As heard at the gun store

UPDATE NOV 24: http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...he-gun-store?p=3574347&viewfull=1#post3574347

I love to visit gun stores for the shopping of course and all the interesting people I meet. So traveling recently in the midwest I ran across these folks:

Owner: (talking all sorts of smack about everything pistols)
Me: I have a Sig 226 in 9 mm--I really like it
Owner: Are you in law enforcement
Me: no
Owner: because that's a cops' gun
Me: [speechless]
Owner: cops carry that

Store #2:

Me: Can I see this AR (after talking about all sorts of things with the guy and telling him I'm from Mass.)
Employee #1: OK
Employee #2 interjects: We can't legally sell you anything therefore we can't legally show you anything
Me: I thought I could buy long arms but not handguns unless there's some state law that forbids it. I'd have it shipped to an FFL if necessary
Employee #2: I could only sell you long arms if your state touches my state
Employee #3: There are two exceptions, if you have a valid hunting license or [long thoughtful pause] you are in a shooting competition
Employee #2: [in a Mafioso like voice] show it to him

and honorable mention:

Cabela's sign that reads "please take a number". They actually have a deli-like take-a-number system.

Last edited:
My favorite gun store is Blue Northern in Ayer. One of the many reasons why it's my favorite store is that sometimes when you ask one of the guys - either Bill, Ron, Tom, Billy, or Dave- a question, they'll say, "I don't know". Followed up by, "I'll find out for you."

Imagine that? People at a gun store that actually won't knowingly give you bad advice.

"I don't know". Followed up by, "I'll find out for you."

One of the best responses someone in a service type job can give you. If only I could get the waitresses at work to do this......

Here's one...

Me: That's a cool preban AR.

Employee: Yup, you can only use preban mags in a preban rifle.

Me: Really? So, I can't use my preban 30 round mags in a postban AR?

Employee: Nope

Cabela's sign that reads "please take a number". They actually have a deli-like take-a-number system.

I wish Four Seasons did this on Saturdays. There isn't really anywhere for a line to form, and then I could browse accessories while I waited.

Jim, that's certainly a rare find. I bought some components at Blue Northern and had a good experience. Nice shop with nice people.

My favorite gun store is Blue Northern in Ayer. One of the many reasons why it's my favorite store is that sometimes when you ask one of the guys - either Bill, Ron, Tom, Billy, or Dave- a question, they'll say, "I don't know". Followed up by, "I'll find out for you."

Imagine that? People at a gun store that actually won't knowingly give you bad advice.
I asked them about Saiga-12s and they looked at me like I was a communist or something. "What is that, never heard of it." It's an AK-shotgun pretty much. "Nope, never seen one of those."

Both of these people were adult male customers at a very large retailer.

Customer #1: loading cases of shotgun shells into a cart. (A whole lot of them.)

Customer #2: looks at cart. Looks at customer #1. Looks at cart, which is now groaning under the load with more getting piled on. "Will you adopt me?"

(I was neither of these people, but I thought it was really funny.)

Both of these people were adult male customers at a very large retailer.

Customer #1: loading cases of shotgun shells into a cart. (A whole lot of them.)

Customer #2: looks at cart. Looks at customer #1. Looks at cart, which is now groaning under the load with more getting piled on. "Will you adopt me?"

(I was neither of these people, but I thought it was really funny.)

Fair odds they are both members here! lol!

"Cabela's sign that reads "please take a number". They actually have a deli-like take-a-number system."

I like this system as it prevents the gun shop guys from just helping their buddies and ignoring everyone else. I find that too often at many shops.

I've never had a problem at a gun store... my last conversation was something like this....

Me: "Oh but it's in .45 and $550; I wanted .40"
Employee: "Well I could erase the 5."
Me: "In the price? (big smile)"
Employee: "One second" (goes away for a moment and comes back) "$495?"
Me: "Deal."

The two major gun stores I frequent here are both very customer oriented. Their orientation is different, which is good because I get that variety of experience. In either case, I enjoy them both for different reasons.

One of the best responses someone in a service type job can give you. If only I could get the waitresses at work to do this......

Feel the same.

