Army Aviators told that they owe another three years??

Then again, he could have gotten the CAR when he was an enlisted man, too. It might have had nothing to do with his aviation career. Again, a DD214 would tell you his enlisted MOS and whether he was over in SEA as an EM.

Bullshite, Zips in the wire every other night,122's Katyusha rockets raining down on the flight line and aviation maintenance and O & Crew hootches. They hated us for good reason, but no CIB's for all that work...
As you know Im sure, you have to be an Infantryman to get a CIB.
The USMC does things differently.
Anybody is eligible for the Combat Action Ribbon if they meet the requirements.

Eligibility per Wikipedia.
For a military member to be awarded a Combat Action Ribbon evidence must establish the member engaged the enemy, was under hostile fire, or was physically attacked by the enemy. The service member must have demonstrated satisfactory performance under enemy fire while actively participating in a ground or surface engagement.[5] The Combat Action Ribbon will not be awarded to personnel for aerial combat, since the Strike/flight Air Medal provides recognition for aerial combat exposure; however, a pilot, flight officer/navigator, or other crew member forced to escape or evade, after being forced down, may be eligible for the award
He has an Air Medal and a Distinguished Flying Cross also.

Then again, he could have gotten the CAR when he was an enlisted man, too. It might have had nothing to do with his aviation career. Again, a DD214 would tell you his enlisted MOS and whether he was over in SEA as an EM.
My Mother in Law was sure he only went overseas as a Pilot.

Bullshite, Zips in the wire every other night,122's Katyusha rockets raining down on the flight line and aviation maintenance and O & Crew hootches. They hated us for good reason, but no CIB's for all that work...
No? They lost a few A4's in one of those attacks- sounds like a bigger deal than the usual.

You are right about the 'zips' and their night time attacks. I'm guessing that they were targeting the O hootches as Dad's only injury happened during such a night when he was hauling ass from his hootch to a foxhole but had to hit the dirt before reaching it. I didn't really understand why he would do that as he had shown me pics of his hootch and only the roof of the tent was above ground and sandbags. If those were specifically being targeted that explains why he would bail out, otherwise it seemed like a good spot to avoid enemy fire.

SO MUCH of any individual soldier's decision to stay or go depends on his immediate chain of command. A good battalion commander knows how to make the Army feel awesome every day; a lesser leader shows up, and people haemorrhage. I saw it happen: we were the best battalion in FORSCOM when I got there after a long chain of great commanders, then they swapped out a very capable BC for a political hack and people couldn't leave that battalion fast enough.

A lot of them were guys who'd been in those units for five or six or even eight years, troopers who had reenlisted (TWICE!) specifically to stay in that battalion.

Absolutely spot on.

I had my reenlistment paperwork being drawn up at the time my division was combined with another which was run by a chief that was an a$$hole and resented people in my rate. He is the sole reason I changed my decision and got out.

Absolutely spot on.

I had my reenlistment paperwork being drawn up at the time my division was combined with another which was run by a chief that was an a$$hole and resented people in my rate. He is the sole reason I changed my decision and got out.

It's sad when that happens.

There were a couple of reasons I got out when I did, but when they put a selfish moron in command of me it made the decision a very, very easy one.

Isn't flight duty a volunteer position?

Be a pisser if these guys get extended and turn in their wings to be supply officers for the next three years.

Trying to raise a family while deployed sucks. I don't blame these guys for wanting to wait to get out. I deployed with two small ones at home, and retired shortly after coming home. That's the only way I knew I wouldn't deploy any more (I was always the idiot that volunteered), and didn't see much point in staying in if I wasn't going to deploy.

Yeah, being on airborne status is “voluntary” too. But try being a jump refusal and watch what happens to you.

Yeah, being on airborne status is “voluntary” too. But try being a jump refusal and watch what happens to you.

What will they do, stamp "no dessert" on their meal cards? They're already being screwed raw, what's a little more at this point? At least now they'd be screwing back against the big green weenie.

What will they do, stamp "no dessert" on their meal cards? They're already being screwed raw, what's a little more at this point? At least now they'd be screwing back against the big green weenie.

Well sure, but the Green Weenie can always screw you harder.

Jump refusals get UCMJ. Even though all they're doing is "un-volunteering."

They need to befriend some E4s and learn the arts of Shamming and Skating. They should bring a couple cartons of cigarettes to the smoke pit and find out how the Lower Enlisted Trash and Scum (LETS) operate to appear to be following orders while simultaneously causing paperwork, headaches and damage to the morale of superior officers.

Back
Top Bottom