 ft2 to 4,000 ft2 in general office and service environments, I have never had my business type mentioned in the lease.
I've used "any allowed use" on the standard Boston lease form. Covers my butt. Also, no harm in getting to know the tenant. Jack.

Singletary Place, located at 115 West Main Street, features 65,000 SF of existing Revolutionary War-era brick & beam factory building, which will transform into an idyllic mixed-use center of residential, office, and retail space and 10 acres of landscaped trails and environmental attractions.

There's a TON of old mills in, you guessed it, MILLbury!

1657162664342.png

1657162803654.png

Last edited:
I know what I'm getting Into, have quite a few friends operating FFL and regular 9-5 gun stores, this isn't a primary income for me and may never be. I have my reasons for wanting into the business and have a primary income to back it up
Can you ask them to call their landlords and see if they have other buildings?

You already know the landlord is FFL friendly.

Last edited:
After managing commercial rental properties for many years I've found that the "gun guys" make the best tenants. Jack.
I wonder if some of that is most of your tenants don't really expect to earn a living off their mill based shop and don't have a financial nut to crack each month to make payroll or rent.

I wonder if some of that is most of your tenants don't really expect to earn a living off their mill based shop and don't have a financial nut to crack each month to make payroll or rent.
Well, as you know, in Mass you need a place to keep your records that is not a residence. ATF frowns on getting the FFL to enhance a personal collection. However, you can enhance your dealer inventory as much as you want. For a serious gunny, the 07FFL/SOT opens the door to full auto, suppressed and other neat stuff that can be for personal use. ATF wants you to make a profit, but they don't say how much. Just keep your paperwork in order and you are OK. If you don't want to sell anything in Mass, you don't need the state licenses, business cert. or any of that shit. ATF will be happy and the state and town won't even know that you exist. Have fun. Jack.

Well, as you know, in Mass you need a place to keep your records that is not a residence. ATF frowns on getting the FFL to enhance a personal collection. However, you can enhance your dealer inventory as much as you want. For a serious gunny, the 07FFL/SOT opens the door to full auto, suppressed and other neat stuff that can be for personal use. ATF wants you to make a profit, but they don't say how much. Just keep your paperwork in order and you are OK. If you don't want to sell anything in Mass, you don't need the state licenses, business cert. or any of that shit. ATF will be happy and the state and town won't even know that you exist. Have fun. Jack.
Exactly my point - your tenants tend to be people who want the advantages of a commercial location and are not struggling to make the rent payment.

Plus, you are one of us and honor demands you be treated as such so Megan can get cashews instead of crackers.

Interesting ATF directive - gun writers, consultants, volunteers (their works, not mine) who are not W2 employees can get an FFL for transfers even if they have no intent to sell anything. This was done when the exemption for gun writers, etc. to receive inventory directly was changed to limit it to W2 employees for the FFL on the other end of the transfer.

Update for you guys! I really appreciate all the help and Input! I think I found a small place to start out in, essentially just a desk in a room in a mill, but this mill happens to be in fall river only 15min away. So paperwork is being drafted and I will be signing the dotted line, then the fun process of ATF paperwork and interviews, I'm expecting in 6-9 months I will register for a dealer account on here and you guys will be able to do business with me in an official capacity! Any advice some of you FFL guys can give for getting ready for ATF interview and all that?

Update for you guys! I really appreciate all the help and Input! I think I found a small place to start out in, essentially just a desk in a room in a mill, but this mill happens to be in fall river only 15min away. So paperwork is being drafted and I will be signing the dotted line, then the fun process of ATF paperwork and interviews, I'm expecting in 6-9 months I will register for a dealer account on here and you guys will be able to do business with me in an official capacity! Any advice some of you FFL guys can give for getting ready for ATF interview and all that?
I've seen 5-6 weeks from mailing the Form7 to interview to FFL in hand. Faster than getting a Mass LTC. The interview is not a test. You will be given information on how to do things right and how to keep your shit together. If the zoning is correct and if the town COP, who may be contacted by ATF, isn't an a**h***, the FFL will be shall issue. Jack.

Well, as you know, in Mass you need a place to keep your records that is not a residence.

No, I did not know that. Nor much of the other information you've shared here. When will you be offering an FFL overview class for us non-lawyers?

No, I did not know that. Nor much of the other information you've shared here. When will you be offering an FFL overview class for us non-lawyers?
Jack doesn't, but I do:

Back
Top Bottom