Arming teachers poll

I'm hoping someone here can pour some facts on what my guts are telling me. My guts tell me that a rent-a-cop is very unlikely to place his life between the kids and a shooter. For the security guard, it's just a job. On the other hand, a teacher, a good one that cares, is much more emotionally invested in the kids. Does anyone here have real knowledge that can speak to if a security guard is likely to advance towards the sound of gunfire, or shelter in place with whoever is in his area and wait for backup to arrive (or immediately leave through the nearest window)?

ETA: I'm not saying a trained guard is a bad thing, especially when a large SWAT team rolls up. Having someone trained in how and what to communicate can save lives. But with our without a guard or two, I think having a few armed, and well trained, teachers scattered about the school is a very good idea. Training should be a prerequisite for the teachers.

Teachers, like most Public Employees are Left of center. They wouldn't touch a gun under any condition. And frankly you wouldn't want them to.

Although you are correct that MANY teachers are "left of center", we're NOT all like minded. Many of us actually have our LTC's but because we are a minority, we tend to keep silent. Of the team of teachers I currently work with, four of the five of us have our LTCs and the fifth one is talking about getting hers, too. You shouldn't be so quick to make the statement that you wouldn't want teachers armed as we are dedicated to serving our students and if that means training to carry in the classroom, I bet there would be quite a few of us stepping forward to volunteer to do so.

An argument I hear most often is that teachers aren't trained nor do they have time to train. Which is odd considering they work 8 months a year....but let that go for a minute..

How much training does a regular town police officer have with a Gun? I'm not familiar with their training protocol. Can anyone fill me in?

I would assume working 40 hours a week 8 months a year allows more then ample time for someone to attain training if they desire it. I work in construction and put in more time than any teacher and still find time to take classes and practice on my own. Training isn't really expensive.

Yes it is true, I work "40 hours a week 8 months a year".... NOT. I will not get into a debate over the amount of hours teachers spend doing their job as that's not really the important issue here. If you want to know how much a teacher works, get to know one and spend some time with them. What I will say is that those of us who would be willing to get trained to carry in the classroom, would make the time to get specialized training and even at our own expense. I know I would. As far as practicing, I try to get to the range at least once a week because practice makes permanent after all.

... I guess they have less time to train than police.

Maybe they can use one of their many "teacher training" days at the range.

You would never hear me say something like that. I am the son of a retired police officer so I know how much police work and train. As far as our teacher training days, I would welcome productive training. Usually the administration hires expensive "experts" who lecture us on common sense topics irrelevant to classroom instruction. The best recent training I have taken part in was the ALICE training done by the local police department. It was a nice change to be instructed on various courses of action rather than the inaction we were instructed to do in the past. In fact, we will be having another three day ALICE training coming up in March where the students will actually take part in the training, too.

I voted YES.

upload_2018-2-22_18-50-1.png

Although you are correct that MANY teachers are "left of center", we're NOT all like minded. Many of us actually have our LTC's but because we are a minority, we tend to keep silent. Of the team of teachers I currently work with, four of the five of us have our LTCs and the fifth one is talking about getting hers, too. You shouldn't be so quick to make the statement that you wouldn't want teachers armed as we are dedicated to serving our students and if that means training to carry in the classroom, I bet there would be quite a few of us stepping forward to volunteer to do so.

Yes it is true, I work "40 hours a week 8 months a year".... NOT. I will not get into a debate over the amount of hours teachers spend doing their job as that's not really the important issue here. If you want to know how much a teacher works, get to know one and spend some time with them. What I will say is that those of us who would be willing to get trained to carry in the classroom, would make the time to get specialized training and even at our own expense. I know I would. As far as practicing, I try to get to the range at least once a week because practice makes permanent after all.

You would never hear me say something like that. I am the son of a retired police officer so I know how much police work and train. As far as our teacher training days, I would welcome productive training. Usually the administration hires expensive "experts" who lecture us on common sense topics irrelevant to classroom instruction. The best recent training I have taken part in was the ALICE training done by the local police department. It was a nice change to be instructed on various courses of action rather than the inaction we were instructed to do in the past. In fact, we will be having another three day ALICE training coming up in March where the students will actually take part in the training, too.

I voted YES.

View attachment 222858
My mom is a teacher. I know how much they work and how much my employees work. Not even in the same realm. Important thing is you admit teachers that would be willing to carry would be willing to train...which is awesome.
I've just heard the argument that they have enough to worry about and work too much to be trained...erronious info

Teachers, like most Public Employees are Left of center. They wouldn't touch a gun under any condition. And frankly you wouldn't want them to.

Horseshit. There are at least four LTCs on the teaching staff at my very typical and ordinary public school, and those are just the ones I know about. We go shooting all the time, and yes, one of them is otherwise a moonbat. We talk about this subject constantly.

Quit generalizing.

I’ve posted this on one of the 5,872 other threads on this topic, but my feeling is that armed teachers are best off staying in their rooms with the kids they’re responsible for, ready to blast whatever comes through the door. KISS would be the rule with armed staff. You don’t want them clearing hallways and getting in SWAT’s way, or at least I don’t. Advanced training would be expensive, difficult to sustain, and probably unnecessary as long as they stay put and stay defensive.

I'm hoping someone here can pour some facts on what my guts are telling me. My guts tell me that a rent-a-cop is very unlikely to place his life between the kids and a shooter. For the security guard, it's just a job. On the other hand, a teacher, a good one that cares, is much more emotionally invested in the kids. Does anyone here have real knowledge that can speak to if a security guard is likely to advance towards the sound of gunfire, or shelter in place with whoever is in his area and wait for backup to arrive (or immediately leave through the nearest window)?

ETA: I'm not saying a trained guard is a bad thing, especially when a large SWAT team rolls up. Having someone trained in how and what to communicate can save lives. But with our without a guard or two, I think having a few armed, and well trained, teachers scattered about the school is a very good idea. Training should be a prerequisite for the teachers.

Forget about rent-a-cops; a SWORN LEO waited four minutes outside the school in Parkland without running toward the guns.

Yes. I’d trust teachers more. My school happens to have an excellent and highly aggressive SRO, and I’m pretty sure she’d go banzai against a school shooter, but she can’t be everywhere. Even lefty teachers, in my experience, are generally pretty selfless where their students are concerned.

Retired HS teacher. Taught 35 years, 30 in Ma. and 5 in Pa. Also was a volunteer EMT in Pa. for 5 years. Army ROTC in college, but medically discharged just before receiving my commission. Have seen a lot. Just my opinion, but many teachers should and could carry. I would. Some NO WAY. We need rules and regulations that work. First a deterrent, and then mental health.

Bernie

Forget about rent-a-cops; a SWORN LEO waited four minutes outside the school in Parkland without running toward the guns.

Yes. I’d trust teachers more. My school happens to have an excellent and highly aggressive SRO, and I’m pretty sure she’d go banzai against a school shooter, but she can’t be everywhere. Even lefty teachers, in my experience, are generally pretty selfless where their students are concerned.
I got more information in this NES thread. Deputy at Florida school 'never went in' during shooting, sheriff says. He was on campus, took up a position outside the building but never went in. He's resigned. Cams gives a great reply in the thread.

So my guts are looking pretty accurate. We can probably trust an armed teacher to go towards the sound of gunfire than a rented cop.

Voted in westernmassnews poll

President Trump is proposing that some teachers be trained and carry concealed weapons to help keep schools safe. Do you agree with the idea?
(Yes, I think it's a good idea.) Now at 52%

Side note, prefer one thread per poll, could have missed this one.

Back
Top Bottom