As heard at the gun store

Clerk 2: It's not our store, we just work here, but we're instructors, we teach people the requirements, so we know
Me: if you're instructors you should know

http://www.mass.gov/eopss/firearms-reg-and-laws/frb/frequently-asked-questions.html

This does not surprise me at all. Last fall my best friend took the hunter's safety course and the instructor told him how it was a felony to own a post ban Glock in MA. Sad thing is my friend is not really a gun guy and he believed him until recently.

not a fan of blue northern! went in their while i was working and asked for a magazine for a 17hmr and they bagged it! i got home and the mag they gave me was for a 17 mach2! and i couldn't return it because i lost the receipt! and their prices are on the very high side!

I've never been there before but I'm sure this is a low volume store in the middle of nowhere (in regard to gun stores), so I don't blame them for high mark ups, but I wouldn't cast down a shop because they didn't return you something when you lost the receipt.

bought a used pistol and it comes with a cheap plastic trigger lock. As the clerk is boxing it up I ask if he minds not installing it since I don't want it scratching the frame.

Clerk 1: well it's store policy they stay on until you leave, then you can take it off
Me: okay
Clerk 2: are you going to carry it home?
Me: no, I'll just put it in my trunk (this was my mistake--should have just ignored him! It's at this point Clerk 1 exits the scene, now I know why!)
Clerk 2: a trunk does NOT meet Mass law, you need to have it locked
Me: I'm pretty sure a locked trunk is fine (I know it's fine but I'm trying to be polite)
Clerk 3: NO, a trunk does not meet Mass law and neither does a glove box... [the two clerks rant on about Mass law and how cops will arrest you for anything, etc., etc.]
Me: well, okay it's your store
Clerk 2: It's not our store, we just work here, but we're instructors, we teach people the requirements, so we know
Me: if you're instructors you should know
Clerk 2: right. we. do.
Me: okay, but just remember you can use a trigger lock for storage but never for transport in Mass

for the record, a glove box shouldn't be used for transport but a locked trunk is fine:

http://www.mass.gov/eopss/firearms-reg-and-laws/frb/frequently-asked-questions.html

This does not surprise me at all. Last fall my best friend took the hunter's safety course and the instructor told him how it was a felony to own a post ban Glock in MA. Sad thing is my friend is not really a gun guy and he believed him until recently.

Why do you think that I created and teach the MA Gun Law Seminar?

I got sick and tired of listening to tripe like this spewed as "law" to the unsuspecting. It was time to teach the true information.

Also see post #13 here where I stated that not everyone should be an instructor. People like the above examples SHOULD have their credentials stripped from them! [angry]

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...uctor-course?p=3584362&viewfull=1#post3584362

I've never been there before but I'm sure this is a low volume store in the middle of nowhere (in regard to gun stores), so I don't blame them for high mark ups, but I wouldn't cast down a shop because they didn't return you something when you lost the receipt.
the fact they didn't know the difference between a 17hmr and a 17 mach2 says alot! i wouldn't need a receipt if i got the right product to begin with! don't get me wrong i'm not bashing them. they are very nice people. and yes i lost my receipt (my bad). just saying be aware when you buy something their! i should have know better and looked in the bag before i left! but i was in a rush due to work! and they are very pricey. not due to location either. they are in a high traffic rte 2a location!

Last edited:
the fact they didn't know the difference between a 17hmr and a 17 mach2 says alot! i wouldn't need a receipt if i got the right product to begin with! don't get me wrong i'm not bashing them. they are very nice people. and yes i lost my receipt. just saying be aware when you buy something their! i should have know better and looked in the bag before i left! but i was in a rush due to work! and they are very pricey. not due to location either. they are in a high traffic rte 2a location!

17hmr and 17 mach2 are close enough for someone to make a mistake. Seriously don't be an *******. No affiliation to BN in Ayer but badmouthing a shop over an uncommon caliber mag purchase is obscene. I don't even want to know what you ran into buying your first couch.

Here's one...

Me: That's a cool preban AR.

Employee: Yup, you can only use preban mags in a preban rifle.

Me: Really? So, I can't use my preban 30 round mags in a postban AR?

Employee: Nope

And don't forget that you can't use new ammo in a pre ban gun. It has to be surplus.

the fact they didn't know the difference between a 17hmr and a 17 mach2 says alot! i wouldn't need a receipt if i got the right product to begin with! don't get me wrong i'm not bashing them. they are very nice people. and yes i lost my receipt (my bad). just saying be aware when you buy something their! i should have know better and looked in the bag before i left! but i was in a rush due to work! and they are very pricey. not due to location either. they are in a high traffic rte 2a location!

You didn't look at what you bought and it's THEIR fault? So if you got a ticket for driving 60 in a school zone because you didn't "see" the speed limit sign it'd be the cops fault?

I go to Blue Northern frequently, so far I've purchased one gun there, plan on another soon. Their lot MAY hold 6 cars, 7 if they're small. And calling 2a a high-volume road is like calling "Mumbles" coherent; a gross exaggeration at best.

I walked into a gun shop in FL about 5 years ago. Asked to see a pistol, and handed him my MA LTC. He said "what's this?" When he read it, he ran to the back of the shop yelling "Hey boys, You'll never guess what I'm holding! An ACTUAL MA Gun Licence!!!!" I guess they thought it a hoax!!

