• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Arsenal Found on the Cape!

http://www.capecodonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080730/NEWS/807300337

Police seize Cape weapons cache
By MATTHEW M. BURKE
[email protected]
July 30, 2008

MARSTONS MILLS — Under an unrelenting sun, a massive collection of deadly weaponry was displayed yesterday afternoon at 3640 Falmouth Road in the woods overlooking Mill Pond.

More than 50 handguns, shotguns, rifles, high-powered assault rifles, hundreds of rounds of assorted ammunition including a case clearly labeled "NATO," throwing knives, bayonets, an inert bomb, and a 50-pound bag of black powder were laid out on a green tarp in front of the house at the end of a quarter-mile long dirt driveway.

Armed with a search warrant, the entire Barnstable Police Department's detective division, members of the Barnstable County Sheriff's Department Crime Scene Investigation Unit, and members of the state police bomb squad descended yesterday on the 13-acre property and rundown home owned by Kenneth Webster Jr.

Neighbors said they had no idea about the arsenal that was being kept at the home, which sat partially boarded up, amid piles of trash and debris. A satellite dish on the side of the house served as the only outward sign of habitation.

Webster, 44, who has a history of mental illness, according to court records, was arrested at the property at about 11 a.m. yesterday, Barnstable police Detective Sgt. John Murphy Jr. said.

Webster faces 10 counts of illegal gun possession without a license and one count of illegal possession of ammunition. Murphy said more charges are sure to follow. It is unclear whether federal charges will be brought by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms, which is involved in the case, according to police.

"We had no idea," Murphy said. "We had probable cause to suspect (Webster had weapons), but no one believed it was of this magnitude."

Earlier incident
Police located Webster, who does not have a license for his firearms, at his parents' home on Wakeby Road yesterday morning and he voluntarily and "politely" accompanied them to the Falmouth Road property for the search, Murphy said.

Webster told officers he had no weapons but was placed under arrest after that was found to be false. Police said they do not believe there are more weapons stashed in any of small buildings on Webster's property or at his parents' house. They said weapons were found in his trailer, house and parked cars.

The search warrant executed yesterday stemmed from a July 1 incident in which officers arrested Webster while attempting to serve him with a restraining order.

His wife, who is separated from Webster and has not lived on the Falmouth Road property in more than a year and half, filed the order in Plymouth Probate Court, Murphy said of the woman who now lives in Plymouth. Murphy said he did not have any details on the restraining order other than the document stating Webster was known to possess weapons.

found with weapons
On July 1, officers went to Webster's parents' Wakeby Road home to serve the restraining order but he was not there, Murphy said.

While at the Marstons Mills Cash Market that day, Webster identified himself from his vehicle and asked whether the officers were looking for him, Murphy said.

Webster then began acting strangely, refusing to exit his vehicle or to show his hands. At the time, he was wearing several knives around his waist and told police he did not have a gun, according to court records.

Barnstable police Officers Scott Wright, Kevin Donovan and Sgt. Mark Mellyn later found a loaded 9 mm Derringer pistol in the front pocket of Webster's pants, according to court records. The Derringer was one of five handguns found to be in his possession at the time, along with $16,125, according to court records.

Webster, who is not employed, told police during the July 1 incident that he didn't need a gun permit because the U.S. Constitution gives him the right to bear arms, Murphy said.

Charges from Webster's July 1 arrest include four counts of carrying a firearm without a license, two counts of possession of a firearm without a Firearm Identification Card, and carrying a dangerous weapon.

Webster pleaded not guilty to the charges and was released on $10,000 cash bail July 2. He posted half of the bail himself and his mother, Barbara, posted the rest, according to court documents. Webster was scheduled to appear in Barnstable District Court for a pretrial hearing yesterday.

Immediately following Webster's July 1 arrest, Barnstable police Detective Lt. Sean Balcom and Detective Jason Laber began to investigate Webster, Murphy said.

They watched his movements through limited surveillance as they worked to get a search warrant for his property for two weeks.

Police close in
The warrant was finally received last Wednesday, and officers began day surveillance of Webster and constant surveillance of his parents' house in preparation for serving the warrant, Murphy said. They wanted to approach Webster after he had left his home for fear that he might turn his guns on officers.

"This is not an area where police would want to go," Murphy said between junked cars on Webster's property. "He could sit up on his roof and we wouldn't be able to get within a half mile of here."

