Ash Vacuum

BlackwaterFence

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Got ours from the Store selling pellet stoves. We can clean hot or cold, but keep it safe outside anyway. I heard you can get a hepa filter for a common shop vac but haven't tried it myself

Prepper

NES Member
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I use a shop vac, but whatever you do replace the garbage filter it comes with with a real one, and use a bag. If you don't, the exhaust will blow ashes out the other side and cover your whole room.

And that is the story of how I learned to upgrade the filter in my shop vac.

xjma99

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a ridgid ash vac for my pellet stove. It works great. A little bit of work to clean the filter but can usually get 3-4 cleans before a full filter clean. It’s a canister type vs the bag type filter. Both work, not sure what the plus/minuses are, but I bought what they had when I needed one.
Not sure why you would need an ash vac for a fireplace.....I would think that a metal shovel and pail would do just fine. I rarely vac out my wood stove, just shovel it out, it don’t need to be pretty.
If you have a regular fireplace, you should put either a wood or pellet stove in it so that it can actually make some heat for you.

mwalsh9152

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I'm going to second the suggestion of just using a shovel and a metal can for a fireplace. Just be slow and methodical with your actions to keep the dust down.

Also, be careful where you put the ashes. Coals can still be hot for days. I've heard numerous stories of people putting a bag of ashes on their porch thinking there wernt any hot coals and end up burning the house down. Mine all go in the fire pit, or in the seasonal brook behind my house if its wet.

Asaltweapon

NES Member
Rating - 100%
45   0   0
I bought one a few years ago. It sucked. It really did. Very loud. Not cheap.
I use a shovel and galvanized pail. In the spring I put an old POS shop vac on the porch and use a long hose for final cleaning.

dans

NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I use the same one as diggs. I like it. I bought the longer hose. The one that comes with it is a little short for cleaning my Big Green Eggs.

VetteGirlMA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a vacuum that I use for my fireplace insert and pellet stove and it has worked great. The hose is made of rubber with a steel sleeve insert so it's not very flexible but the whole set up is designed to work on coals that are sometimes still a little hot. I oftentimes find some smoldering ash in the wood stove after a long burning cycle and trying to wait for the ashes to burn out sucks when it's very cold out. Hence I have a vacuum that can handle it. I think I paid somewhere around $100 for it at my local fireplace shop.

Spanz

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a vacuum that I use for my fireplace insert and pellet stove and it has worked great. The hose is made of rubber with a steel sleeve insert so it's not very flexible but the whole set up is designed to work on coals that are sometimes still a little hot. I oftentimes find some smoldering ash in the wood stove after a long burning cycle and trying to wait for the ashes to burn out sucks when it's very cold out. Hence I have a vacuum that can handle it. I think I paid somewhere around $100 for it at my local fireplace shop.b
i remember a story of a fire started 3 days later when an ember surrounded by ash lit up a house.
You would need to wet, mix it up, wet again...over and over to be sure.

FrankNA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I've been burning wood for 10+ years and only need to clean out the ash about once a week or so. The coals are great for rekindling the morning reload and end up burning down to a fine ash. Hot or warm coals really should be shoveled into a steel ash can and placed outside on a non-flammable surface like a stone tile, concrete, etc... Anybody remember the guy in Connecticut about 5 -8 years ago or so who cleaned the coals out of the fireplace and left them outside on the wood porch. Burnt the whole house down and killed himself, 3 or 4 kids and their mother. He thought he was doing the right thing by removing the hot coals from the fireplace before they all went to bed. Ash vacuums are for fine ash only not hot/warm coals - ask any chimney sweep.

greencobra

NES Member
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
my buddy got a wet/dry vac at a yard sale for 8 bucks 3-4 years ago just to try it for cleaning the fireplace. on of those big ones on wheels, think craftsman. you could try that route but not too many yard sales this time of year. oh, he said it works fantastic.

Uzi2

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Been burning wood as primary heat for 23 years, never once vacuumed ashes from either a stove or fireplace.

If you must, Make sure there has been no fire for a week, stir the ash to make sure no hidden coals, get a shovel as pictured above and shovel the ashes out. Then place the bucket outside IMMEDIATELY.......away from the house( in the middle of the yard) as a precaution....its a good habit to form and you'll not burn your house down.

I leave a two inch ash bed in the bottom of the stove as it helps insulate the heat from the bottom fire bricks.

Think about how many stoves and fireplaces that burned before vacuums were invented......nobody ever vaccumed them and there's no logical reason to do so now.

Been to many house fires over the years, started on porches from idiots placing hot ash buckets there. Don't do it.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Looks like a number of recommendations for Powersmith. Thanks for the information.

Its a fireplace in a rented apartment. Simply trying to clean out old ash from the handful of times the fireplace was used last year and then keep on hand for the handful of times it will be used this year.

Top Bottom