• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Article on what to do if caught showing...

You're all overthinking this.

If you're packing heat, and you get noticed, you just yell, "WOLVERINES!!!!!" and all will be fine.

Post, and let us know how this works out for you! [laugh]

That only works if you're cc'ing an AK. I thought everybody knew that, sheesh.

[wink]

I kind of like the idea of wearing a badge ("awesome citizen") on the holster for the purposes of calming someone down that happens to see your weapon. I'm sure they would be far less likely to call the police.

The only problem I have with it is:

1) I'd kind of feel like a tool
2) If some one does call the cops, my heart tells me they'd slap you with impersonating a cop

Item 2) is indeed true in MA anyway! You can count on it, after the officer picks himself up off the ground laughing his ass off at your expense.

I was in the Amherst, NH Wal-Mart a few weeks ago, grabbing shotgun ammo for trap and other goodies (targets, spare earplugs, the usual). I get up to the counter, and the elder gentleman looked at me and said "might wanna fix your shirt". My button-up shirt had lifted and settled on the inside of the grip [shocked]. Fixed, he rang me up and I was on my way.

Can't really imagine what would've happened in PRM. Arrested? Flogged at the stake? Fed to lions? [puke2]

I've open carried at that Wal-Mart while buying ammo, the older guy looked at my pistol, rung me up and didn't say a word. I've never had an issue either open carrying or printing/flashing by accident in NH.

I kind of like the idea of wearing a badge ("awesome citizen") on the holster for the purposes of calming someone down that happens to see your weapon. I'm sure they would be far less likely to call the police.

The only problem I have with it is:

1) I'd kind of feel like a tool
2) If some one does call the cops, my heart tells me they'd slap you with impersonating a cop
Yeah, I'm with ya here. I'm not sure I want to feel like a Super Mall Ninja, either.

Item 2) is indeed true in MA anyway! You can count on it, after the officer picks himself up off the ground laughing his ass off at your expense.

cwp_badge.gif
Probably not the best answer [smile]

However, this one,
SA0008.jpg

Neither one has anything to do with LE on them anywhere so I'm not sure where the impersonation comes from, but this is Mass, so arbitrary (and sometimes false) convictions are the norm with some of these DA's. Isn't that how Mother Coakley rose to power?

Sadly, the bottom one will calm the angry horde of sheep because most are too stupid to read anyway. They see something shiny and oval and assume the badge is real. Not really our fault they're stupid, is it? [wink]

However, this one,
View attachment 21975

Neither one has anything to do with LE on them anywhere so I'm not sure where the impersonation comes from, but this is Mass, so arbitrary (and sometimes false) convictions are the norm with some of these DA's. Isn't that how Mother Coakley rose to power?

Sadly, the bottom one will calm the angry horde of sheep because most are too stupid to read anyway. They see something shiny and oval and assume the badge is real. Not really our fault they're stupid, is it? [wink]

You answered your own question.

If the public looks at it and gets the impression that it is REAL (LE), then you are impersonating an officer and can be charged/convicted accordingly.

The intent of the badge is indeed to do exactly that, so "intent" is very easy to prove.

You answered your own question.

If the public looks at it and gets the impression that it is REAL (LE), then you are impersonating an officer and can be charged/convicted accordingly.

The intent of the badge is indeed to do exactly that, so "intent" is very easy to prove.

Len, I get what you are saying, but if you don't try to identify yourself as such (LEO), and the badge has no wording to indicate that you a special police, or any other law enforcement agency, or logo, how could they possibly make the charges stick? That badge in the example above is nothing more than an open proclamation that you have a concealed weapons permit. Any first year law student should be able to rip right through that accusation.

Terminator,

The term "if it walks like a duck . . ." comes to my mind.

I wouldn't be so sure about walking from such a charge and I can tell you that POs get mighty pissed at seeing anyone pretend to be one of them.

Len, I get what you are saying, but if you don't try to identify yourself as such (LEO), and the badge has no wording to indicate that you a special police, or any other law enforcement agency, or logo, how could they possibly make the charges stick? That badge in the example above is nothing more than an open proclamation that you have a concealed weapons permit. Any first year law student should be able to rip right through that accusation.

If you take 12 random people, show them a person with a holster and the CCW badge (from say 10 feet away), and ask them to describe that person. What do you think they will say?

Also not trying to be snide or rude, just making a point. I honestly believe they'd hit you with impersonating an officer and I also believe they'd have a good case.

What I think is fair is probably irrelevant.

Terminator,

The term "if it walks like a duck . . ." comes to my mind.

I wouldn't be so sure about walking from such a charge and I can tell you that POs get mighty pissed at seeing anyone pretend to be one of them.

