Armslist Translations

180 GRAIN FMJ

NES Member
As I am sure most are aware, Armslist sucks. It is kinda funny though, in a tragic sort of way. Here are some funny translations from my experiences. Please add more for entertainment;

Like New = 5000 rounds through it, never cleaned, ran an oily rag over the surface and used a Motorola Razor to take pics in a dark room so that you can’t see how bad it really is

Less Than 100 Rounds Fired / Safe Queen = 10,000 of steel cased Russian crap ran through it – never cleaned, carried daily for 8 years IWB next to my sweaty sack

No Trades = would you take my Sears and Roebuck bolt action .20 gauge in even trade for your Wilson Combat 1911 CQB Elite?

Very Interested! = you will never hear from me again, I found something else, screw you

Hard to Find in Mass = sold at virtually every gun shop around for $100 less

"Own Himmler's Luger P.08! for $25,000.00"
iu

~Larry Himmler, Des Moines, IA

1. Those that don't sell firearms in 45 years clearly just haven't bought ENOUGH guns to sell some of them. Lightweight! LOL

2. "Will not ship." Always with something that won't EVER sell in their AO. Like, EVER. Commonly a part, not even a frame/firearm. Could ship for a few bucks. "Nope. I'm going to list it here and wait for someone to come by and gimme sum munny."

You guys actually sell guns! (LOL) in my 45 years of firearm ownership I sold exactly 1 firearm and I still regret it to this day.

I've only ever regretted about maybe? 6 out of all I've sold.... and of course, those were ones I had to do under duress, to get the cash I needed at the
time... otherwise I wouldn't have sold them. The other guns I've sold... don't miss them at all.

-Mike

Every WWII Walther P38 was captured from a German officer. Funny my uncle bought his at a French cafe for $20 in 1946.

My personal favorite "I'll meet you at XXXX at such a time" and then no show.

My last sale went off without a hitch.

Pretty sure my posting said "FTF or FFL transfer at (MY FFL), I will pay the fee if required. No, I will not ship it, No I will not let a courier give me money and pick it up, no I won't be taking anything but cash face to face, no I won't let a courier pick it up because you're out of the country, and its unlikely I'm going to drive a few hours out of my way to a dark parking lot to get ghosted." And then I added a line about price negotiation being fine, but I was going to keep a preban mag for every $20.

It was harsh, but worked like a charm- I had 3 interested parties, 1 was a scammer to whom I could just point to the posting and tell em to f*** off, the second ghosting me on a meeting time, and the third scooped it while waiting for the 2nd's reply that never came.

Meeting went off flawlessly, I got the impression I described the gun perfectly to the buyer, and I let the buyer disassemble and test things.

Every WWII Walther P38 was captured from a German officer. Funny my uncle bought his at a French cafe in 1946.

Gotta remember those "nickel plated" officer models everyone has.

Have a friend with one and the chrome job is flaking off exposing the original bluing underneath. [rolleyes]

"Would you be willing to drive to meet me so I can take a look?"

= I have nothing better to do but am too lazy or cheap to drive to meet you. I will look at the gun and vacillate for 1-1/2 hours before deciding that I really want a completely different firearm aka you have an AR and I decide that what I really want is a side by side shotgun.

Applies equally to NES as it would for Armspits.

“Bro, I’ll buy it. Cash” translates loosely into, “I have no intentions of buying your item at asking price but will waste your time responding to a bunch of dumb questions. If you accept my lowball offer, I’ll stand you up”

I am so sick of Armslist flakes and tire kickers..

“I am interested in the item you have for sale and would like to purchase it” = “I am a dirtbag scammer trying to bait you into accepting a fake money order.”

Armslist is FULL of scammers, both sellers and buyers. I refuse to meet any buyer than at my location due to no shows. If they won't drive to me, no deal.

if disappointed by armslist would reconsider your expectations. it catches a much larger # of people than NES. don't make yourself vulnerable and it works fine.

+1 for knowing what a Motorola Razor is/was.

The most useless words in an Armslist ad:

“Rare.” Really? You need to tell buyers this?
“I paid xxx for it,” or it’s weaker cousin, “I just want out what I’ve got in it.” Yeah, well, wouldn’t we all. Not sure that’s how the market works.
“Firm.” Yeah, maybe for the first few days.
“No lowball offers.” And lowball would be...? Anything below your outrageous price.

Armslist can actually be fun if you have the right attitude going in.

Threads like this make me appreciate all of the fine stand up NES members I have met over the years.

I agree......99% have been positive, and never a no show. You can probably get more $$ on Armslist, but you'll go thru more BS. It does have a much greater audience.

Sure there a few, "Ill take it and no contact ever again".......but those are usually the newbies, and they immediately get put on the "never sell anything again to" list.

Armslist is FULL of scammers, both sellers and buyers. I refuse to meet any buyer than at my location due to no shows. If they won't drive to me, no deal.

+1 My complication rate from Armslist is significantly higher than NES because of the crazy amount of scammers and wasted time - it’s more and more that I think that the increased prices from sales on Armslist isn’t worth the time or effort and that NES is the only way to go!

Armslist is very much a mixed bag for me. All three guns I’ve ever sold have been through armslist if I’m not mistaken, as well as some ammo. I also made one trade. I have never bought any there but have bought one and a few accessories through NES. NES people are generally a lot more knowledgeable and normal.

They’re also more skinflinty. I say that as a sometimes skinflint.

I always put. “If this ad is still up then it’s still available” in there. Invariably I get about 10 replies of “iz it stil avalable?”.

The only deal I have ever seen go wrong was setup via NES. It was not my deal but I was present to help a friend through the efa10 process. The seller showed up with an expired LTC. Then tried to get my buddy to force through the transfer as a “surrender to police”, which did not happen.

As others have said I won’t travel more than 20 minutes for armslist.

I had a feeling that Armslist was the Craigslist of the gun world and now I know.
Like Craigslist I’ve found you just need to feel it out. Grammar seems to say a lot about the persons reliability. If they ask legitimate questions it’s usually a good sign.

Back
Top Bottom