Army Drops Universal Camouflage After Spending Billions

This probably would have worked miles better than ACU in Afghanistan and just about anywhere else.....Update the fabrics and armor and roll with it.

inf.jpg

Jose said:
This probably would have worked miles better than ACU in Afghanistan and just about anywhere else.....Update the fabrics and armor and roll with it.

um, no thanks. [laugh]

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Dench said:
What? You don't want to go to war in business casual?

before your time, the Army actually explored a kahki uniform for garrision. [laugh]

um, no thanks. [laugh]

My point was not to go to war today looking like a re-enactor.

My point was that the old WW2 OD shades (in a modern style) would have worked FAR better than some grey day-glo uniform.

before your time, the Army actually explored a kahki uniform for garrision. [laugh]

and your time [rofl]

My point was not to go to war today looking like a re-enactor.

My point was that the old WW2 OD shades (in a modern style) would have worked FAR better than some grey day-glo uniform.

yeah the ACU is about as bad as it could of gotten. OD would of been much better.

I will change one thing about the rant I had earlier; the ACU's UCP did work awesome when they weren't washed for 15-17 days and you were trying to blend in with a building hit by a JDAM. Though, after about 15 days the crotch was always ripped.

I will change one thing about the rant I had earlier; the ACU's UCP did work awesome when they weren't washed for 15-17 days and you were trying to blend in with a building hit by a JDAM. Though, after about 15 days the crotch was always ripped.

i was in 2/14 during OIF 1. i think your company had just got back from one of the "Stans".... anyway, that freaking sweat circle that developed on our DCU's gave 70% of us a heat rash after rolling around in full gear.

i haven't been over to the sand box since then, but seeing that new ACU / under armor shirt may have remedied that issue.

i waited until the last minute to purchase ACU's with my clothing allowance because i am a bad ass who loved his summer BDU's, a nice steam iron press and jungle boots with a high shine. [laugh]

then i gave in to the lighter fabric, easier maintenance and instantly liked the ACU. but it does have it's faults. i've only worn ACU's in an austere environment for short periods of time, but i've worn BDU's / DCU's plenty over longer durations..

i'd say my preference still slides towards the a BDU's for every NOT Iraq / Afghanistan in the hot ass summer. for everything else, the ACU.

the only pants i like wearing "out and about" if i get a chance are my issued 5.11's and old pairs of summer BDU / DCU's... zero crotch rot. [rofl]

then again, i still wear my Tighty Sandies and Tighty Brownies in uniform. [smile]

Last edited:
i am a bad ass who loved his summer BDU's, a nice steam iron press and jungle boots with a high shine
I loved rockin' my starched-stiff summers with green jungles. A particular pair of green jungles I wore with great pride were a leftover pair my Father had from Vietnam that he gave me.
I preferred my 3-color DCUs to my Stormin' Norman chocolate-chips.

-JR

No, nothing has won yet. The Army is still "looking" at replacing UCP - that doesn't mean they will. The camo trials are still in process..

quote by Alohadoug:
"As for the old Woodland pattern, shiny boots, and berets...The only place that the Woodland camo was/is effective is the Fulda Gap in Germany. That was the only place that it was ever tested or intended to be worn. It's a Cold War relic that needed to be replaced."

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

From your perspective, I don't doubt you. It's inadvertently a great pattern for the forests of north America, especially up here in the northeast. For example I've 3 times managed to walk up on deer in their beds, without them getting up, and all 3 times I was head to foot dressed in Woodland, including hat. I've twice now sat on a rock at a trail side and had people walk by, less than 10 feet away, and never even seen me. For my camo needs, the stuff is great. I have a set of Multicam BDUs, and it also works well, but only time will tell if I can do the same things with it.

View attachment 33921

Above is a photo I took of one of the bedded deer. Note that I am close enough to illuminate her with the camera flash. She is aware that something is there, but being in the camo she was unable to figure out I was a human until a few minutes later when I spoke to her. Then she casually got up and walked away.

Last edited:
Casual? He's out of uniform, he's missing his field scarf. Hell, they went to war wearing ties.

I'm not sure how good of an idea it is to have something around your neck (a tie) that can be completly used against you in hand to hand combat. The collar on my ACU/BDU was dangerous enough, never mind something tied around my friggen neck on top of it [rofl]

That old uniform looks fantastic, I would think it would be cool to see the old WW2 garrison uniforms come back, but damn are they not safe and not utilitarian enough for combat.

quote by Alohadoug:
"As for the old Woodland pattern, shiny boots, and berets...The only place that the Woodland camo was/is effective is the Fulda Gap in Germany. That was the only place that it was ever tested or intended to be worn. It's a Cold War relic that needed to be replaced."

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

From your perspective, I don't doubt you. It's inadvertently a great pattern for the forests of north America, especially up here in the northeast. For example I've 3 times managed to walk up on deer in their beds, without them getting up, and all 3 times I was head to foot dressed in Woodland, including hat. I've twice now sat on a rock at a trail side and had people walk by, less than 10 feet away, and never even seen me. For my camo needs, the stuff is great. I have a set of Multicam BDUs, and it also works well, but only time will tell if I can do the same things with it.

View attachment 33921

Above is a photo I took of one of the bedded deer. Note that I am close enough to illuminate her with the camera flash. She is aware that something is there, but being in the camo she was unable to figure out I was a human until a few minutes later when I spoke to her. Then she casually got up and walked away.

While I agree that woodland works good in our northeastern woods - but to my surprise..so does the universal camo ACU pattern - especially with sunlight coming through the trees.

I did this comparison a few years ago at Quabbin reservoir:

acu1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom