Arsenal Inc SA M-5 Buy it or not?

I am located here in MA and have the chance to buy a milled Arsenal Inc AK 47 type rifle new in the box for $850. It's a SA M-5 in .223 or (5.56) and is considered to be Mass compliant because it has no lug, flash hidder, or folding stock. I was looking for an AK type rifle in 7.62X39 and found this instead. From my knowledge of AK's the Arsenal is as good as it gets in terms of quality and performance. Should I go ahead in buy it or not. I have nearly three years left in MA due to my military orders (I have live here four months and have a Class A LTC). Is this my best shot at getting a quality AK? I don't want a junky one even if it is Pre Ban.
Thanks for your help.
Smitty

Last edited:
Arsenal AK's are top notch. Personally... I like the feel and heft of the milled receiver over a stamped one.

I don't know what the current prices are, but I paid a lot less than $850.00 for one a couple of years ago (with spare mag, scope mount and cheapo red dot scope).

One problem you might encounter is the availability of inexpensive pre-ban 5.56/.223 mags for it (5.45x39 mags can be converted by replacing the mag follower).

As stated above, Arsenal Inc AK's are of very high quality. The SAM-5 is out of production and has been for a while now. If it's what you want, get it. The only issue, as LoginName said, is that pre ban standard capacity mags are expensive and hard to find. Arsenal is planning on producing a new line of AWB compliant AKM's in 5.56 and 7.62x39, but when they will be available hasn't been confirmed yet (it could be a while).

If I may make a suggestion...
Stick with a variant chambered in 7.62x39 because standard cap mags are everywhere and they are cheap. If you want a high quality AK, contact AK USA and have them convert a Saiga into AWB compliant AK-103 type configuration for you...
http://www.ak-103.com/rifles.html

Is an AK really an AK if it's not 7.62 or 5.45 ?[wink]

If you really want it,offer him $650-$700 and no more.

My opinion is shop around some more.

Agreed. Arsenals are awesome and I actually like the 5.56 version. I have however seen them much cheaper.

PS: Remember though, 5.56 mags are not that easy to find here and can be expensive. Make sure it comes with some or you have a bead on a supply. The included 10rd mags will get boring quickly...

Last edited:
Trying to make up my mind.

THANKS FOR THE OPINIONS GUYS [grin]. I too think the price was a little high. At $600 to $650, I'd of been all over it. I also was looking for the 7.62X39 version. I've already got two .223 / (5.56) black rifles. Also my favorite little rifle that I own is a CZ 527 carbine (bolt action) in 7.62X39 and I wanted something to go along with it. I'd be all over a CZ USA VZ-58 (Chez version of an AK but it's a little different), if I had a line on magazines for it in MA.
I'll have to think about the Arsenal SA M-5 due to it's price and and chambering. The cost of .223 / (5.56) isn't getting any cheaper. I've always like'd the fact that the 7.62X39 was a bigger round at a cheaper cost.
I had given some thought as to the Saiga (or Siaga) rifle in 7.62X39 and then doing the conversion to take normal AK mags and add a pistol grip on it. The same store has one for like $325, just not too sure I'm up to doing the conversion. In the past I've built a couple AR's but know nothing of AK's, this would be my first.
Darn Marine Corps sending me here, If I was home in KY I could go to Knob Creek Gun Range right now and buy either an Arsenal underfolder or a Arsenal 16 inch Krinkov side folder in 7.62X39. They aren't near as uptight about gun laws back in KY as they are here. Well at least the gun shop is closed till Tuesday so I've got some time to think about it.
Thanks Again,
Smitty

Last edited:
VZ-58

I would really go with the VZ-58 by CZ USA. The bolt stays open after the last round, its striker fired, weighs a full pound less fully loaded, and has less parts than an AK(!). The magazines are a little more scarce than AKs or ARs, but not impossible to find with the World Wide Web.

Back
Top Bottom