Asking other parents if they have guns at home

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-34488006

After a number of tragedies involving young children finding guns at home, many parents are checking before they allow their youngsters to go on playdates with friends.

It can be an awkward conversation, as our feature on the subject, outlined. And readers tend to agree. Many responded by telling us their experience.

Here is a selection of their comments.

these are pretty much what you'd expect, but I want to know which of you lives across the street from this guy: [rofl]

My wife and I moved into a new neighbourhood with the neighbours across the street on a private road always inviting our two-year-old to come over and play "anytime" with their two toddlers. The answer to the gun question was "No. Do you?". But, in about one hour of my asking the question, shooting from a firearm was resounding through out the neighbourhood coming from, what sounded like, right out behind a neighbours garage. Time for target practice? This went on for a well over an hour - continuous shooting. We do not have guns but, it sounded to me like at least 500 rounds were shot off. Even if I'm off or exaggerating; it was a lot for a sleepy little neighbourhood on a private road of which gun shots had never been heard before or since. This was one and a half years ago now. I never trusted those neighbours with my little son after that. Richard Lasdoce Gorman Sr, Leicester, Massachusetts

Is this nut French, Canadian or English? Obviously not a native and is importing his countries opinions.

BBC News site. Of course they're going to spell these words wrong ;)

- - - Updated - - -

My wife has had the courage to ask before play dates on several occasions; once receiving the answer that all guns, used for hunting, were secure in a safe. This is a very difficult question for us to ask: We are appalled by this side-arm, assault-rifle culture. Our doctor has encouraged us to ask the question, and we agree that it is important, but it is like asking if a sexual predator lives in the house. Raymond Hogan, Portland, Oregon
Pussy

"After a number of tragedies involving young children finding guns at home, many parents are checking before they allow their youngsters to go on playdates with friends."

Huh? What??????

Thank goodness I don't have children...
Is there anyone left in this world that has both children and common sense or does having children cause one to lose all independent thinking?

our home has been a revolving door of kids coming over for playdates and to hang out. We've been asked a few times, each and every time as we got to know the parents, 100% of the time they were full on moonbats

I don't have a problem with any parent asking before letting their kid come over. But when my kid goes somewhere, my questions will be "what kind of snacks are you going to give my kid, do you have a cat, because cats are a-holes, do you have insurance, because you're going to probably need it, do you have air freshener in your bathroom, because you're probably going to need it, and do you have guns in the house? Or do you need to borrow some of mine?"

I can imagine how well that conversation would go where I grew up. I honestly cannot think of a single person who *didn't* own guns. "Do you have any guns in the house?" "Hell, yeah.....a lot of em...why?"

"After a number of tragedies involving young children finding guns at home, many parents are checking before they allow their youngsters to go on playdates with friends."

Huh? What??????

Yeah, I'm with you on this. Again they are making up this BS....

Thankfully, our kids are grown and on their own as the oldest just hit 40 (can't believe that). Our house was the 'go to' house when they were growing up with all their friends and there were many times when we'd go to the range when they had nothing else to do. I would have them call their parents, one at a time, and get verbal permission to take them and never had a refusal. We went with maybe 10 of them. They were all in their early teens, of course, and their comportment was always perfect. I spent a lot on ammo for them all but I hope that maybe I provided them enough experience so they could make the right decisions later on as they became parents. I've met some of them now that they are adults themselves and they always remember those experiences.

Rome

I have been asked before and it really didn't bother me. We really didn't know the women very well and when she dropped the kid off she told us that the kid was allergic to nuts, cats, dust and was a vegetarian. This kid was 9 and that was 15 years ago. The kid is now 24 and a lesbian junkie.... with 3 cats.

If I was asking the question is would be kind of along these lines.

Do you have guns in the house and if so what kind of safe or lock box are they stored in?
Do your kids know gun safety? Can they be trusted around firearms or are they idiots?

