As Close as it Comes for a Canine

While turkey hunting this morning before work, I was set up just off a trail in the woods. With thundering footsteps heading my way, I was expecting to see a deer or two run past.

Instead it was two Rotweilers running free (against the law in Maine). When they smelled my foot prints, they slid to a quick stop, began growling and circling. Then they spotted me.

They continued growling and started circling me this time. I figured my bolt action 20ga with bird shot would only deter one before I could squeeze off two, so I unholstered pocket pistol (first time ever!), a Titan .25 with eight shots ready and assessed the situation.

When they came together on the path again, now only ten yards away, I lunged at them and they fled.

As close as it comes for a Canine.

chances to mix up rottweiler chilli: 2
rottweiler chilli made: 0

it's good you weren't harmed and that you didn't have to harm the dogs though. were you anywhere near a home that the dogs could have belonged to? i doubt their owner(s) would have been receptive to any suggestions though if they already don't care and just let the dogs run wild.

Better chance with the shotgun, I agree. At short ranges, birdshot might as well be a slug.

You may want to consider a real caliber handgun

I will agree that the birdshot at 30 feet wouldn't have spread much and done some serious damage. I doubt if you had shot one the other would have wanted to mess around. Seeing his buddy drop would have sent him running. It's a good thing you didn't have to go that route though. I have shot a dog before, and a Rotti at that, still feel bad to this day even though he bit me first.

I had no desire to kill a dog. Unfortunately, living in rural Maine, there are far too many opportunities to do just that. Some possibly loving, but uncaring and irresponsible dog owners let their animals run freely. I know many hunters who would just pull the trigger and walk away. Not myself. It's sad, for the dogs that is and some family members such as children who have no say in how their beloved pet is kept. These two were seemingly close to the edge.

For both the birdshot suggestions, and the .25 caliber remarks, I would have to respectfully disagree. Everyone is entitled to their opinions. I apologize for getting the chronology backwards in the first post. I should have stated, "I assessed the situation and then unholstered my pistol".... in the split second that the dog to my left spotted me.

For those unfamiliar with me, I carry a 20 ga. instead of a 12 ga because an injury to my sternum several years back makes it impossible to shoulder anything larger. I am a lifetime hunter with almost 40 years in the Maine woods. Birdshot does not always deter a bird at 30 feet, let alone a sixty pound Rottie.

As soon as one spotted me, the pistol was drawn. Eight semi-auto shots instead of one, bolt-up, bolt-back, bolt-forward, bolt-down (2-3 seconds I might not have), and only three chances overall. The 67 FPE for those who want, can volunteer to take one or two from an obliging friend (I won't threaten you!), and see if you still think it's an anemic round. Nine to twelve inches of penetration from a 50g projectile in flesh is convincing enough to keep me form wanting to be on the receiving end. I shoot a handgun that I can control and put on target rapidly and faithfully, including my .22's ,380's, 9mm's and .357mag. Today I happened to pocket my work pistol that does not print like my Bersa Thunder, Ruger or Dan Wesson. I have to work with customers in public.

Again, to respectfully disagree with the naysayers because I do not know your circumstances, preferences or real life limitations, I have to say that two dogs lived today by retreating in a heat of the moment occurence. I would have lived today either way.

I would just like to make it clear that I believe you did the right thing in not firing, as the dogs left you alone. I don't want people to think I am cruel and just shoot any dog I see loose. I am glad all three of you walked away unharmed. I also believe that the .25 auto would deter a Rotti just fine. A .22lr would scare a dog off, I have seen it, just shooting it in the air works fine.

Thank you, Kenny. I appreciate that you have posted your actual experience in a situation similar to mine. Your regret is evident, and if all I had was the shottie, bird shot would have regretfully been the round of choice as well.

While turkey hunting this morning before work, I was set up just off a trail in the woods. With thundering footsteps heading my way, I was expecting to see a deer or two run past.

Instead it was two Rotweilers running free (against the law in Maine). When they smelled my foot prints, they slid to a quick stop, began growling and circling. Then they spotted me.

They continued growling and started circling me this time. I figured my bolt action 20ga with bird shot would only deter one before I could squeeze off two, so I unholstered pocket pistol (first time ever!), a Titan .25 with eight shots ready and assessed the situation.

When they came together on the path again, now only ten yards away, I lunged at them and they fled.

As close as it comes for a Canine.

I think you did the right thing, but I’d have no problem if you felt you needed to shoot a dog that was threatening you.

Respectfully,
jkelly

Please don't take my reply the wrong way. I'm glad you didn't have to shoot the dogs and also that you are safe. But I've seen pissed off Rotti's and if they really, reallywant a piece of you, I would never bet my life on a .25 .....that's all. I've seen a Rotti take a 24 oz. Estwing framing hammer in the mellon full swing and get right back up for more.
I had no desire to kill a dog. Unfortunately, living in rural Maine, there are far too many opportunities to do just that. Some possibly loving, but uncaring and irresponsible dog owners let their animals run freely. I know many hunters who would just pull the trigger and walk away. Not myself. It's sad, for the dogs that is and some family members such as children who have no say in how their beloved pet is kept. These two were seemingly close to the edge.