Webster is believed to have lived on the property for some time, police said. A deceased friend willed the property to Webster, Murphy said. He is known to have lived previously in Florida and Maine, according to police and court documents. Police are confident Webster does not have a firearms license in either of those states.

arraignment today
"He was just a kid," said neighbor John Pina, 88. "He was quiet but he seemed nice. I didn't know all that was down there."

Pina said Webster told him he had previously worked in law enforcement. Murphy said that he too had heard that Webster claimed to be a summer officer in Falmouth, however, the police sergeant couldn't confirm or deny the claim last night.

Webster was never a full-time police officer nor is he a former military officer, Murphy said.

Police do not yet know where Webster purchased all of his guns.

Webster is scheduled for arraignment in Barnstable District Court this morning. Police expect to be at his home throughout the week cataloging weapons, Murphy said.

Staff writer Hilary Russ contributed to this report.

hundreds of rounds of assorted ammunition including a case clearly labeled "NATO,"

Many of us are screwed now, aren't we? We have, "NATO" rounds.

He is known to have lived previously in Florida and Maine, according to police and court documents. Police are confident Webster does not have a firearms license in either of those states.

Maybe it's because you don't have to have one??

capecod1.jpg

Law enforcement officials catalogue weapons seized at the Marstons Mills home of Kenneth Webster Jr. The confiscated firearms included a .50-caliber sniper rifle, seen on a tripod in the foreground.

(dumbasses, it's a bipod, not tripod.)

capecod2.jpg

Sheriff’s department investigator John Szucs displays a string of .50-caliber bullets confiscated in yesterday’s raid.

I fail to see what crime was committed (apart from breaking MA BS gun laws). This guy will now go to jail for a long time because of his wife's word with no proof needed (restraining order).

The police and media sure love all the buzz words though.

The guy sound like a kook but apart from the BS gun charges he did not commit a crime and there is no evidence he was planning to commit any crime.

weapons cache....

a massive collection of deadly weaponry....

More than 50 handguns, shotguns, rifles, high-powered assault rifles, hundreds of rounds of assorted ammunition including a case clearly labeled "NATO," throwing knives, bayonets, an inert bomb, and a 50-pound bag of black powder ....

(the usual BS and buzzwords... also it sounds like he needs more ammo)

the entire Barnstable Police Department's detective division, members of the Barnstable County Sheriff's Department Crime Scene Investigation Unit, and members of the state police bomb squad descended yesterday on the 13-acre property and rundown home......

(wow, sounds like they were dealing with a really dangerous criminal)

Neighbors said they had no idea about the arsenal .. partially boarded up, amid piles of trash and debris....

(children could have been hurt)

history of mental illness....

(lets just throw that out there too)

10 counts of illegal gun possession without a license and one count of illegal possession of ammunition.....

(here's his "crime")

no one believed it was of this magnitude......

weapons were found in his trailer, house and parked cars....

(oh, those scary guns)

His wife, who is separated from Webster and has not lived on the Falmouth Road property in more than a year and half, filed the order in Plymouth Probate Court, Murphy said of the woman who now lives in Plymouth. Murphy said he did not have any details on the restraining order other than the document stating Webster was known to possess weapons.

(here's why "the man" got involved in his life, his wife went a got a restraining order)

Webster then began acting strangely, refusing to exit his vehicle or to show his hands. At the time, he was wearing several knives around his waist and told police he did not have a gun, according to court records.

(he voluntarily contacted the officers (big mistake) and they decided to turn it into a felony stop and search, all for a restraining order)

Barnstable police Officers Scott Wright, Kevin Donovan and Sgt. Mark Mellyn later found a loaded 9 mm Derringer pistol in the front pocket of Webster's pants, according to court records. The Derringer was one of five handguns found to be in his possession at the time, along with $16,125, according to court records.

(5 handguns, was he coming back from the range?)

Webster, who is not employed, told police during the July 1 incident that he didn't need a gun permit because the U.S. Constitution gives him the right to bear arms, Murphy said.

(lets just throw the unemployed thing out there too)

They watched his movements through limited surveillance as they worked to get a search warrant for his property for two weeks.

