• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Asbestos removal cost

You can do it yourself a little at a time. Small bags all taped up and put in trash. Do it over time. This was what a contractortold me and I got rid of a few barrels full of 9" floor tiles. The key is sealing it really well. Not illegal from what I was told by others. YMMV.
Yeah don't do this.

Years ago I showed up to a job. House had asbestos wrapping around heat pipes. Homeowner opened the wall and apparently it was brittle and falling down the wall. I walked in as he was firing up his shop vac to suck it up. I may entitled to compensation.
Needless to say I ran outta there .

Landfills, that I'm aware of, need to know ahead of time for friable asbestos disposal. They take precautions such as digging a hole in the rubish and burying deep. Sometime wetting the waste. And, personell nearby will wear respirators.
This. You can't just throw asbestos containing products in the trash. I don't know of any regular solid waste landfills accepting asbestos. They must be landfills that are permitted to accept "special waste" which includes asbestos.

That would be good to do but I don't know how to get rid of it.
And here lies one of the problems - disposal. Sure you can call a "friend" to dispose of it for you and hope you or they don't get caught. Where are they bringing it?? Are they following the specific packaging and handling and transportation requirements for asbestos?...

Years ago I showed up to a job. House had asbestos wrapping around heat pipes. Homeowner opened the wall and apparently it was brittle and falling down the wall. I walked in as he was firing up his shop vac to suck it up. I may entitled to compensation.
Needless to say I ran outta there .
They have special bags and HEPA filters for asbestos. I work on sites having abatement done on a the regular. Most of the time they put the plastic up and signs and the guys on the abatement side have little to no PPE on and are just ripping it out 😂 at least on the bigger jobs. One job they “accidentally” knocked the whole building down at lunch time before the abatement was even done.

They have special bags and HEPA filters for asbestos. I work on sites having abatement done on a the regular. Most of the time they put the plastic up and signs and the guys on the abatement side have little to no PPE on and are just ripping it out 😂 at least on the bigger jobs. One job they “accidentally” knocked the whole building down at lunch time before the abatement was even done.
This guy did not have a special bag. He wasn't even wearing a mask

Asbestos can only be legally dumped in specific special waste landfills. From the looks of it, there are only 3 around MA. 1 in MA, 1 in NH and 1 in CT.
Yep. None in MA. Not sure which one is left in CT?

If you cant see asbestos on a boiler it's nearly 100% chance it doesn't have any, asbestos was used as insulation, therefore it's going to be almost completely wrapped with it.
Not always. It can be in the rope packings inside sandwich between metal parts.

It was known as the miracle mineral! lol

What's funny is it actually is. We banned a substance over less than 15k deaths per year when you can literally just train people how to use/remove it properly and find better binders.

Banning asbestos is just like banning DDT. It was a needless knee jerk reaction

Back
Top Bottom