Len, don't get me wrong, I understand, and for the most part agree with your perspective on the appearance of trying to impersonate an officer. I was just looking at it from a different perspective in a strictly legal interpretation, when being a LEO is neither stated, nor implied (by the wording on the badge). In this f'd up state, though, you are likely right about being charged, and them finding a way to get it to stick.

If you take 12 random people, show them a person with a holster and the CCW badge (from say 10 feet away), and ask them to describe that person. What do you think they will say?

Also not trying to be snide or rude, just making a point. I honestly believe they'd hit you with impersonating an officer and I also believe they'd have a good case.

What I think is fair is probably irrelevant.

That example makes an excellent point with regard to people's perception, and based on that alone, a jury would find it difficult to acquit because any reasonable person would assume you were a cop based on a quick flash of a badge, with a holstered firearm next to it.

I had a buddy who's shirt flew up while he was on his motorcycle. Unfortunately, not only did every motorist on the road see his back, but also the Glock that he had on his hip. He went to the mall and when he got out shortly after, he was stopped by a cop, given a warning, and sent on his way.

This happened in Washington...I cannot even begin to imagine what would happen if this took place in MA.

I had a buddy who's shirt flew up while he was on his motorcycle. Unfortunately, not only did every motorist on the road see his back, but also the Glock that he had on his hip. He went to the mall and when he got out shortly after, he was stopped by a cop, given a warning, and sent on his way.

This happened in Washington...I cannot even begin to imagine what would happen if this took place in MA.

Last year while shopping at Stop and Shop in Watertown, my shirt had ridden up over the grip of my glock 17. It was in a Crossbreed holster. I was obliviously shopping with the girlfriend when a Newton cop (he was shopping) did a double take and told me that I'd better fix my shirt before someone calls the cops! I think the problem is not anywhere near what people make it out to be.

A friend was carrying at the theater in Framingham when police approached him because his shirt had worked itself up over his Glock. They took the gun and his LTC and checked it out. Then they returned them both and told him to cover it up.

and why did they take his gun?

They had no reason to do so. It's not like they take your car from you before verifying your DL.

Last year while shopping at Stop and Shop in Watertown, my shirt had ridden up over the grip of my glock 17. It was in a Crossbreed holster. I was obliviously shopping with the girlfriend when a Newton cop (he was shopping) did a double take and told me that I'd better fix my shirt before someone calls the cops! I think the problem is not anywhere near what people make it out to be.
Tell that to the guy in Dedham,Ma. who`s jacket blew open in a store w/a Dedham detective in line behind him. His LTC was immediately revoked by the COP and when the former gun owner took it all the way to court he lost. COP said he wasn`t "suitable" anymore.

Tell that to the guy in Dedham,Ma. who`s jacket blew open in a store w/a Dedham detective in line behind him. His LTC was immediately revoked by the COP and when the former gun owner took it all the way to court he lost. COP said he wasn`t "suitable" anymore.

Its definitely an issue but, to be honest, this is the only story I hear about an LTC being revoked for lack of concealment while I've heard a few more about cops spotting a "concealed" gun and not reacting. I'm not saying it couldn't be an issue and being careful to stay concealed is still prudent but I'm not entirely sure how necessary all the knee knocking worry is.

Given a warning for what? It's perfectly legal to O/C in Washington. I don't do it much, but I do occasionally for convenience sake.

While our brandishing law is really the suck (open to broad interpretation) the only people I'm aware of who have been convicted of it WRT O/C were actively fiddling with the gun, or, in another case, was hanging around en empty parking lot at 1AM next to a restaurant that had been recently robbed a couple of times and refused to cover it up when asked to do so by the cops. (The court found that the restaurant employees had a reasonable fear under the specific circumstances.)

Washington has been a shall issue state for decades and it's quite rare to have a problem with LE over a legally carried gun unless you're acting like an asshat.

Given a warning for what? It's perfectly legal to O/C in Washington. I don't do it much, but I do occasionally for convenience sake.

While our brandishing law is really the suck (open to broad interpretation) the only people I'm aware of who have been convicted of it WRT O/C were actively fiddling with the gun, or, in another case, was hanging around en empty parking lot at 1AM next to a restaurant that had been recently robbed a couple of times and refused to cover it up when asked to do so by the cops. (The court found that the restaurant employees had a reasonable fear under the specific circumstances.)

Washington has been a shall issue state for decades and it's quite rare to have a problem with LE over a legally carried gun unless you're acting like an asshat.

You can carry concealed, or carry openly...you cannot have a mix of both. There are certain criteria that must be met in order for qualify as "open carry" versus concealed. I think the reason they did this so that people can't lift up their shirt as a threat, and just state afterwards that they were "open carrying".

Back
Top Bottom