(yep, better watch the guy carefully, he knows about the constitution, must be one of them crazy militia wackos)

officers began day surveillance of Webster and constant surveillance of his parents' house in preparation for serving the warrant, Murphy said. They wanted to approach Webster after he had left his home for fear that he might turn his guns on officers....

(because until now he had cooperated with them and they had no evidence he was planning to commit any crimes)

"This is not an area where police would want to go," Murphy said between junked cars on Webster's property. "He could sit up on his roof and we wouldn't be able to get within a half mile of here."

(now he's a potential sniper???)

Webster is believed to have lived on the property for some time, police said. A deceased friend willed the property to Webster, Murphy said. He is known to have lived previously in Florida and Maine, according to police and court documents. Police are confident Webster does not have a firearms license in either of those states.

(since when have Maine and Florida required licenses to own firearms?)

this guys rights had to be violated somewhere in this deal.

so filing a restraining order and mentioning that he might have a gun constitutes a search warrant? What was the restraining order for over a year later? No mention he was bothering her in plymouth.

the bad news is that this guy had all that stuff and with no license it will make it look like there aren't enough gun control laws to prevent people from acquiring firearms illegally.

Maybe they should do a search and see if he ever had a license and it maybe expired which also means he is not licensed. That way it may help explain how he obtained his firearms.

Maybe they should do a search and see if he ever had a license and it maybe expired which also means he is not licensed. That way it may help explain how he obtained his firearms.

Or, maybe he obtained them when he lived in a state that didn't require a separate license to possess.

I don't know of any other state that does this.. Most, if you have a valid picture state ID, you can purchase a firearm.

I have many firearms that I bought legally from other states where I lived, but I didn't need a "firearms license." In those states my, "Firearms License" was my Drivers License.

Thank goodness they got that crazy man off the streets! Why would anyone need that many guns, unless.... he was planning to attack us, and maybe kill our pets!

OH, THE CHILDREN!

If we can only make it to the next presidential election, our saviour OBAMA will protect us from all this unpleasantness. Then we can all be safe like the residents of Washington DC.

When will Deval's one-gun-a-month policy kick in? None too soon for my liking.

Or, maybe he obtained them when he lived in a state that didn't require a separate license to possess.

I don't know of any other state that does this.. Most, if you have a valid picture state ID, you can purchase a firearm.

I have many firearms that I bought legally from other states where I lived, but I didn't need a "firearms license." In those states my, "Firearms License" was my Drivers License.

Good point. But they shouldn't leave it out there for people to speculate about. They should explain in detail if they were obtained legally and for some reason he just didn't comply with the state's licesing laws after the fact....

Why is he charged with 10 counts of illegal gun possession, but he had 50 or so weapons?

With 50 or handguns, rifles and shotguns, why would he have only "several hundred" rounds of ammo? Perhaps he collects them. I want that cute little cannon!

With 50 lbs of black powder, pretty good chance he likes shooting the signal cannon and muzzle loaders more than the "sniper" rifle.

He may have some screws loose, but he was together enough for someone to have married him at some time and it doesn't sound like he ever actually hurt anyone (or it would be in bold in the article). He doesn't sound like he's been a burden to society and his mental issues (if there are such) are probably the cause of his not registering the collection properly.

On the other hand, the careless storage of guns and the quantity of powder could be called unreasonable. Maybe he had the powder in a bunker, but I'm guessing they'd have called that something like "50 pounds of highly explosive gunpowder were found cached in an underground warren, like something out of Vietnam."

Maybe I'm just not paranoid enough, but carrying (ed. several) knives for protection...

Does anyone remember, back in the late 80's I think it was, maybe very early 90's, someone from north-west Boston (maybe Cambridge or Belmont?) was raided in a similar fashion? I remember seeing pictures of beautiful old rifles thrown in piles and almost crying. It eventually developed (according to my hazy recollection) that everything was properly registered and completely legal.

ed. wrt the 10 vs 50 - I wonder if 40 of these are older than 1900, which also explain the powder?

Last edited:
... and carrying a dangerous weapon.

Any conjecture on what the reporter means here?

Perhaps an alleged violation of the "knives and nunchuks" law?

If he had a double edged knife over 3" (a bayonet?) in the car, a charge might ensue that a reporter would translate to this wording.

1 at a time... they'll get the loonies and the problem childs first and most people not of the gun culture ( and a few in it ) will think this is a good thing. I agree with some of the above people - except for the RO, was this guy dangerous? I tuned out after the rambling of the reporter was too much to stomach.