For both the birdshot suggestions, and the .25 caliber remarks, I would have to respectfully disagree. Everyone is entitled to their opinions. I apologize for getting the chronology backwards in the first post. I should have stated, "I assessed the situation and then unholstered my pistol".... in the split second that the dog to my left spotted me.

For those unfamiliar with me, I carry a 20 ga. instead of a 12 ga because an injury to my sternum several years back makes it impossible to shoulder anything larger. I am a lifetime hunter with almost 40 years in the Maine woods. Birdshot does not always deter a bird at 30 feet, let alone a sixty pound Rottie.

As soon as one spotted me, the pistol was drawn. Eight semi-auto shots instead of one, bolt-up, bolt-back, bolt-forward, bolt-down (2-3 seconds I might not have), and only three chances overall. The 67 FPE for those who want, can volunteer to take one or two from an obliging friend (I won't threaten you!), and see if you still think it's an anemic round. Nine to twelve inches of penetration from a 50g projectile in flesh is convincing enough to keep me form wanting to be on the receiving end. I shoot a handgun that I can control and put on target rapidly and faithfully, including my .22's ,380's, 9mm's and .357mag. Today I happened to pocket my work pistol that does not print like my Bersa Thunder, Ruger or Dan Wesson. I have to work with customers in public.

Again, to respectfully disagree with the naysayers because I do not know your circumstances, preferences or real life limitations, I have to say that two dogs lived today by retreating in a heat of the moment occurence. I would have lived today either way.

Please don't take my reply the wrong way. I'm glad you didn't have to shoot the dogs and also that you are safe. But I've seen pissed off Rotti's and if they really, reallywant a piece of you, I would never bet my life on a .25 .....that's all. I've seen a Rotti take a 24 oz. Estwing framing hammer in the mellon full swing and get right back up for more.

If the person taking the swing is a retarded one armed monkey hopped up on muscle relaxers then I can see that, otherwise a 24 oz. hammer to the head would basically kill the dog. Next time you see that person take them aside and show them how to take a swing like they have a pair. [wink]

Rottweilers are actually pretty nice dogs in general. it's all about the socializing.

Sadly people don't train them properly or intentionally make them mean with no proper guard-dog training. I'm glad you didn't have to shoot them. If I'd been in your shoes I would have reacted the same way, and it would have really messed up my day to have to shoot a dog.

Someone needs to invite this guy to an NES shoot. Bolt action shotgun and .25acp mouse gun [shocked]

Intervention time [smile]

Just can't stop pickin on my plinkers, huh? [crying]

Don't worry, there's sixty other guns in my stable. Just armed for what I thought would be some turkeys before heading to work. No need for an NES shoot. The back side of Saddleback Mt in November is my range. It's where the proof goes into the pudding!

Deer felled from 240g wadcutter 44mag carbine. Carrying 158g JSP, .357 mag +p in my sidearm that day. (cousin pictured)

E_Madrid_and_deer_024.jpg

As it turned out, everbody made it home safely, including the dogs. All in all a good day. Thanks for the support and suggestions! [grin]

Just can't stop pickin on my plinkers, huh? [crying]

Don't worry, there's sixty other guns in my stable. Just armed for what I thought would be some turkeys before heading to work. No need for an NES shoot. The back side of Saddleback Mt in November is my range. It's where the proof goes into the pudding!

Deer felled from 240g wadcutter 44mag carbine. Carrying 158g JSP, .357 mag +p in my sidearm that day. (cousin pictured)

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/E_Madrid_and_deer_024.jpg

As it turned out, everbody made it home safely, including the dogs. All in all a good day. Thanks for the support and suggestions! [grin][/QUOTE]

Okay, you're forgiving if you post up more pics of big guns like that [wink]

If the person taking the swing is a retarded one armed monkey hopped up on muscle relaxers then I can see that, otherwise a 24 oz. hammer to the head would basically kill the dog. Next time you see that person take them aside and show them how to take a swing like they have a pair. [wink]

Let's see how good your swing is with a 120 lb. Rotti after your face. Your pair will be in your throat I guarantee. The dog wasn't just standing there asking for it, he was trying to kill.

martin08, can you do me a favor and take the grip off of the Dan Wesson? Reason being my grandmother(passed on last year) worked at the Dan Wesson factory in Monson for many years assembling the DW handguns. She would scribe her name(Andy, short for Adrienne) on the part of the frame covered up by the grip.

In about a year of searching, I've only found one Dan Wesson that she assembled. It is all the way down in NC.

martin08, can you do me a favor and take the grip off of the Dan Wesson? Reason being my grandmother(passed on last year) worked at the Dan Wesson factory in Monson for many years assembling the DW handguns. She would scribe her name(Andy, short for Adrienne) on the part of the frame covered up by the grip.

In about a year of searching, I've only found one Dan Wesson that she assembled. It is all the way down in NC.

Very interesting, Viper.

I'm at work now, but I'll get back to you by tomorrow. It's nice to know that your Grandmother does live on in the lives of many unbeknownst Dan Wesson owners. It's an honor to know about her regardless of the outcome!

Back
Top Bottom