• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Asperger's Disorder

I didn't really want to say anything cause I'm trying to be good...

Thank you.

And TBP. Self control is one thing. There are a lot of people with no self control. They don't murder people. The argument that this murderer should be kept alive because he has this disorder is an excuse IMO.

Well, he should at the very least spend the rest of his life in prision. But I fear he'll be sentenced to a facility to help him cope with his disorder and he;ll be aback on the street in about 5 years...maybe a little less.

Thank you.

And TBP. Self control is one thing. There are a lot of people with no self control. They don't murder people. The argument that this murderer should be kept alive because he has this disorder is an excuse IMO.

I didn't say that. I only said that the desire to want to fry the kid is an
individual one and that after whatever consideration you deem to apply
to the situation if you still want to do that fine. There is something to be
said for applying a standard of retribution as the result of a crime regardless
of the circumstances surrounding the crime. The crime is the crime. I have
been involved with kids with AS and I'm not sure I could come to that decision.
That's all I am saying.

TBP

I understand. I would imagine if I had first had involvement I may change my mind. I have zero tolerance for a murderer. They make my blood boil.

Another thing to point out is that very often, kids with Asperger's become incredible targets and get picked-on mercilessly.

I'm sure all of you have pleasant memories from junior high, but just imagine being "quirky", different, or odd. One of the traits of AS is an inability to read social cues. That results in being unable to "play along" with the pranks and cutting jokes from your classmates, and as a result being further stigmatized and in some cases even more of a target.

It has been mentioned a couple of times here that AS kids don't try or care to fit in. I think it's more like they don't understand or comprehend how to fit in. Many genuinely care about "fitting in", in that they find their interactions with others to be very frustrating and wish it wasn't so. They just have little or no clue as to how to change things.

-Gary

do they know right from wrong? would a kid with this disorder know that stabbing someone to death is wrong?

I can only go by my nephew, we do remind him when he jokes about dieing that it's not like cartoons and they will come back to life, but it is for ever. He's 10. He had to learn about death at an early age because his father died when he was about 5, it took awhile for him to comprehend that Daddy wasn't coming home, but was in heaven.

so do you think the 16 year old knew right from wrong and knew that stabbing someone to death is wrong? The mohter in the article said her 9 year old is a sweetheart and that violence is not to be associated with this disorder? Would you agree with her?

do they know right from wrong? would a kid with this disorder know that stabbing someone to death is wrong?

I hate to answer a question with a question but why would a child stab another
child? A child's thought process is far different than yours. An AS child is so
far different it is hard for anyone to fathom how different until you have some
experience with them. They live in an entirely different universe than you and I.
Could I see an AS kid doing this? Absolutely! A thought that arises in an AS
person isn't a fleeting thought caused by some incident that occured. In an AS
person that thought will consume them and sometimes the ability to move them
off that spot is as challenging a task as you will ever have. I'm not suggesting
you don't ask for your pound of flesh. I am only pointing out (poorly I might
add) some of the issues surrounding such a person afflicted.

TBP

Last edited:
I hate to answer a question with a question but why would a child stab another
child? A child's thought process is far different than yours. An AS child is so
far different it is hard for anyone to fathom how different until you have some
experience with them. They live in an entirely different universe than you and I.
Could I see an AS kid doing this? Absolutely! A thought that arises in an AS
person isn't a fleeting thought caused by some incident that occured. In an AS
person that thought will consume them and sometimes the ability to move them
off that spot is as challenging a task as you will ever have. I'm not suggesting
you don't ask for your pound of flesh. I am only pointing out (poorly I might
add) some of the issues surrounding such a person afflicted.

TBP

so you think the disorder had something to do with the 16 year old kid killing his friend?

In my nephew, social awkwardness definitely (but like I said earlier - more of a geeky awkward not a cower in the corner and beg to be left alone awkward), obsessive - yes, violent - never.

Now, if the kid was prone to violence, and got it in his head to kill a classmate, you'd be hard pressed to get him off the topic. But, the violent aspect is the kid's alone, not a symptom of the disease from what I can tell. My nephew definitely knows right from wrong unless it comes to making underarm fart noises in class.

So if he go the violent tendancy from whatever, the disorder may have prevented him from calming down or dwelling on that violent behavior?

But the disorder itself would not have made him violent....

So if this kid that he stabbed smacked him in the face and pissed him off because of th edisorder it would be less likely for this kid to turn the other cheek?

I do have to say also that my nephew fixates on things. Whether it's a tv show, or what have you. If he has just watched a movie like Wallace and Grommet he will fixate on that for awhile. He will tell you the whole movie word for word. Thats after seeing it one time. He will then draw things according to the movie etc. He'll be stuck on that for awhile.

SKS - Not in my nephew's case. He would not engage. But, that's just my experience with one kid.

In my completely non-medical opinion the violence has to be there independently of Aspergers.

So if he go the violent tendancy from whatever, the disorder may have prevented him from calming down or dwelling on that violent behavior?

But the disorder itself would not have made him violent....

So if this kid that he stabbed smacked him in the face and pissed him off because of th edisorder it would be less likely for this kid to turn the other cheek?

As I said I can only go by my nephew. My nephew does have an older brother that does pick on him, but he will do things to irritate his brother, more than he would fight back.

As I said I can only go by my nephew. My nephew does have an older brother that does pick on him, but he will do things to irritate his brother, more than he would fight back.

ok....so basically no defense using the fact that this 16 yr old has this affliction...

The doctor is right and the lawyer is reaching....

as far as the boys go it sounds like every other brother to brother relationship...

SKS - Not in my nephew's case. He would not engage. But, that's just my experience with one kid.

In my completely non-medical opinion the violence has to be there independently of Aspergers.

I think that's what the mom was saying ion the article and the doctor was agreeing with her.

The doctor is right and the lawyer is reaching....

Really? Where?

As in, show us ONE quote by the lawyer asserting AS as a defense.

HINT: Merely stating the simple fact that the kid had a disorder is NOT such an example. [rolleyes]

Really? Where?

As in, show us ONE quote by the lawyer asserting AS as a defense.

HINT: Merely stating the simple fact that the kid had a disorder is NOT such an example. [rolleyes]

Case already has publicity....should be a jury trial...the bug is in everyone's ear. You can see this one coming a mile away.......

The lawyer will turn it so this kid is the victim...happens all the time. Get the jury and the media feeling sorry for this kid and screw the other kid that was stabbed to death by this jerk.

I guess we'll have to wait and see how this plays out then resurect this thread....[hmmm]

I say the kid gets sent to a hospital and is out when he's 18 or 21.

Back
Top Bottom