Joe R.

When does serving a restraining order result in a search?

I honestly can't sit through the ramblings of the moonbats long enough to get the details of the case but I would like to say that the guy sounds more like a collector than anything.

Seriously I have more than 5 times that much ammunition in one brick of a federal 550 pack of 22lr.

I was listening to 101.9 cool 102 this morning when they were telling the story and making a huge deal out of it. The female broadcaster made the comment "He's just getting ready for deer season" or something to that extent as they went out to commercial. I turned the dial at that point and will never listen to that show again. Liberals [rofl].

What I find scary is that Nato Ammo. Look I'm ok with you gun people having your .223 rifles but this lunatic had a 5.56-THAT"S ALMOST TWICE AS POWERFUL- READ THE NUMBERS!

Just what constitutes a arsenal? More than a "gaggle"

I have more than a gaggle and about 100 times more ammo.[smile] Some of it in Russian marked boxes. [shocked]

Another reason to have a C&R. It's harder to make someone appear to be a dangerous gun nut when you have a federal license that says you are a licensed collector.

Last edited:
Good point. But they shouldn't leave it out there for people to speculate about. They should explain in detail if they were obtained legally and for some reason he just didn't comply with the state's licesing laws after the fact....

This is done INTENTIONALLY to instill fear and spread the anti-BS. I was waiting for the announcement that they did a forced evacuation of x square miles, locked down every public building, yada, yada, yada.

At least the police brass should know that most states don't require licenses for possession. Anyone who owns a home and lives there for extended periods can legally buy guns w/o a license in FL and ME. Bringing them back to MA isn't wise, but not illegal on the face of it (assuming the person has LTC here).

Agreed, this whole article was written to instill fear in Suzie Homemaker.

Bingo! We have a winner here.

When does serving a restraining order result in a search?

Doesn't surprise me, as you basically lose all your human rights when an RO is filed against you . . . whether justified or not. I'll let the legal beagles state the laws with the precise details, but when you are in a vehicle the courts seem to side with less rights wrt searches than when you are in your home.

What I find scary is that Nato Ammo. Look I'm ok with you gun people having your .223 rifles but this lunatic had a 5.56-THAT"S ALMOST TWICE AS POWERFUL- READ THE NUMBERS!

Don't forget it could also be .30-06...

THE HORRORS! [shocked]

Another reason to have a C&R. It's harder to make someone appear to be a dangerous gun nut when you have a federal license that says you are a licensed collector.

I'm sure that the media wouldn't look that far into it and still write a good scare piece on someone with an 03FFL.

I have three bricks of 22 caliber! Scary stuff and several Nato as well. Damn black powder and more than one gun. I also have that scalding sun on my property and a tripod (bipod) or two.

My god, should I tell my neighbors since they may not be aware? Hmmm, they have guns and bullets as well.

Seriously, my wife and I laughed over it this morning and we can't wait to see the resulting saga tonight when they show how easy it is to be with MA law loopholes for the mentally ill here in MA to get guns. You all know what a major problem thats been [rofl][sad][angry]

Hell, I would rather keep the mental people they refer to from getting their friggin cars on the road which is more a problem!

Last edited:

Makes sense asliberals don't know how to do math....

.223*2= .446 and 5.56/2= 2.78 not .223

this guys rights had to be violated somewhere in this deal.

so filing a restraining order and mentioning that he might have a gun constitutes a search warrant? What was the restraining order for over a year later? No mention he was bothering her in plymouth.

I hope one of our attorneys corrects me if I'm wrong, but I believe that a restraining order does constitute grounds for seizing firearms and ammunition. And if he seemed uncooperative or was caught giving false information, I believe a search can be made. In any case, the firearms on his person with no LTC is grounds for arrest.

looks like the guy had good taste in firearms. I see several there I'd like to have.

Imagine if they busted some of us. The story would have to read.......something like....

And spread out on a tarp in the front yard were 20 safes full of what are thought to be guns and ammunition. Mr (insert name here... Flotter, Coyle, depicts, Rambo, Bill Cody) admitted to police he did in fact purchase the safes to hold his gun collection which he said was almost complete... he only need ONE MORE and he'd be done. [rofl][rofl][rofl]

Give me a break.

Back
Top Bottom