• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Army veteran fired from CVS after trying to stop robbery

Reptile

NES Member
When two suspects tried robbing a Maryland CVS on Friday, Army veteran Joe Morici sprang into action.

And it cost him his job.

Morici, who served seven years in the Army, including a stint in Afghanistan, was fired from his management job at a Beltsville CVS because he intervened and tried to catch the men, FOX5 reported.

But Morici said his reactions were purely based on instinct when two men tried robbing the CVS pharmacy during his shift.

He quickly told cashiers to call 911 and helped an elderly man out of the store before locking the doors, preventing the suspects from leaving. Then he confronted them.

“The two kids ran into the door, which was closed now, and Joe got one of them and had him,” Chick Hernandez, a customer in the store at the time, told FOX5. “The kid, he had said to his partner, ‘Shoot him.’…And then Joe said, ‘I’ve been in the military far too long. You don’t have anything.’”

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/03/03/army-veteran-fired-from-cvs-after-trying-to-stop-robbery.html
---------------
Read the whole story. In hindsight, I think this guy was foolish because IF they were armed they could have killed everyone.

Firing him seems like the right thing to do...I'm sure the "New America" is quite pleased with CVS' handling of this.
In fact, let's all flock to the "Screw You and Your American Values" sale this weekend at CVS. (with special discounts on Pampers, etc...).

UnBleepingReal.

No idea why anyone would want to trap potentially armed robbers in a store with people it.

Robbers do crazy things when they are cornered and trapped.

I would have been pissed if one of my family members was in the crossfire.

Apparently the official CVS policy is the typical liberal mantra of "shelter in place and pee yourself"

This.

Many companies, in addition to a no firearms/weapons policy, also include a shelter-in-place/no self-help rule out of fear of lawsuits from the thugs if they get injured on the property.

No idea why anyone would want to trap potentially armed robbers in a store with people it.

I see your point but I am just so sick of the lay down like sheep attitude most Americans have nowadays. We have to toughen up as a nation and if that means some innocent people get caught in the crossfire that is very unfortunate but worth it in the big picture. In the long run continuing to embolden criminals is not making anyone safer.

Shit, I'd like to believe that if there was anyone else in the store carrying that they would help out. I think this man did the right thing.

The clerk was out of danger and outside of the store when he locked them in.

If they had guns they could have shot up the place after being trapped.

The robbers just wanted to leave the store at that point.

He left his fellow workers alone in the store, defenseless, with the robbers.

Would you lock your front door if your house had robbers inside along with your family?

The clerk was out of danger and outside of the store when he locked them in.

If they had guns they could have shot up the place after being trapped.

The robbers just wanted to leave the store at that point.

He left his fellow workers alone in the store, defenseless, with the robbers.

Would you lock your front door if your house had robbers inside along with your family?

He grabbed one of them after they ran into the locked door so he could not have been outside while they were locked inside. So he must have locked them in from the inside of the store.

When two suspects tried robbing a Maryland CVS on Friday, Army veteran Joe Morici sprang into action.

And it cost him his job.

In hindsight, I think this guy was foolish because IF they were armed they could have killed everyone.

Well he may or may not have been foolish. Bottom line, I admire him for having a set of balls and would like to tell CVS that their policy like so many other businesses' policies of a similar fashion, are part and parcel to what I consider the GIGANTIC emasculation and pussification of America. It's everywhere and seemingly contagious.

Fear of litigation has caused much of this BS.

Didn't stop me from locking thiefs inside the store with a screwdriver ready waiting for police. And while I can understand stealing from a billion dollar company, the idea that I could be fooled or taken advantage of on my watch really pissed me off. It was out of pride more than anything else that I tried to prevent theft or get them busted.

Working at CVS you see the dregs of society. Repeat offenders and people fishing through the trash for receipts to stuff they can yank it off the shelf to "return" it.

Thoroughly infuriating to witness.

Last edited:
Everyone should print out the article and tape it to as CVS door when passing by for customers to see. That's my plan.

Last edited:
I just saw the guy interviewed. He's getting tons of job offers. Also, he didn't lock them in--he pushed one of the guys up against the automatic door which caused it to freeze (as designed).

This 100%.

If this was a violent crime maybe I'd change my opinion, but petty theft from CVS isn't worth anyone's life to stop it.

This is exactly what I was thinking.

Well he may or may not have been foolish. Bottom line, I admire him for having a set of balls and would like to tell CVS that their policy like so many other businesses' policies of a similar fashion, are part and parcel to what I consider the GIGANTIC emasculation and pussification of America. It's everywhere and seemingly contagious.

THIS

He was, apparently, management.

He should have known the company policy.

If he did, and breached it, he should be fired (if it's a fireable offense).

He should ( and based on above posts [smile]) get offers of employment from companies that value initiative.

Not saying that the corporate policy is "right", but it is the policy, and the guy agreed to be bound by them.

I once had a customer "hold me up" with a banana. It was exposed, so it was not an actual "weapon" [laugh]. I told him that:
1) I wasn't carrying;
2) I wasn't paid to protect the money, and
3) I didn't care! [laugh]

Policy, it's what they have at work.

Last edited:

Ah, yeah I would. The cops could collect whatever was left of them after my well armed and trained family finished treating them for a lead deficiency.

Fear of litigation has caused much of this BS.

Didn't stop me from locking thiefs inside the store with a screwdriver ready waiting for police. And while I can understand stealing from a billion dollar company....

Huh ?[thinking] Thievery is thievery, and it doesn't matter who the victim is. A thief is a scumbag , and just because the target is a billion dollar company, it does not change the fact.

Here is your million dollar idea that should make you rich beyond your wildest dreams.. Someone should invent a system that instead of just locking the exit door, locks the door behind them as well. Effectively caging the perp in a bullet proof cell.
Then you could calmly wait for the police to arrive while the scumbag was locked safely in his Lexan cell with the stolen merchandise.

Ive worked in a big box store... simply put only those specially trained in apprehension can have anything to do with it. Lawyers are the underlying reason... a combination of employee safety and avoiding detaining the wrong person. Supposedly the lead dude in charge of it at the store I worked at lost eye contact with a shoplifter for like 5 seconds before apprehending them, self reported, and was fired as soon as higher saw the report.

Mike

Sent from my cell phone with a tiny keyboard and large thumbs...

this guy was a very brave ****ing moron. What is he risking the life of himself and innocent customers for, $400 in the cash register? I 100% agree with CVS to fire this idiot.

The ONLY reason he should intervene is if he seriously thinks one of the perps was going to harm someone, and then it should have been intervention with deadly force

I understand that the manager was going off of instinct, but company policy is policy. I used to work asset protection for a retailer, and the protocol for theft was to gather information, let them (the theives) leave and call 911.

Companies do not want to be held liable for an unforseen outcome from a "hero".

At the end of the day it is not your money or possessions, the important thing are lives that can not be replaced. CVS would just call their insurance company and recoup

Back
Top Bottom