As a mass resident can I keep a shotgun on my RI boat?

Hi everybody,

So while I'd like to get an RI LTC for our handguns what I really want is to have is a shotgun on the boat for when we go on extended trips. We anchor in all sorts of random places and I'd just like to have it with me. It would be there while I'm on it only, it would travel me back home when we aren't there.

The rules get a little foggy, especially when a boat is a vehicle but obviously doesn't go on roads unless it was being transported.

Thanks for the help!

Hi everybody,

So while I'd like to get an RI LTC for our handguns what I really want is to have is a shotgun on the boat for when we go on extended trips. We anchor in all sorts of random places and I'd just like to have it with me. It would be there while I'm on it only, it would travel me back home when we aren't there.

The rules get a little foggy, especially when a boat is a vehicle but obviously doesn't go on roads unless it was being transported.

Thanks for the help!
Yay!!! You could be a test case. The statute says "while upon or along any public highway, road, lane, or trail within this state", so that doesn't include waterways. A DEM LEO might see it differently however. It's unlikely you could be successfully charged with a weapons crime, although they might get you on disturbing the peace or something else.

If you unloaded the gun, you would be fine. The RI Pistol Permit (not LTC) doesn't have any bearing on carrying a loaded long gun in a vehicle, it's always illegal.

§ 11-47-51 Loaded weapons in vehicles. – It is unlawful for any person to have in his or her possession a loaded rifle or loaded shotgun or a rifle or shotgun from the magazine of which all shells and cartridges have not been removed, in or on any vehicle or conveyance or its attachments while upon or along any public highway, road, lane, or trail within this state; [...]

LOL

Well my boat stays in RI unlike his, plus he'd just ignore the gun laws the same way he ignored the tax laws. :)

Test case; gotta love how convoluted this stuff is.

So, I don't want to have an unloaded shotgun, that's kinda pointless :)

Yes you can get shotguns with mags (Saiga) but I'm just interested in my mossberg mariner (pump)

Thanks for finding those threads

I was aware of the state laws while in state waters, it's rare that we venture off shore now so federal and international waters laws likely won't ever apply.

Back
Top Bottom