• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Army testing electric powered vehicles.

Who makes this shit up?

First of all, the Battle of 73 Easting - where a single Armored Cavalry Troop destroyed a Republican Guards Brigade in 11 minutes - says all you need to know about Russian tanks.

JFK the Army buys an electric pickup and some people NES loose their f***ing minds. Most of whom have never even been near a tank. An M1 holds 520 gallons of fuel. To go 300 miles - maybe.

Read the article.

“In July, the Army awarded a $67,500 contract to Canoo, a mobility company based outside Fort Worth, for one of their light tactical vehicles that will be part of a wide-ranging test effort next year.”

Last edited:
Comparing a tracked vehicle made for off road and battle, to a wheeled vehicle made to operate on roads and efficiently move loads and weight from here to there is a classic apples to oranges comparison. Yes, inflated rubber tires, lots of them, on flat paved roads can move weight more efficiently from place to place than a tracked vehicle operating cross country. Thank you Captain Obvious!!!

Way to miss the forest though the trees lady nitpicker.

The ripsaw 5 is a treaded hybrid electric tank running at 10 tons and 45mph with a 300 mile range.

Thinking this isn't the future is pearl clutching, or should I say 1911 clutching?

Last edited:
Comparing a tracked vehicle made for off road and battle, to a wheeled vehicle made to operate on roads and efficiently move loads and weight from here to there is a classic apples to oranges comparison. Yes, inflated rubber tires, lots of them, on flat paved roads can move weight more efficiently from place to place than a tracked vehicle operating cross country. Thank you Captain Obvious!!!
I think he missed the weight of the Abrams by 40,000
And the parts are easy only because they come from china,
The batteries do more damage to the environment in the manufacturing and disposal than any diesel
And the Tesla truck would hope to get that mileage, Ask the people in Philly why the 25 electric buses are sitting
A great philosopher once said
Leftest have more ways for the world to end than a dog has fleas,
1670643031456.png

Reread the post - I agree that Pattons fuel supply issues would not have been solved if he had EV powered equipment.
However, if a country has fuel production limitations then every non-combat EV allows that fuel usage to be diverted to combat usage - can't burn coal in a tank but you can use it to charge an EV.
I'm not trying to be (too) difficult, and it probably doesn't detract from your point, but some people might not know that Nazu Germany used coal to make synthetic oil and gas. Just saying.

I'm not trying to be (too) difficult, and it probably doesn't detract from your point, but some people might not know that Nazu Germany used coal to make synthetic oil and gas. Just saying.
I absolutely knew that.
If they had modern battery technology they would have used it to power EVs where appropriate in order to save fuel usage for the front lines.
Generating electricity to charge batteries would be a much easier and more efficient use of the coal.

Tough to use when the power grid is down. But I can see in certain situation that they could be useful.

Back
Top Bottom