• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Armslist Scammers Migrating to NES?

I had this happen to me here a little while back. Always search other boards to see if the add exists (gunbroker, armslist, etc). While cross posting happens, look for price discrpencies and other details as well:

I've been noticing this as well in the WTB section. I posted in there a couple times in the last couple months and I got contacted mostly by people who had an account created a day or two prior to contacting me with no posts, no comments on the account profile. SKETCHY!

I encountered this last week after I place a WTB for a pistol. Was contacted by a newbie with no posts or messages trying to get me to contact him via a text message. Username was Maple.

Just happened to me today, PM on a WTB directing me to email his buddy who had one for sale. Smelled fishy, but I reached out anyway. Buddy replied, sent me a picture of the rifle, indicated he was located in Texas, would ship UPS and to send him $650 which is almost half the cost of a Model 70 Featherweight.

Dropped the image into google reverse image search, and it turned up an ad from 2018, on Armslist, from 2018, located in Oregon.

User is Anderson629, account created yesterday, no feedback or post history.

Got two different emails through Armslist on WTB posts. I asked "how much", and mentioned pre-Covid prices. Amazingly, the prices they wanted, shipped, were well below current prices. Both "sent documents" without me requesting them, to show they were "legit". One did a copy of a DL and their "local FFL dealer". Other one sent a copy of a DL and 03. Wanted to ship to my dealer - after I told him mine only accepted from other FFL's (dealers, not collectors - "seller" was shipping an "01" firearm). Names/addresses matched "real people' through a search but...who sends that stuff with out being asked? Also, they wanted online payment or postal MO. Both were worded almost exactly the same, for two different firearms. I'm assuming they scammed someone else and were just forwarding their ID's/Licenses. After payment, I'm sure they'd disappear. A couple of weeks later, "Charles01" showed up here, replied to my WTB and used almost identical wording in his message. If it smells like a fish...

For Gods sake deal with people who have a reputation.

ArmsList does not offer that.

GunBroker and NES show reputations and have feedback.

Back
Top Bottom