Asp

http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/269-10.htm

PART IV. CRIMES, PUNISHMENTS AND PROCEEDINGS IN CRIMINAL CASES

TITLE I. CRIMES AND PUNISHMENTS

CHAPTER 269. CRIMES AGAINST PUBLIC PEACE

Chapter 269: Section 10. Carrying dangerous weapons; possession of machine gun or sawed-off shotguns; possession of large capacity weapon or large capacity feeding device; punishment

The provisions of this subsection shall not affect the licensing requirements of section one hundred and twenty-nine C of chapter one hundred and forty which require every person not otherwise duly licensed or exempted to have been issued a firearms identification card in order to possess a firearm, rifle or shotgun in his residence or place of business.

(b) Whoever, except as provided by law, carries on his person, or carries on his person or under his control in a vehicle, any stiletto, dagger or a device or case which enables a knife with a locking blade to be drawn at a locked position, any ballistic knife, or any knife with a detachable blade capable of being propelled by any mechanism, dirk knife, any knife having a double-edged blade, or a switch knife, or any knife having an automatic spring release device by which the blade is released from the handle, having a blade of over one and one-half inches, or a slung shot, blowgun, blackjack, metallic knuckles or knuckles of any substance which could be put to the same use with the same or similar effect as metallic knuckles, nunchaku, zoobow, also known as klackers or kung fu sticks, or any similar weapon consisting of two sticks of wood, plastic or metal connected at one end by a length of rope, chain, wire or leather, a shuriken or any similar pointed starlike object intended to injure a person when thrown, or any armband, made with leather which has metallic spikes, points or studs or any similar device made from any other substance or a cestus or similar material weighted with metal or other substance and worn on the hand, or a manrikigusari or similar length of chain having weighted ends; or whoever, when arrested upon a warrant for an alleged crime, or when arrested while committing a breach or disturbance of the public peace, is armed with or has on his person, or has on his person or under his control in a vehicle, a billy or other dangerous weapon other than those herein mentioned and those mentioned in paragraph (a), shall be punished by imprisonment for not less than two and one-half years nor more than five years in the state prison, or for not less than six months nor more than two and one-half years in a jail or house of correction, except that, if the court finds that the defendant has not been previously convicted of a felony, he may be punished by a fine of not more than fifty dollars or by imprisonment for not more than two and one-half years in a jail or house of correction.

Last edited:
... whoever, when arrested upon a warrant for an alleged crime, or when arrested while committing a breach or disturbance of the public peace, is armed with or has on his person, or has on his person or under his control in a vehicle, a billy or other dangerous weapon other than those herein mentioned ...

While I'd avoid it for the simple reason that most police have the same misunderstanding of this particular law, I still haven't seen any actual law prohibiting it. Most likely scenario: you'll get arrested, then released, then likely be declared unsuitable.

Ken

While I'd avoid it for the simple reason that most police have the same misunderstanding of this particular law, I still haven't seen any actual law prohibiting it. Most likely scenario: you'll get arrested, then released, then likely be declared unsuitable.

Ken

Unsuitable is such a dirty word. [thinking]

I understand most of the reasoning behind the brass knuckles (I miss mine) and the assorted martial arts-type weapons... but why a "billy" (I assume as in "billy club") or other dangerous weapon?

I can't carry my ASP, but I can carry my Louisville Slugger? [thinking]

Driving around with just your Louisville Slugger behind the seat is asking to get arrested. (Think intent.) Throw a mitt and a ball back there with it to be safe.

Ken

That's why I love my 5 D-cell MagLite...

I've got one in my truck, too! [wink]

Same here. I have never had to "use" it, but wouldn't think twice if I had to.

Jeesh. We've been through this before. The D-cell flashlight is only legal in MA if it is a pre-ban, pre 98 model. Also, you must have a class A ALP LTC to carry the D-cell model. Class B LTC holders are restriced to C-cell models. The AA and AAA models are not on the EOPS list, but MAG industries has submitted them to a testing lab. Let's keep our fingers crossed that the AG will relax the restrictions on this equipment soon. The rechargeable model requires an FFL and no, it is not C&R eligible.

Also please note that holders of a Class B license to carry may not carry the light with batteries installed, and must transport it in a locked case to the site of illumination.

Certain models of the Mini-Maglite and the Solitaire are eligible for type 03 C&R holders to purchase, but an FA-10 must be filed.

... whoever, when arrested upon a warrant for an alleged crime, or when arrested while committing a breach or disturbance of the public peace, is armed with or has on his person, or has on his person or under his control in a vehicle, a billy or other dangerous weapon other than those herein mentioned ...

The problem is that playing loud music is disturbing the peace. They can practically make the law up as they go with this one.

LOL, what an amazing thread! [rofl]

I never even considered a 5 D-cell Maglite and it IS lead filled, now that is a dangerous assault weapon!

What a joke this state is, now quickly delete the entire thread before someone from the AG's office sees!

We pulled over some gangbangers the other night and they had a 5 D-cell Mag Light with the end painted Flourescent Orange so we would think it's a TOY! It also had a large capacity battery "clip" and a pocket knife "lug"!!!! EVIL, EVIL, EVIL!

I work for a defense attorney who was representing someone who had used a D-Cell mag light to defend himself against 2 unarmed attackers. The DA was on his ass about using a lead pipe. I personally have one of these.
The Unbreakable Umbrella

Back in the late 1970s when I joined the PD, we all carried 4 or 5 cell Mag-lites. As one officer taught me, if you approach a group with a baton in hand, expect a fight. If you approach with a flashlight, most sheeple think nothing of it . . . meanwhile if you have to defend yourself you have the edge without looking confrontational.

Back
Top Bottom