Article: "How Military Guns Make the Civilian Market"

Reptile

NES Member
The Atlantic magazine says that the new fangled Army handgun will result in more deaths on the street because it is a military weapon. What a fail. The new Army handgun already exists because it will be chosen from current handguns which are "on the streets" now.

"The U.S. Army plans to select a new standard-issue handgun. If history is a guide, similar pistols will soon start appearing at gun stores and crime scenes near you.

This week, the U.S. Army will brief arms manufacturers on the design requirements for a new standard-issue handgun. Several gun makers will compete for the lucrative contract, developing weapons that are more reliable and more powerful than those currently in service. Officials say the upgrade is overdue—it’s been nearly 30 years since the Army adopted the Beretta M9. But the last time the military challenged the industry to make a better handgun, all the innovations intended for the battlefield also ended up in the consumer market, and the severity of civilian shootings soared."

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics...ilitary-guns-make-the-civilian-market/375123/

Edit: apparently this author has posted MANY anti gun articles in the past. He has an agenda. Hence the bias.

Last edited:
"The U.S. Army plans to select a new standard-issue handgun. If history is a guide, similar pistols will soon start appearing at gun stores and crime scenes near you.

"all the innovations intended for the battlefield also ended up in the consumer market, and the severity of civilian shootings soared."

[video=youtube_share;5hfYJsQAhl0]http://youtu.be/5hfYJsQAhl0[/video]

These "surplus" military pistols will NEVER make it to the civilian market!

First off they can be offered/provided to any "ally' nation (like Korea, Taiwan, etc) and part of a lend program ( like the M1's, M16's, etc.)

Next any military "surplus" can be offered up to any US Government or State agency (Reserves, National Guard, State Police, Local Police.) for free!

The US M9 is made by Beretta and is the same gun Beretta manufactures/sells as the Beretta M9 and Beretta 92 to the civilian market.

If the US government "dumped" all those M9's on the surplus market , it would kill the Beretta M9 and Beretta 92 market in the USA.

What the government would be doing is taking tax payer money ( some of it from Beretta ) and using that money to destroy a civilian market for a specific pistol, causing that market and business financial harm. There are Military rules and regulations in place, that govern and prohibit such practices. ( That's why the "military surplus" market and there are fewer military surplus stores around now. More items are being destroyed then offered up as surplus)

Bottom line ...if your waiting for a cheap surplus M9 to come your way sometime in the future..... don't hold your breath!

I would guess that the Lethal Weapon and Die Hard movies had at least as much to do with the popularity of the Beretta 92FS as the military's adoption of it as a sidearm.

"all the innovations intended for the battlefield also ended up in the consumer market, and the severity of civilian shootings soared."

Sweet! I had no idea that I could buy bazookas and M-16s at my local gun shop! I am heading out to Four Seasons after work tonight! [rolleyes]

The author of this article is a flippin' moron! Don't you have to do at least a tiny bit of research prior to getting an article published? Clearly not.

So-called "civilian" guns also make the military market. The Army's M24 sniper weapon system and the U.S.M.C. M40-series sniper rifles are based upon the Remington 700 action mated to a heavy barrel and accurized. Basically, they are highly specialized bolt-action target rifles.
The I.D.F. purchased a number of Ruger 10/22 rifles for use against Palestinian demonstrators, because of reduced noise. Israel's Mossad used Italian-made Beretta target pistols as assassination weapons against PLO operatives. Navy SEALS, U.S. Coast Guard, U.S.M.C. and other military units use the venerable Remington 870 and Mossberg 500 shotguns. All of these are considered to be civilian sporting firearms. The line between what constitutes a military firearm vs. a civilian firearm is very blurry at best.

The fact that the armed forces pick a specific handgun doesn't mean diddly squat about the quality of said gun. There's so much political thought involved in the acquisition process, it's not even funny. If that wasn't the case, they'd all be shooting P226, like the SEALs, or Gock17s like the SAS.

Back
Top Bottom