• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Article: "A Gun Nut’s Guide to Gun Control That Works"

JJ4

Interesting read -

A Gun Nut’s Guide to Gun Control That Works

A Gun Nut’s Guide to Gun Control That Works
A federal license for possession of semi-automatic firearms could make Americans safer—and more free.
By JON STOKES
April 28, 2018

"The idea is simple but powerful: a federally issued license for simple possession of all semi-automatic firearms. This license would allow us to carefully vet civilian access to semi-automatic weapons, while overriding state-specific weapon bans and eliminating some of the federal paperwork that ties specific firearms to specific owners."

"Under a licensing regime that authorizes license holders for possession of semi-autos, it doesn’t matter whose semi-auto you’re holding, where you got it, how big the magazine is, or how terrifying it looks to the New York Times editorial board. It only matters that you’ve been vetted and are licensed to possess this category of weapon.

License holders could swap such guns among themselves without the need for any sort of official transfer mechanism"

"The framework I’m proposing is essentially a grand bargain: The gun control side gives up the possibility of a federal gun registry, specific states abandon their weapon bans and long gun registries, and in exchange the gun rights side accepts a brand new federal licensing scheme with real teeth."

My take: Interesting idea, at least from the perspective of a resident of non-free-state - this would be a huge net positive. Free-state residents would be giving up much more, so I can see NH people hating this. I also get the "f-off, keep the feds out of it" idea, and "if we let the feds give the feds can take away" - but there is little hope for states like MA/NY/NJ/CA otherwise. That said, I don't see this as realistic - MA/NY/NJ/CA, etc, will not give up their control quietly.

No. Just no. As a resident of MA, it would seem that I would have a lot to gain but it would be at the expense of people in free states. I don't want to steal their rights/freedom because you can be damn sure that the license would be extremely difficult to get and the whole thing would be repealed in a few years. Nope, nope, nope...[rolleyes]

Sure , give the Fed a central registry of the names and addresses of every gun owner in the country.
Can't see where that could go wrong . [slap]

Even you could convince the Vermonts and New Hampshires and Alaskas to play along...

Here's the real problem:

...allow us to carefully vet...

Who's doing the vetting? What standards are they using?

It's trivially easy to change the vetting process to include nobody who isn't a cop or connected political crony.

It'd be easy to declare anyone who's ever taken ritalin or been suspended from grade school or gotten a speeding ticket unfit to own a gun.

Then what happens?

I stand by my offer to require a federal license with extreme vetting in order to possess any firearm that was in existence in 1776. Not reproductions, mind you. And not the same model firearm but manufactured in 1777. Just those that physically existed in 1776. In return for which we repeal every gun control law in existence at the Federal, State and local levels.

Now THAT is COMPROMISE.

This sounds like the misguided decision the Indians made many years ago, trying to negotiate in good faith with the forked tongue.

Anti-gunners' decisions are always going to be based on the end of weapon ownership no matter how long it takes, don't be fooled.

I'll see your "white man speak with forked tongue" and raise you with:
354eb0b16249ec830edbec8022c41737.jpg

LOL this guy is a nipplehead.... that IS a federal gun registry. Anyone who has one of those f***ing cards is going to have guns... DUH.

This sounds like the misguided decision the Indians made many years ago, trying to negotiate in good faith with the forked tongue.

Anti-gunners' decisions are always going to be based on the end of weapon ownership no matter how long it takes, don't be fooled.

Yup. The details really don’t matter if one side is going to cheat and wants nothing more than to stab you in the back.

You cannot compromise with Nazis, pirates and gun grabbers.

Again, my favorite answer: PARTITION.

This shit will keep coming up, with more and more support in certain places. Best thing to do with such a cancer is cut it out.

Dissolve this bullshit of a "union" and be done with it.

Sure , give the Fed a central registry of the names and addresses of every gun owner in the country.
Can't see where that could go wrong . [slap]

They have everything they need via 4473s, Google, Facebook and the NSA recordings of our NES posts.

The good news is nobody trusts the government anymore, so it won’t be easy to sneak up on us Australia style.

Just what we need , more cost added for a constitutional right

In addition to the obvious violation of rights, the entire idea deters ownership. Antis IMHO are moving to the long game now. Deter ownership, wait for the next generation or two to die off, then come back with blanket bans of bullshit, which can then be passed with less political resistance....

Granted interest has spiked.... but even look at MAs stupid system... and just think about it, on its front- about how many people say, went into a gun store, and got turned away because no LTC; and then just simply never went through with getting the license because it was perceived as being too much bullshit (and risk).

-Mike

Mr. Stokes is asking gun owners to give up a lot, receiving nothing but empty promises in return. Any law attempting to override state-specific weapon bans would be immediately challenged by MA (and CA,NY,NJ,MD, etc).

From TFA:
Politico said:
Jon Stokes is a founder of Ars Technica and a former editor for Wired. He writes about guns and technology for TechCrunch, AllOutdoor.com, TheFireArmBlog.com and other publications.
I don't recall seeing his byline on TFB, but he does have a few articles listed.

Back
Top Bottom