Army Drops Universal Camouflage After Spending Billions

Reptile

NES Member
Multi Cam wins out...

After eight years and billions of dollars, the Army has given up on an ambitious effort to clothe its soldiers in a "universal camouflage pattern." The grey uniform, widely issued and widely loathed, was supposed to blend in equally well in all environments, from desert sand to green forest to city streets. It just didn't. Now the Army's going back to the old, obvious approach of having different designs for different places.

"It definitely makes a difference in Afghanistan, because Afghanistan is primarily brown, and there's no brown in the universal pattern," said one Army officer who's deployed wearing the universal camouflage, also called the Advanced Combat Uniform (ACU). Under pressure from unhappy soldiers and the late Rep. John Murtha, the Army had already given up on the universal pattern for troops in Afghanistan, who now wear a "multi-cam" design better suited to the terrain.

(cont.)
http://defense.aol.com/2012/06/25/a...ns/?ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000058?test=latestnews

wow, about time... it was only the least effective camouflage pattern the army has used since dark blue was in. Thanks for wasting billions on equipment we don't want or need, and making the equipment we do want and use against regulation... Now, if they would only figure out that a camo pattern designed to work in more than one enviroment, doesn't work in any we could save the next 8 Billion they'll waste. I can't wait to get re-issued all the gear I already have... and the ACU mixing with Multi-cam mish-mash which will happen for about a year. Bastards...

End rant

That was one of the worst ideas in the first place.they only went that route because the marines went to the marpat design but they were atleast smart enough to have atleast mutiple designs for different enviorments.

Now if this piece of mental retardation would go away as well.....

USN_NWU1.jpg

Dumbass can't even stand at attention correctly

I never got why the Navy did that. Cammo envy?

Now if this piece of mental retardation would go away as well.....

USN_NWU1.jpg

Dumbass can't even stand at attention correctly

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Love the comments. It's the Marine's fault because they have a nice camo pattern but won't share. [rofl]

Armynurseboy said:
The Marines are actually the ones to blame for starting this whole thing. They had a decent pattern, but refused to let anyone else wear it. There is absolutely no reason for each service to be wearing different pattern uniforms.

The people that forced ACU of Multicam should be in jail.

Most retarded cammo scheme ever. All the photos I have of me in the .mil doing stupid shit wherever have all the soldiers in ACU sticking out no matter the background. We might as well of worn friggen neon orange.

I think it was developed by the Army at Natick labs.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I think your right. At the Harvard new members meeting, a woman introduced herself and said she was a lead developer in creating a new camo for the Army.

The new pattern they are working on at DARPA is pictured below.

It is the new cloaking pattern.

Camo should be a color similar to the environment that the soldier is in.

I can see how it would take the government $8b to figure that out.

Why don't the good folks at Natick Army Labs just take a trip to Cabelas? Real Tree and Mossy Oak seems to get the whole camouflage thing better than the military.

hunting a different animal... in the last 20 years, in a very different environment. Not a lot of deer in the desert.
Understood. I played the game in Iraq. The point I was making is the civilian companies seem to make more effective patterns for the various environments.

This is going to cost me thousands of dollars to replace all my tacti-cool stuff. /s

Back
Top Bottom