My wife and I moved into a new neighbourhood with the neighbours across the street on a private road always inviting our two-year-old to come over and play "anytime" with their two toddlers. The answer to the gun question was "No. Do you?". But, in about one hour of my asking the question, shooting from a firearm was resounding through out the neighbourhood coming from, what sounded like, right out behind a neighbours garage. Time for target practice? This went on for a well over an hour - continuous shooting. We do not have guns but, it sounded to me like at least 500 rounds were shot off. Even if I'm off or exaggerating; it was a lot for a sleepy little neighbourhood on a private road of which gun shots had never been heard before or since. This was one and a half years ago now. I never trusted those neighbours with my little son after that. Richard Lasdoce Gorman Sr, Leicester, Massachusetts
If he moved in one and a half years ago, how does he no the gun shots had never been heard there before?

It also seems from google maps that 59 Burncoat Ln (the home purchased by Richard L. Gorman Sr on 5/24/13) in Leicester and the house across the street are within 500 feet of each other. I wonder if he called Chief Hurley's finest.

I have been asked before and it really didn't bother me. We really didn't know the women very well and when she dropped the kid off she told us that the kid was allergic to nuts, cats, dust and was a vegetarian. This kid was 9 and that was 15 years ago. The kid is now 24 and a lesbian junkie.... with 3 cats.

Guess she really was allergic to nuts.

Yeesh. at what point do you say "I can't take responsibility for all your kid's issues, maybe you should hire a 24 hour nurse just in case"...?

We don't let our kids play at anyone's house who doesn't own guns. I explain to people that it is a matter of the safety of my kids. If some perv drives up with a rape van and a puppy, I want those parents to be able to shoot the ****er. If you don't have guns, I don't trust you to be able to keep my kids safe.

Now granted, with the percentage of moonbats in ma, we have few friends. Quality over quantity. And I don't want my kids to catch monnbattery. It can be quite contagious if not treated properly.

I know one regular NES contributor who was hospitalized for something like 8 days because his cat scratched him. And no, he does not own a tiger or lion.

I had cat scratch fever when I was in high school. Armpit swelled to the size of a baseball. I used to ask the teachers if I could go to the bathroom and change my pad. Good times.

I went through this crazy sh!t 20 years ago when my kids were young. If they asked I'd show them my fridge sized safe and then ask them where they store their knives and household chemicals

I had cat scratch fever when I was in high school. Armpit swelled to the size of a baseball. I used to ask the teachers if I could go to the bathroom and change my pad. Good times.

Sorry Had to I can't pass this one up.LOL

Dean

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't have a problem with any parent asking before letting their kid come over. But when my kid goes somewhere, my questions will be "what kind of snacks are you going to give my kid, do you have a cat, because cats are a-holes, do you have insurance, because you're going to probably need it, do you have air freshener in your bathroom, because you're probably going to need it, and do you have guns in the house? Or do you need to borrow some of mine?"

I thought this was the absolutely funniest line in the thread. And then I read this...

Guess she really was allergic to nuts.

When my kids were kids we always made sure we met the parents and saw their house before letting our kids go there. You can tell a lot about most people with a 5 minute conversation and seeing how the house is kept. Most of my kids friends were in W Boylston and it has really become Moonbat land over the last 30 years. The funny thing was that most of the parents would not let their kids come to our house because we live in Worcester. I swear a lot of people from that town have never been outside it borders

From the article---
If you see a gun, what do you do? Stop. Don't touch it. Go and tell a grown up. Olivia Davis, Carboro, North Carolina

My son would answer... "Keep the firearm pointed in a safe direction with your finger off the trigger, drop the magazine, rack the slide and lock it back making sure the chamber is empty. Disassemble, clean and lubricate and let Johnny's daddy know his gun is all set." If it is a Ruger, tell Johnny's daddy that you can't come back cuz your dad won't let you hang with kids that shoot crappy guns.

Back
Top Bottom