Armslist Scammers Migrating to NES?

I expect scammers on Armslist but I have never encountered one on NES until now. They must not want to pay for the new subscription fees over there.

Haydenbrooks27 sent me a PM regarding a WTB listing I have posted. He referred me to contact [email protected]

I contacted Mark, but it turned out to be a scam. Thankfully I spotted it a mile away.

Stay vigilant folks.

I ran into similar thing in selling some rifles recently. Not sure if scammers or trolls. A couple of responses from individuals with following characteristics

non green
very short time ( week or two) or two years on board (what is with Jan 2018 and Dec 2019 joining date for trolls?)
no posts no likes no feedback ratings (in one or two years?)
A single dumb question not related to item
This will be popular. Is it available?
where do you live? ( general location for transfer was in the ad)
Do you still have it?

I mean hey, they might be legit members of the NES community, but I didn’t take time to find out.

I've been noticing this as well in the WTB section. I posted in there a couple times in the last couple months and I got contacted mostly by people who had an account created a day or two prior to contacting me with no posts, no comments on the account profile. SKETCHY!

I encountered this last week after I place a WTB for a pistol. Was contacted by a newbie with no posts or messages trying to get me to contact him via a text message. Username was Maple.

Just happened to me today, PM on a WTB directing me to email his buddy who had one for sale. Smelled fishy, but I reached out anyway. Buddy replied, sent me a picture of the rifle, indicated he was located in Texas, would ship UPS and to send him $650 which is almost half the cost of a Model 70 Featherweight.

Dropped the image into google reverse image search, and it turned up an ad from 2018, on Armslist, from 2018, located in Oregon.

User is Anderson629, account created yesterday, no feedback or post history.

Same user also sent me a PM today. He must know a lot of guys selling guns :)

Just happened to me today, PM on a WTB directing me to email his buddy who had one for sale. Smelled fishy, but I reached out anyway. Buddy replied, sent me a picture of the rifle, indicated he was located in Texas, would ship UPS and to send him $650 which is almost half the cost of a Model 70 Featherweight.

Dropped the image into google reverse image search, and it turned up an ad from 2018, on Armslist, from 2018, located in Oregon.

Classic arms list scam. Damn.

I've been noticing this as well in the WTB section. I posted in there a couple times in the last couple months and I got contacted mostly by people who had an account created a day or two prior to contacting me with no posts, no comments on the account profile. SKETCHY!

This actually isn't that unusual. A lot of people I've sold things to the past are people with new accounts.

this is my classified experience from a while back. i just quoted my own post.
i was just remembering the time i was selling several boxes of black talon .40 s&w ammo. i had 10 boxes, 9 new and one i had taken my carry ammo from...so we'll say a used box. was up in the classifieds for a while @ $75/box of 20. i had a guy from texas, who had joined nes the day he contacted me via pm, obviously no prior posts or rep, wanting to buy the ammo with no haggling over price. he ended up buying 8 boxes for the price i was asking, $75 ea. plus shipping costs. don't believe me, here's the amended ad i still have up trying to sell the remaining 2 boxes after a price drop.
i remember posting here before i sold it to him to get opinions on the transaction before i committed. i boxed up the ammo, went to ups in chelmsford, they put the orm-d stickers on and weighed it for me and i headed home to give the guy the total price. it was ~$630. he sent a postal money order out 2nd day fedex!

damn right his money was green. he never logged back on again.
i have the 2 left over boxes up now. hope this guy from texas wants another go!

New to the site. Figured I'd post here to say
hi to everyone, rather than start a new thread and annoy everyone. As for the name - I use it for other forums, mostly fly fishing related. I'm a Western Ma**h*** getting into projects more than going to the range lately. Hope you all are good. This site's great. Happy New Year.

I ran into similar thing in selling some rifles recently. Not sure if scammers or trolls. A couple of responses from individuals with following characteristics

non green
very short time ( week or two) or two years on board (what is with Jan 2018 and Dec 2019 joining date for trolls?)
no posts no likes no feedback ratings (in one or two years?)
A single dumb question not related to item
This will be popular. Is it available?
where do you live? ( general location for transfer was in the ad)
Do you still have it?

I mean hey, they might be legit members of the NES community, but I didn’t take time to find out.
I got the exact same questions over a 2 week period, took me 3 seconds to type an answer.

Made the sale not long after the 10th question.

Same deal here... I responded by PM that I don’t message random email addresses with WTB and if his friend had anything to sell he should send me info through PM... It seems easy enough to spot this crap — if it’s too good to be true it, it probably is...

I recently put up a couple things wts, got a few suspicious inquiries. If I'm at all skeptical I just ask for a picture of their LTC or FID and make sure it's valid first, never had an issue. I only do in-person transactions on here unless it's with someone I've met or someone with a legitimate business.

Back
Top Bottom