I walked into a gun shop in FL about 5 years ago. Asked to see a pistol, and handed him my MA LTC. He said "what's this?" When he read it, he ran to the back of the shop yelling "Hey boys, You'll never guess what I'm holding! An ACTUAL MA Gun Licence!!!!" I guess they thought it a hoax!!

and a little bit of your soul probably died hahaha

and a new one:

Young guy: I'd like to sell this [Gen 4 Glock]; don't use it for work anymore
Store clerk: We can't sell that so the most we can give you is $300 but you could sell it to a friend for more.
Young guy: I want to sell it today
Me: [eyeing the pistols in the case like a man with cash in his pocket] [wave]
Store clerk: [looking at me and pointing across the room] Sir, that guy over there can help you

yes, he left it there for short money

I actually had a situation like this work out GREAT for me. I was at my local shop asking the owner if he'd be interested in selling a gun for me on consignment. He said no, not really since he already had a couple on consignment in his case. Then, he noticed another one of his regulars looking curiously at the box I had on the counter and said, "I don't want it, but I think he does. You're both good customers, maybe you two can work something out, you can use my computer and do an efa10 if you want.". I left the shop with a pocket full of cash, the other guy walked out with a killer deal on a gun he wanted and the shop owner won more of my loyalty as a customer.

I have to ask if you actually tried to exchange it even without the receipt? My experience with BN, while limited, makes me believe that they would make the exchange.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

[laugh2] the magazines are about as close as and ar-15 and a ak47's are!
That may be, but they are not popular calibers the way say a .223 is. I'm surprised that they couldn't help you out. Did you talk to Bill or Ronnie? I'm guessing too, that you paid cash. I've seen them go the extra mile for customers far too many times in the decades I've done business with them. They are not perfect, but they are fair minded guys, and I would say too, that the attitude of the customer is also a factor. Not having a receipt is your bad. I tend to be a bit cavalier myself when it comes to receipts, so I feel your pain. I have to ask: if the mags are so different, why is it YOU didn't notice? Just askin' [wink]

Last edited:
I was at a gun store recently where the clerk said if you get into a self-defense usage situation in Massachusetts, you'll essentially be deemed automatically guilty if you happen to use a "post ban" handgun.

I was at a gun store recently where the clerk said if you get into a self-defense usage situation in Massachusetts, you'll essentially be deemed automatically guilty if you happen to use a "post ban" handgun.

We're doomed. If zombies ever attacked Mass, they'd starve to death.

I have to ask if you actually tried to exchange it even without the receipt? My experience with BN, while limited, makes me believe that they would make the exchange.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

I'm really surprised that they wouldn't take it back. It's not like the shop is so busy that they wouldn't remember you a few days later. I have bought only two guns from there a couple years ago. After about a year if not being in there the guys remembered me and asked me how I liked the AR I bought.

BN and stateline are the friendliest shops around in my experience.

i don't go up north much. it would have cost me as much in gas as the mag was worth unless i was already going by their for something else! like i said they seem to be very nice people. I've bought misc stuff from them before! maybe it was a fluke! maybe they would do something about it if i went up there i don't know! it just shocked me! i'd expect that at dicks, not at a gun store you know?! but again no big deal ****happens! doesn't mean i won't go their again if the time arises! i just won't rush out the door without looking in the bag next time[laugh]

I have to ask: if the mags are so different, why is it YOU didn't notice? Just askin' [wink]

because i was working and in a rush! so i took it for granted! i mean they are gun guys not dsg you know. so when they put it in the bag and charged me i ran out the door to continue on with my job! again, my stupidity i guess! i shouldn't take anything for granted. we've all made mistakes!

no. it wasn't worth it! and i had no receipt! so there is/was no guarantee they would take it back! and i wouldn't blame them! i'm not one for wasting time an gas for nothing!

Before calling anyone out in public, you really should have called them at least (since it was a long drive), explain the situation and see what they offer to do. Pretty cheap to throw it in the Mail if they agree and have them Mail you back the right item.

It's pretty gauche to blame someone for something based strictly on assumptions (they won't do anything since you don't have the receipt), so you did nothing other than trash them on the Internet. [thinking] Also your failure to keep the receipt at least until you got home and checked the goods is strictly on you.

BN is a very long way from my travels too and I've only been there twice, bought a handgun each time. They were very nice and helpful and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them to anyone.

Being human means we all make mistakes at times. Even after trashing them, if you call them you might get a positive result. Otherwise carry on carrying on! [rolleyes]

Before calling anyone out in public, you really should have called them at least (since it was a long drive), explain the situation and see what they offer to do. Pretty cheap to throw it in the Mail if they agree and have them Mail you back the right item.

It's pretty gauche to blame someone for something based strictly on assumptions (they won't do anything since you don't have the receipt), so you did nothing other than trash them on the Internet. [thinking] Also your failure to keep the receipt at least until you got home and checked the goods is strictly on you.

BN is a very long way from my travels too and I've only been there twice, bought a handgun each time. They were very nice and helpful and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them to anyone.

Being human means we all make mistakes at times. Even after trashing them, if you call them you might get a positive result. Otherwise carry on carrying on! [rolleyes]
I also agree......if you call them I bet they would make it right......Bn has good folks there.

In their defense, in MA, you're probably doomed if you use a pre-ban one too :(

i don't go up north much. it would have cost me as much in gas as the mag was worth unless i was already going by their for something else! like i said they seem to be very nice people. I've bought misc stuff from them before! maybe it was a fluke! maybe they would do something about it if i went up there i don't know! it just shocked me! i'd expect that at dicks, not at a gun store you know?! but again no big deal ****happens! doesn't mean i won't go their again if the time arises! i just won't rush out the door without looking in the bag next time[laugh]

Cost you in gas as much as the mag is worth? How far you driving? You made a point to say how expensive it was in the first place.

- - - Updated - - -

because i was working and in a rush! so i took it for granted! i mean they are gun guys not dsg you know. so when they put it in the bag and charged me i ran out the door to continue on with my job! again, my stupidity i guess! i shouldn't take anything for granted. we've all made mistakes!

what is dsg?

Back
Top Bottom