• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Army Finds 94-Year-Old .50-Caliber M2, Never Serviced, Still Works Great

The only change to the m2 to become the m2a1 is the quick change Barrel and receiver system. For you guys that have been behind the m2......all it means is you don't need the headspace and timing gauge and the proceedure that goes with it to assemble it for operation. Everything else is the same old faithful ma deuce.

My A5 shotgun is its smaller cousin....though it only dates to ~1935-ish. [laugh]

I have a Remington Model 11 12gauge. They were licensed copies of the A5. I had never had any experience with the A5/ variants until I bought mine and took it apart for cleaning. What a genius design!
I was out and about on my birthday several years ago and stopped into one of the LGS's to look for ammo. I saw that model 11 sitting on the used long gun rack and asked to see it. $150 on the price tag was a no-brainer. Grabbed it as a spur of the moment birthday gift to myself and now it's my favorite pheasant/ trap gun. It was made in 1942

darn it. That gun was there when I was there for my basic training. I'm pissed I didn't find it...lol

I have a Remington Model 11 12gauge. They were licensed copies of the A5. I had never had any experience with the A5/ variants until I bought mine and took it apart for cleaning. What a genius design!
I was out and about on my birthday several years ago and stopped into one of the LGS's to look for ammo. I saw that model 11 sitting on the used long gun rack and asked to see it. $150 on the price tag was a no-brainer. Grabbed it as a spur of the moment birthday gift to myself and now it's my favorite pheasant/ trap gun. It was made in 1942
I have a 1969 browning a5 and love that shotgun. Taken many rabbits and pheasant with it. It's fun at the trap range too. Lots of guys newer to the sport ask me about it......I always take the time to go off to the side with them and field strip it and then show them how the long recoil principal works. None of the folks I've showed it to had any idea how it worked and were amazed when I they saw how the barrel recoils into the receiver. Browning was a genius.

Sorry about the thread hijack.

Spent hundreds of hours behind an m2 in the turret in Iraq on convoy security. It's an amazing weapon system.

My Remington Model 11 dates to 1937, still a fine shooter.

Hard to believe that the US Army lost something like this....my grandfather got a ration of crap for not having his spare bootlaces and for missing a button, or the proper form for replacement, when he mustered out after WWII

Back
Top Bottom