I was in Pete's Gun Shop in Adams, MA a couple weeks ago, and asked if they stocked Pow'rball ammo ('cause I know for a fact that my P6 feeds it well). The young gentleman working the counter hadn't heard of it, nor had the older fellow that processed my transfer, but they both offered to find out where to get it, how much it would be, and when they could have it in store, there on the spot. They were starting to get a little busy and I needed to get home, so I declined the offer, but it was great to see them willing to go out of their way! +1 for Pete's. :)

That place is great. If I'm not mistaken, they had a giant bear in the shop....pretty cool.

Last edited:
My last quick trip to the local gun store (you can guess which one if you like):

Me: Hi Ray, do you have any clays in?

Ray: No, sorry, won't get my shipment until Tuesday.

Me: Ok, thanks, see you later.

Ray: Wait... are you a member at Riverside?

Me: (thinking I'm going to be let in on a secret) yeah...?

Ray: Ok, what you do is... go over to the trap field, and if there's nobody there,
sometimes the clays don't break and you can pick up the ones that are still good!

Ray: Yeah, it's a great way to get free clays!

Me: Um... yeah... good idea. I'll see you later, Ray.

My last quick trip to the local gun store (you can guess which one if you like):

Ray: Ok, what you do is... go over to the trap field, and if there's nobody there,
sometimes the clays don't break and you can pick up the ones that are still good!

I thought you were going to say he pulled out a special case he had for Riverside members...

Ray: Ok, what you do is... go over to the trap field, and if there's nobody there, sometimes the clays don't break and you can pick up the ones that are still good!

I would just send you down the street to the Walmart on rt85 to buy some clays.

Employee #2: I could only sell you long arms if your state touches my state

i think he was hitting on you. [laugh]

...if your state touches my state followed by: how about you touch me instead [rofl]

A few months ago at collectors in Stoneham:

Me: I need a holster for a 442, got any on the wall there?
Employee: I can show you these, but first you might want to check and see if we have any in our clearance bucket
Me (after finding a perfect holster in the bucket for $5): Got one! Thanks!
Employee: Damn it... I just talked myself out of a $40 sale, didn't I?

*Sigh* I really think that Ray is losing it. I haven't been there in months. I tend to go to the competition in Marlborough - and yes, Richie stocks clays last time I was there. Hmm... think I'll drop in on him tonight; he should be open til 6:30 or so, IIRC.

A few months ago at collectors in Stoneham:

Me: I need a holster for a 442, got any on the wall there?
Employee: I can show you these, but first you might want to check and see if we have any in our clearance bucket
Me (after finding a perfect holster in the bucket for $5): Got one! Thanks!
Employee: Damn it... I just talked myself out of a $40 sale, didn't I?
Maybe he did, but you're going to remember that and go back, aren't you? Not to mention that you just told the world that they think of the customer first. You can't buy that kind of advertising for $35!!

A guy walked in to the gun store while I was looking at new revolvers..

He says to the owner, I bought this new S&W revolver last week from you for $600 and havn't even fired it yet and now the wife says I have to get it out of the house. So what will you give me for it?

Gun shop owner, I'll give you a $100 and I don't really want it.

The guy took the $100..

I walked out. I know they have to make a profit but some thing about that little exchange made me look at that gun shop a little differently..

I found out a couple of days later that, He was a friend of mine's brother inlaw from Norwood. He was steamed and he was on a mission to tell every one he knew about how his brother inlaw got screwed.

He might have made some money on that gun but in the long run it cost him some customers.

He was steamed and he was on a mission to tell every one he knew about how his brother inlaw got screwed.

How did the guy get screwed? The gun store didn't want the gun and gave the guy what is known as a "f*** off" quote. The guy didn't have to take it; there are other gun stores around. The guy was mad because he'd made a bad purchase and wanted the gun store to get him out of his own bad decision. Not the gun store's responsibility. It would certainly have been nice of the store to take it back, and a store like that is to be commended. But to say they 'screwed' the guy is just weird.

I think the best I've ever heard was here in Plymouth at M&Ms/Plymouth Bay Outfitters....however it was NOT an employee.

I was browsing closeby as a customer was looking at a couple of pistols on top of one of the pistol cases. He said something to the effect of, "Yeah I've been thinking of buying a p239. They give these to the State Troopers but they don't have any serial numbers on them so they can plant or drop them."

Back
Top Bottom